Sponsored

Suspension squeaks. A little birdie told me...

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Why is it always right front? Something is root cause on these right fronts....hope we someday find out...
Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
This. ^

OTA? Yeah nah. And it’s not suspension. Only accel and slowing (not bumps or braking) do it. At least with the issue I have.

Mine has gotten obnoxious.

Anxiously waiting for my service appt.

I keep going under with intent to do something but without so much as proper torque specs it’s pretty much futile (for me at least).
Yeah would be nice to have torque specs, likely even save rivian some time.

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mobile service came to fix a panel alignment today.

While he was here, I took the technician for a drive around the block to show him the "bird chirping" squeak noise that sounded like it was coming from the suspension when driving over bumps at low speeds.

He told me:
  • This is due to the suspension's dampers (paraphrasing)
  • It's totally normal and he hasn't come across a Rivian yet that doesn't make the noise
  • They are planning to fix it with an OTA in the future
Found it interesting, and encouraging that they have a software solution at least identified. No indication of when that may come.
I was at the SC last week and got the same response.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Normally I wouldn't feel compelled to reply to Internet forum snarkiness. But the guy was super nice and seemed like he genuinely understood the situation and was not trying to BS me. In case anyone is questioning his intentions or that he was trying to get me out the door with a quick excuse. I didn't get that vibe at all.
Haha. Sounds like this guy should be in the running to be a guide supervisor then.

Sponsored

Bikermomjudi

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Mobile service came to fix a panel alignment today.

While he was here, I took the technician for a drive around the block to show him the "bird chirping" squeak noise that sounded like it was coming from the suspension when driving over bumps at low speeds.

He told me:
  • This is due to the suspension's dampers (paraphrasing)
  • It's totally normal and he hasn't come across a Rivian yet that doesn't make the noise
  • They are planning to fix it with an OTA in the future
Found it interesting, and encouraging that they have a software solution at least identified. No indication of when that may come.

Bikermomjudi

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Just dropped my RT1 at the Chicago service center. Tech heard the noise as I came to stop in garage. Car expected back tomorrow. Interested to see what response is.

Bikermomjudi

First Name
Judi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Just asked service tech what they did to eliminate the creaking noise during acceleration and deceleration. Was told that they Removed the axle wheel hub and relubricated it. Stated that not enough lubricant used at factory. Also told that the Axle bolts were replaced. States that noise is gone. Hope this helps

Deleted member 7086

I originally just had the clanking noise which seemed worse with heavy rain. Now my R1T has developed the “squishy” noise which is loud enough that the clanking noise is difficult to hear. I submitted a service request and am awaiting a date for Rivian to pick my truck up.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Don't you guys use your radios j/K 😂

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Just started hearing this today at a fast food drive through. Sounds horrible. Ticket filed.

is this the suspension or drive?

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
FWIW - my truck is in for the squeaks, rattles, and some other items. I have a loaner in the meantime (got super lucky), and the loaner does not have any squeaks or rattles when going over the same bumps in my daily commute. It was great to get the loaner because I can drive over the same exact roads and bumps for comparison purposes.

All this to say is that they have figured out how to eliminate the noises on the newer trucks. Now hopefully they can retrofit those fixes.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Just started hearing this today at a fast food drive through. Sounds horrible. Ticket filed.

is this the suspension or drive?

To me that sounds suspension related as it amplifies during compression load and release. If it were drive line related, I would think you'd hear it under any load, at any speed.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My tech told me standard squeaking from Air Suspension and Hydraulics. Its just the nature of the vehicle but he noted it in my account as he test drove it and said mine is slightly louder than most.
Sponsored