Sponsored

Swapping frunk tubs to get 12-volt? Edit: Completed and it works!

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I own a '22 R1T and a '23 R1S. For some reason, my R1S came with the 12v outlet in the frunk, and my R1T did not.

I'm going to sell the R1S as it ultimately doesn't fit my needs. Before I do, I was contemplating swapping the frunk tub between the vehicles to add that option to the T (assuming the wiring harness is actually still there).

Does anyone know if this will work? Is it as simple as swapping the tubs and plugging it in?

Edited: A beautiful Friday morning and half an hour to spare - swapped the tubs between the two and it works fine. I'm lucky as my truck still has the wiring for the 12-volt. I checked before the swap and the wires are hot as well. If you have the wiring, it would also be a simple task to add your own 12v.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
From what I remember I think the wiring harness is different in the front with the 12v. Not 100% sure but it was brought up a while ago on here. That said I would definitely try if it were me. The top panels in the frunk are pretty easy to remove and you can easily trace the wiring for the plug. If you do, comment back on here so we all know.

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
From what I remember I think the wiring harness is different in the front with the 12v. Not 100% sure but it was brought up a while ago on here. That said I would definitely try if it were me. The top panels in the frunk are pretty easy to remove and you can easily trace the wiring for the plug. If you do, comment back on here so we all know.
Edited the initial post - I performed the swap today and it works! Was very simple and straightforward.

I also discovered Rivan SC does a terrible job of replacing the plastic clips. Both trucks have been in for service that required removal of the tub. Both trucks has at least 25% of the clips were broken or missing.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I also discovered Rivan SC does a terrible job of replacing the plastic clips. Both trucks have been in for service that required removal of the tub. Both trucks has at least 25% of the clips were broken or missing.
This is true, and is not limited to the tub, unfortunately.
Sponsored