Subsonic ear pressure/buffeting/R1S/help

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
I intermittently experience a strange subsonic ear buffeting sensation in my R1S. It can be quite uncomfortable. It feels similar to having a sunroof open (not in a Rivian obviously) at speed with no side windows open.

Initially I thought it was due to high air pressure given the almost hermetic seals, perhaps due to inadequate ventilation. But the pressure does not go away when I crack a window. The pressure also does not vary by driving speed. So I don't think it is wind noise or cabin pressure related.

This makes me think it is a subsonic issue. It is intermittent. I can't identify a consistent correlation between the episodic buffeting and factors like external temperature or speed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a call into Rivian service.
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I get something similar in my Jeep Grand Cherokee periodically. I attribute it to the air suspension.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I get something similar in my Jeep Grand Cherokee periodically. I attribute it to the air suspension.
That's interesting. A video on YouTube was saying the air compressor was loud in the R1S and was inside the cabin. Maybe when the compressor kicks on it's sucking interior air and creating a pressure differential.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's interesting. A video on YouTube was saying the air compressor was loud in the R1S and was inside the cabin. Maybe when the compressor kicks on it's sucking interior air and creating a pressure differential.
No, the suspension's air compressor is not inside the cabin. What is inside the cabin is the port for the auxiliary compressor used for filling tires, etc. Highly doubt that aux compressor is actually inside the cabin but even if it were, it would not be running while driving.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I intermittently experience a strange subsonic ear buffeting sensation in my R1S. It can be quite uncomfortable. It feels similar to having a sunroof open (not in a Rivian obviously) at speed with no side windows open.

Initially I thought it was due to high air pressure given the almost hermetic seals, perhaps due to inadequate ventilation. But the pressure does not go away when I crack a window. The pressure also does not vary by driving speed. So I don't think it is wind noise or cabin pressure related.

This makes me think it is a subsonic issue. It is intermittent. I can't identify a consistent correlation between the episodic buffeting and factors like external temperature or speed.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a call into Rivian service.
You said it doesn't seem to correlate with road speed, do you experience it while parked or only while moving?

Probably worth experimenting either way, but especially if you experience while the vehicle is stationary, I might suggest playing with the audio system to see if it might be coming through the speakers. Perhaps changing inputs or using the equalizer to reduce the low frequency output might change the signal enough to provide a clue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
Interesting thoughts all. It is very intermittent. I do sometimes hear it when stationary. The idea that it may relate to the audio system is Interesting. But when I alter music settings it makes no difference. The sound is also present when the stereo is off or on.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Interesting thoughts all. It is very intermittent. I do sometimes hear it when stationary. The idea that it may relate to the audio system is Interesting. But when I alter music settings it makes no difference. The sound is also present when the stereo is off or on.
Perhaps an intermittent ground hum through the subwoofer amp?

OP
OP

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
It is a definite pressure change that you really feel in your inner ear. Like, silent hip hop music.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
My guess is it’s the intermittent use of the lysergic acid diethylamide dispenser in the glove compartment. But just a guess…

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I have experienced this in numerous EVs of different shapes and sizes. Currently I have a Lightning extended range truck. The first 200 miles were fine, but after that I started to experience pressure in my left ear accompanied by some hearing reduction. It's at the point where the pressure remains well after the drive. I have seen multiple ENTs, audiologists, allergists, etc. but no luck.

Nothing more to add except that it's not a Rivian-specific issue. That said, hopefully the Rivian engineers take a look into your case to try to determine the cause of the ear pressure.

Sponsored

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Does the Meridian system have any sort of active noise canceling? I get this sort of sensation sometimes from ANC headphones, for example.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I haven't noticed this in my R1S but I do have terrible pressure in my F150 if only one window is cracked.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'll throw a couple WAG 🤪 things to consider:

- As mentioned, the subwoofer. You said it does not change when adjusting the sound system, I'm wondering if the sub is powered on regardless and somehow making physically long infrasonic "excursions" from electrical noise or amplifier malfunction?

- Could it be something with the climate control system, such as the fresh/recirc air gate opening and closing, thereby affecting air pressure? I know how that physically works in some vehicles, no clue on the RIvian.

I have experienced something similar while driving but not in a Rivian. It took a bit to figure out, but it is repeatable and predicatable at this point. When driving through long tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I noticed a distinct pressure wave in both ears on multiple occasions. After this happened 15 or 20 times over several years I made an effort to be "situationally aware", I realized that it occurred when two tractor trailers entered the tunnel side by side behind me - compressing the air in front of them into the tunnel and creating an air pressure wave. Yeah, it probably sounds crazy, but think about the physics of slamming a plug into a tube at 65 mph. It's not unlike a Nerf air blaster. And I can now look in the rearview mirror and predict when I will feel it, depending on how far the trucks are behind me - 50 yards vs 300 yards is a noticeable difference.
Sponsored