First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I think Rivian will just sell you the vehicle as-is. OTA will be to their interest, not ours. I suspect it will be focused on data mining, not performance enhancement. If someone wants high quality, polished experience, they should not be buying any first model year vehicle (not to mention a new company). They should wait 3 generations.
Yes, OTA will be to their interest, agree. But one of their interests - check that, critical needs - is staying competitive in the marketplace. If they don't provide OTA updates such as view stitching, etc. they are going to fall further behind in the competitive marketplace which affects future sales.
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yes, OTA will be to their interest, agree. But one of their interests - check that, critical needs - is staying competitive in the marketplace. If they don't provide OTA updates such as view stitching, etc. they are going to fall further behind in the competitive marketplace which affects future sales.
They will stay competitive by introducing the R2T with the proper hardware, then the R3T with everything polished! First-gen owners are BETA testers, no matter how you look at it (crappy camera hardware and no birdseye view). They will fix the easy issues with the second-gen (updated high res cameras), then the third-gen will get all of the cool, "wish we had" items (high res birdseye view).

We all want these nice creature comforts (and cupholders) but Rivian wants to make a vehicle that gets from point A to a point less than 300 miles away, without breaking or requiring any service. They are also now in the business of profits for investors. This will result in decisions being based more on profits than happy first-gen customers. Look at all of the fanboys already, they will buy the R2T to get what they wanted in the R1T.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
They will stay competitive by introducing the R2T with the proper hardware, then the R3T with everything polished!
I take your point, and not to nitpick, but I think R1T will always be the name of the premium Rivian truck. It won’t change with model years. R2T may be a smaller lighter cheaper truck. R3T? Maybe never, maybe a monster truck?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I take your point, and not to nitpick, but I think R1T will always be the name of the premium Rivian truck. It won’t change with model years. R2T may be a smaller lighter cheaper truck. R3T? Maybe never, maybe a monster truck?
Agreed. Maybe the R3T will be a full-size truck that can actually be used as a work truck? I can dream, can't I?

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
They will stay competitive by introducing the R2T with the proper hardware, then the R3T with everything polished! First-gen owners are BETA testers, no matter how you look at it (crappy camera hardware and no birdseye view). They will fix the easy issues with the second-gen (updated high res cameras), then the third-gen will get all of the cool, "wish we had" items (high res birdseye view).
Are you using "generation" the same way you would use "model year"? If we're waiting on the next generation, just to work out the kinks or add new hardware, how long are we supposed to wait? Model generations could be 5 years. Or 10. Or if you're Nissan, like 15+ years! And then when the second generation comes out with all the new farkles, how long do we wait for that model to have the kinks worked out?

I can understand not wanting the first one off the line, but there will perpetually be the next best thing just over the horizon. The R1T better be better in the future, but it sure seems pretty good now too.

Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Test drove a friend’s R1T yesterday. There is the ability to see front + 2 side cameras in the Front mode, and rear + 2 side cameras in the Rear mode.

Unfortunately, in the current software, there is no stitching and you cannot see all 4 sides in one view. Have to select front or back.

Also the side views are a little limited and it was a little hard to tell whether I’m parked perfectly parallel to the lines :(
Did you notice does Rivian have cameras in the underside of the side mirrors? Or the side view is coming from the camera on the front fender(rearward) and front of the side mirror (frontward)?
Every car I've seen with 360 top down view so far, had a camera in the underside of the mirror.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Did you notice does Rivian have cameras in the underside of the side mirrors? Or the side view is coming from the camera on the front fender(rearward) and front of the side mirror (frontward)?
Every car I've seen with 360 top down view so far, had a camera in the underside of the mirror.
Yes, it has cameras in the mirrors.
Rivian R1T R1S Surround / Bird's-eye View Camera? Screenshot_20220118-221815_Adobe Acrobat

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yes, it has cameras in the mirrors.
It has CAMERAS in the MIRRORS?! Who cares about a bird's eyeball, this thing can see out its ears!

I'm going to have information overload coming from a 2000 Land Rover. Can you turn the cameras off? Pretty sure my neck still turns both ways.

Yup. It does.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE