Sponsored

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Inspired by this thread from @RivianBlueSLC and some help from @FooF

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...han-expected-and-wow-what-a-difference.22998/

I was thinking of removing the second row for extra storage when sleeping in the car for a while, and then the above thread showed up, so I followed their footsteps and documented it for noobs like me.

Do this at your own risk. You are not supposed to do this, and I don't recommend you do.

It's quite easy, but it's not something owners are supposed to do. Also, there was some destruction going on, so you need at least a zip tie to put it back together. This is not something you do every week.

Start with the 40% because it's easier to lift out, and you need to disconnect the seat belt and it seems easier this way.

Step 1 - Disconnect Wiring Harness

First, you need to disconnect the seat electronics from the car.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704669548797

The right side in this picture stays with the seat. The left side stays with the car. (left/right is flipped depending on which seat and which direction you look at) There is a tab in the middle of the left plug that you press to disconnect. The cable on the left is held by a zip tie.
The whole assembly is on a plate that can be folded down for easier access.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704670184087

I didn't figure out how to remove this non-destructively and ended up cutting the zip tie. Be careful you don't damage the wiring harness. We need the part number of that connector to order spares.

When done, it looks like this.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704669852960

Step 2 - Disconnecting Seat Belt Electronics

If you move the 40% all the way forward and the 60% all the way back, you see this. The 40% seat belt is actually wired to the 60% seat. Disconnect the green quick connect. You can also see a black ground wire further down to that bolt on the left side. Remove the bolt, remove the ground wire, reattach the bolt.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704670011476

Step 3 - Removing Nuts from Bolts

You remove 5 nuts per seat. The bolts and nuts are covered under some plastic lids. I used a 15mm deep socket. You may be able to do it with a shallow socket, but it won't grip the nut all the way, so there is risk of damaging the nut.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704669370067

Front

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704669189826

Back.

There are two nuts in the center (only one visible on the picture)

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704669280112

Step 4 - Lift out the Seats

I lifted the 40% alone, but didn't dare the 60%. Find a buddy to help you. The seat comes out with the plastic covers, so be very careful how you put it on the ground wherever it goes into permanent storage.

Step 5 - Clean Up and Prepare for Re-Install

The result looks like this. I put the bolts back on the screws to protect the thread. I already hid one of the connectors under the carpet.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704670464676

It makes sense to do a bit of work here, and I spent more time cleaning up than taking the seats out. Wrap the connectors into a zip lock so any fluids spilling over them don't damage electronics. Also, double check where they are hidden exactly, because finding them crushed later when re-installing the seats will not be great. Finally, talk to Rivian to get replacements for the pins/zips.

I also found a $6 bag with 10 PVC pipe caps in the irrigation section at the hardware store that I'll install on top of the nuts and bolts for some protection. I also bought M10 nuts (not pictures) to cover the lower part of the bolts and protect the thread there.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1705192280865

Then some foam cut for the gaps (old garden knee pads work, but firmer would be better) and a floor mat to cover it all up.
Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1705263084869

The first approach covered it with a 3'x4' rubber mat.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1705263032560

After further experimentation, I ended up with a 3'x5' rubber backed carpet mat that covers a bit more on the side, including the bottom opening of the seat belts.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220460869

Step 6.1 - Further Mods - Full Size Spare

One motivation for the whole exercise was to add a full spare. Below is how it looks now. I still have two seats with crazy leg room in the back.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220233582

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220765976

The tire is tied down to the seat bolts, and I can store tire related stuff, too.
Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220302671

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220320547

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706389507561

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706220347936

Step 6.2 - Further Mods - Platform Bed

The end goal is to store various things, including the full size spare wheel here and build a platform on top for a bed frame. Here is a mockup with a convenient board I had sitting in the garage. (the scratches in the passenger seat are from another incident, not from this exercise)

The full spare is 13" (and 33" diameter). The spare will take up most of this space, and it will not go in horizontally, i.e. access to the spare requires removing the platform on top. Two 3x2 are about the right size to support a 3'x4' board on top. Tie it all down with a couple of straps and D-Rings and the spare should not hit the rear screen when braking hard. I'll update this post later.

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1705017116863

This gives you a 7" long bed. Note that you get exactly the same bed if you leave the seat in and fold it flat. You just don't have much storage under it.

Also, the Rivian is tall enough that I could lift the whole platform maybe another 10" for a total of 7'x48"x12" storage area. It would require more boards and support in the back. Then I can also have 2 spare wheels for the Dalton Highway :cool:

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1704670929325

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706221141259

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706389464635

Rivian R1T R1S Step by Step Removal of Second Row in R1S (DIY instructions w/ photos) 1706221119904
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Unfortunately, the Dalton is very inspirational. I wanted to drive that all the way for years (I did the first part to the Arctic Circle years ago, but I flew to Anchorage). Maybe when the last kid left to college I can take the time. For now one full size spare will be the goal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

For those watching the thread. I added a few pictures with clean up work to the first post.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Just out of curiosity, liability and safety aside for a moment. Could you relocate the lower seatbelt latch to a compatible bolt mount point and put another 40% section in the other side? Maybe even have a mobility-type installer do the install access sign-off or approve the safety aspect of it?

Stingray1478

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
can you remove just the 40% passenger side and leave the 60% bench? Or is it all or nothing? Thinking of easy access to 3rd row if only 4 rear seats are needed.

OP
OP

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

can you remove just the 40% passenger side and leave the 60% bench? Or is it all or nothing? Thinking of easy access to 3rd row if only 4 rear seats are needed.
I think yes, but not the other way round, as there is one wire going from the 60% to the 40%.

I don't know if the car would complain if the 60% is in, but that wire is not connected to anything.

OP
OP

perrochon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just out of curiosity, liability and safety aside for a moment. Could you relocate the lower seatbelt latch to a compatible bolt mount point and put another 40% section in the other side? Maybe even have a mobility-type installer do the install access sign-off or approve the safety aspect of it?
You end up with 10 M10 (IIRC) bolts in the floor that hold the seats and all seat belts in place. I would think that in general you can attach stuff to those bolts.

Another OEM 40% won't fit the bolt pattern, though (see picture in Step 5).
Sponsored