Sponsored

Struggling with wheel choice

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Something to remember, with any tire for a Rivian, you need a minimum 115 Load rating. In looking at TireRack, there are only 1-21" (OEM) and 1-22" (OEM) that meet the load rating requirement. With the 20" there is a variety of options. Also, with the 20", you can drop down to a 60 series (275/60/20) which opens up a lot more options. With the 60 series 20", if I'm remembering correctly, you are down to the same size as the 21"—just food for thought.
Thank you for pointing this out. With that weird note on Tirerack on the 22s, it seems like dropping down to the 60 series on the 20s gives you a ton of options that meet the speed and load ratings, all of which are much less expensive than OEM. I think the 21s have roughly an inch smaller diameter than the OEM 20s, so there would be a bit of speedo and odometer error unless you told your truck you had the 21s installed.

I had the same thought… If I stick with 20” wheels and go with a 275/60/20 tire there are two strong choices including a Pirelli Verde and Scorpion AS Plus 3. I figure one of those has to be pretty close to the stock 21” Pirelli. I only wish someone would bite the bullet and do some range testing with one of them.
Agree, those AS Plus 3 seem like a good way to go. Would be very interested to see what kind of range those tires provide.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I think the 21s have roughly an inch smaller diameter than the OEM 20s, so there would be a bit of speedo and odometer error unless you told your truck you had the 21s installed.
My speedo is off by more than I would expect with the 21's. I think the truck is calibrated for 20's which are 1" taller. So switching to 20's IMO will be closer to actual rate of travel.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Just to add to the aesthetic ding people are giving the 21's, I do think they look derpy on the R1T, but not nearly as bad on the R1S. I think they look better on the shorter wheelbase.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Pirelli's website (https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...5_55-r21/116h-xl-rivian-elect?frontId=3939500) says "...Longitudinal siping and high level lateral siping density promote greater lateral stability for all season performance including winter and wet conditions".

Seems like they'll perform fine in snow. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Winter conditions can be referring to simply cold temperatures. It’s as varied as all season is

This tire was used on Teslas, in my experience they were good to get going in a straight line, but did pretty poorly in braking and lateral hold.

Snow: Ok to get going.
Slush: Did fine.
Icey/packed snow: stay home.

Also to note if you get 22s. Michelin makes a dedicated winter tire that meets specs.m, X-ICE SUV

OP
OP
jollyroger

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I was just remembering that Rivian did that towing torture test back in Aug of 2020. They clearly used the 20" wheels, but the video seems to have different tires. I'm especially interested in what they did at the 5:20 mark. That tire looks like some sort of AS tire, based on the tread.

0:33 - Looks like AT Tires
5:20 - Looks like some sort of touring tire
6:53 - Looks like the AT tires again

I guess Rivian doesn't have a solid recommendation themselves :D
Sponsored