First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
So I teased this in another thread but I went hunting on Amazon for a few options to black out the sunroof on long road trips since I'm going on one next week.

I measured the glass and it's roughly 41 x 40 so I stated to look at RV shades and came across this product:

It's smaller then the glass and leaves an inch gap on each side, but honestly, for the price and the fact that you can get it today it's probably the best we can get before something is made specifically for our trucks.

I'm going to install it better this weekend (it's to far forward currently), but for now here are some photos of it installed.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option IMG_20220601_101216_hdr
Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option IMG_20220601_101225_hdr
Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option IMG_20220601_101207_hdr
Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Just as a thought, you might also check with a window tinting company as a permanent option. They MIGHT be able to provide an option such as a high VLT film to darken or even black out the sunroof.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just as a thought, you might also check with a window tinting company as a permanent option. They MIGHT be able to provide an option such as a high VLT film to darken or even black out the sunroof.
Honestly I don't mind the sunroof, the wife on the other hand...

I don't want to make it darker permanently and plan on getting something like the Teslas have once it's released.

Thought this was a good stop gap though.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You might think about adding a reflecting layer on top, with the black on both sides I would worry about it absorbing heat from the sun

Wanderer000

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T as of May 27th, 2016 Challenger
I found that Rivian (both models) is in Manufacturers list on the HeatShield Store website. I have these for my last 3 or 4 cars/trucks and they are great.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-rivian-r1t-crew

This included windshield, the front windows and a Top shield so I bought them all. They also had a rear window which I did not buy.

Will report what I find when they arrive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Use a high quality ceramic tint. Even a cheap ceramic film (rayno S5) at 40% rejects nearly 50% total solar heat.

https://www.raynofilm.com/automotive/phantom-specs

I put 40% on the front windows of my GTI (rayno S5- they do make better products) and it made a world of difference. I will definitely put 40% on the roof in the R1T when it arrives...

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I found that Rivian (both models) is in Manufacturers list on the HeatShield Store website. I have these for my last 3 or 4 cars/trucks and they are great.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-rivian-r1t-crew

This included windshield, the front windows and a Top shield so I bought them all. They also had a rear window which I did not buy.

Will report what I find when they arrive.
I ordered for both the windshield and the roof. The windshield reflector is phenomenal and fits PERFECTLY.

The roof, however, is really ugly and hard to get aligned. From the inside the back is glossy black (or white, depending on what you select) with a bunch of plastic fasteners that keep it affixed to the suction cups. Also, even though it works well, I feel most heat from the windshield pouring in over my legs and waist and I'm not sure what to do about that. I've never felt so much heat through the windshield in any other vehicle and I'm not sure why.Ultimately I feel like this is a temporary solution until there's a more aesthetically pleasing one. Maybe some sort of sheer fabric insert. The roof doesn't need much, what with the tint and all. Just... something more.

Pros:
- effective

Cons:
- hideous
- hard to install
- makes you realize how much IR heat you feel from the windshield as opposed to the roof

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option PXL_20220601_185623715

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I ordered for both the windshield and the roof. The windshield reflector is phenomenal and fits PERFECTLY.

The roof, however, is really ugly and hard to get aligned. From the inside the back is glossy black (or white, depending on what you select) with a bunch of plastic fasteners that keep it affixed to the suction cups. Also, even though it works well, I feel most heat from the windshield pouring in over my legs and waist and I'm not sure what to do about that. I've never felt so much heat through the windshield in any other vehicle and I'm not sure why.Ultimately I feel like this is a temporary solution until there's a more aesthetically pleasing one. Maybe some sort of sheer fabric insert. The roof doesn't need much, what with the tint and all. Just... something more.

Pros:
- effective

Cons:
- hideous
- hard to install
- makes you realize how much IR heat you feel from the windshield as opposed to the roof

PXL_20220601_185623715.jpg
I read your comment and thought, “That con of hideous seems pretty harsh…” and then I saw the picture. To my eyes saying that is hideous is accurate.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
And here I am wishing there was a non-tinted option for the roof, and you all go do that. Shows why they shouldn't have dropped the adjustable tint feature.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

While it might be expensive, I wonder if a ceramic tint on the outside of the sunroof, (cut to the dimensions of the opening inside), with a layer of Exoshield over the entire roof glass, would provide some infrared relief, without darkening the glass too much. I've heard people on the interweb saying that putting tint on the inside can cause the glass to retain too much heat and ultimately explode, but others have exploded that as a myth.

In addition to the heat reduction, that double layer would also provide a modicum of protection from at least small rocks and debris from breaking the glass while rolling down the highways, byways, and trails.

Although the combo of ceramic tint and Exoshield may reduce the heat intrusion while driving, I'm still looking for other options to shield it when parked. In addition to interior options, other ideas include custom building/retrofitting something for the outside that would latch to the mounting points for the Cargo Bars, or attach directly to them to keep the sun from ever hitting/going through the glass. Maybe neither would be a pretty solution, but if it keeps the heat out when I'm not in it, or while camping, I'd be good with that.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

In addition to interior options, other ideas include custom building/retrofitting something for the outside that would latch to the mounting points for the Cargo Bars, or attach directly to them to keep the sun from ever hitting/going through the glass.
Hopefully someone will develop a third party mounting solution to attach a CROWS to the factory mounting points. This would be my ideal solution.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option %2F02%2Fcrows-remote-machine-gun-system-1-1280x720

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

So I teased this in another thread but I went hunting on Amazon for a few options to black out the sunroof on long road trips since I'm going on one next week.

I measured the glass and it's roughly 41 x 40 so I stated to look at RV shades and came across this product:

It's smaller then the glass and leaves an inch gap on each side, but honestly, for the price and the fact that you can get it today it's probably the best we can get before something is made specifically for our trucks.

I'm going to install it better this weekend (it's to far forward currently), but for now here are some photos of it installed.

IMG_20220601_101216_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220601_101225_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220601_101207_hdr.jpg
ugly, but if it works, it works.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
ugly, but if it works, it works.
It's 90 degrees here today and the truck has been outside in the sun all day. It works amazing honestly.

huskybrewing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I received a quote for "nano-ceramic window film" for the roof of my (future) R1T, for either Prime XR or Prime XR plus. They claim it blocks out most heat. Anyone have experience with this product? I'm in the scorching hot desert, and will need something for the heat.
Sponsored