Sponsored

Steering wheel noise when extending/telescoping

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
The noise started on my R1S when temperatures got colder (not sure if it's related).

I had mine repaired a few weeks ago by mobile service. They dry-lubed the foam that it was rubbing against. No more noise, but time will tell if it's a permanent fix.

FWIW, I was told that there's an updated part (foam piece?) being designed so this won't happen with future vehicles. And a software update may be deployed to change the order of the movements (tilt/telescope); I didn't test the order of movement on mine so I'm not sure if that's actually the source of the problem (I think it always happened when telescoping).
Well, that fix didn't last long. About 10 days after I posted that, the steering wheel began making the noise again.

Has anyone gotten this fixed permanently?
Sponsored

fifedog

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have the same issue. Had mobile service come out, and they stated it's a known issue with no fix known. Apply silicon spray on cloth and wipe the foam area where the column contacts. Did that and lasted but a week.

fifedog

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Solution found. This has really been bugging me. Had to stop the easy entry. Then thought of putting teflon tape on the underside. Found this on Amazon and just put it on. Sound is gone. Now I have to wait to see how long it’s going to last but I’m hopeful.

Rivian R1T R1S Steering wheel noise when extending/telescoping IMG_3908

Firstlast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine did this as well. It was very loud. I finally brought it in to the Dallas Service Center and they had to replace the steering column. I was in and out in less than 90 minutes. No more noise!
Same for me. Replaced the steering column as the gears for telescoping were binding.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Same. It’s a rubbing squeaking noise. I don’t have roomy exit enabled so it’s not a big deal for me.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Ours started to do this just recently. Though about spaying silicone lubricant but the image with the teflon tape makes me think that its not something a spraying a moving mechanism would fix...

It's annoying sound. If continues, I'll request a mobile service...

fifedog

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Well, after a week or so... the noise isn't gone. It's better at times, but thinking there is some rubbing on the sides where the tape isn't.

fifedog

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Ours started to do this just recently. Though about spaying silicone lubricant but the image with the teflon tape makes me think that its not something a spraying a moving mechanism would fix...

It's annoying sound. If continues, I'll request a mobile service...
I think the mobile service is just going to spray it, and say good luck.

mkuluz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Silver
Same for me. Brought to service center where they “adjusted the column”…no fart sound for a few days then back to the same. I turned off the auto and now have it at a fixed location. Annoying.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I used Silicon spray and it seems to be working. It’s been a couple of weeks with no gross steering farts.. It will probably come back sooner or later, but I’ll just spray it again, if it does.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Does anyone else have a steering wheel that is noisy when it telescopes outward? I have roomy exit/entry enabled and when the steering wheel extends outward to its driving position it makes a rubbing noise that I think is from the leather boot at the base of the steering column closest to the dash.
I had this issue on my first R1S. Service took care of it (months later).
Sponsored