Sponsored

Suspension squeaks. A little birdie told me...

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Mobile service came to fix a panel alignment today.

While he was here, I took the technician for a drive around the block to show him the "bird chirping" squeak noise that sounded like it was coming from the suspension when driving over bumps at low speeds.

He told me:
  • This is due to the suspension's dampers (paraphrasing)
  • It's totally normal and he hasn't come across a Rivian yet that doesn't make the noise
  • They are planning to fix it with an OTA in the future
Found it interesting, and encouraging that they have a software solution at least identified. No indication of when that may come.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Mobile service came to fix a panel alignment today.

While he was here, I took the technician for a drive around the block to show him the "bird chirping" squeak noise that sounded like it was coming from the suspension when driving over bumps at low speeds.

He told me:
  • This is due to the suspension's dampeners (paraphrasing)
  • It's totally normal and he hasn't come across a Rivian yet that doesn't make the noise
  • They are planning to fix it with an OTA in the future
Found it interesting, and encouraging that they have a software solution at least identified. No indication of when that may come.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but how do you fix a suspension squeak OTA?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Exactly my thoughts. Fix a squeak through an OTA update? A squeak is caused by two materials making contact with each other.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

You send an "OTA" email to the technician directing them to replace it

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Haha yeah, mine just developed this in the past week and it's almost embarrassing. When you brake or accelerate at lower speeds, the front suspension makes squeak noises like I installed polyurethane bushings without any lube. like I'm driving around in a 30yr old truck with custom suspension. haha

No way they are fixing any of this through some OTA update

Sponsored

OP
OP
gd_r1t

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
I asked the same question. To be honest, I don't really understand well enough how suspension dampers work, but the technician was very clear that it is a mechanism of the suspension dampers that's controlled by software. It sounded like it relates to the speed/frequency of how they engage, and that's what results in the bird chirping noise.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
... and if "it's normal" why fix it via OTA or any other way?

Seems like these guys are just winging it more often than not. Like telling recent deliveries "I think you have the new tonneau hardware... maybe".

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Exactly my thoughts. Fix a squeak through an OTA update? A squeak is caused by two materials making contact with each other.
Might be a valving thing, which is a software matter.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Service told me the same thing about the sound being normal. Not the OTA part though, that seems questionable but stranger things have been done.

Sponsored

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
So just curious on this "bird" sound you got going. I've got a noise, like a squishing/creeking/griding. Is this the same or not? I swear mine is getting worse, too. Embarrassing.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
... and if "it's normal" why fix it via OTA or any other way?

Seems like these guys are just winging it more often than not. Like telling recent deliveries "I think you have the new tonneau hardware... maybe".
My experience with service advisers from every manufacturer that I have ever dealt with (Lexus, Toyota, Ford, Mercedes, Tesla) is that they tell you something to get you out the door because they have a long list of repairs to get through. With Tesla and im imagining with Rivian, since they are even busier than ICE service centers, they'll just tell you to go home see if it doesnt "self resolve" after they've "tried" their fix and open another service ticket if the problem comes back. Maybe they're incentivized to complete as many service tickets as possible whether or not it actually fixes anything, no idea.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I wonder if this guy would have said OTA would address the the Control Arm ball joint failure and the passenger front side low suspension issue. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
gd_r1t

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
Normally I wouldn't feel compelled to reply to Internet forum snarkiness. But the guy was super nice and seemed like he genuinely understood the situation and was not trying to BS me. In case anyone is questioning his intentions or that he was trying to get me out the door with a quick excuse. I didn't get that vibe at all.
Sponsored