Sponsored

Steering wheel noise when extending/telescoping

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

Does anyone else have a steering wheel that is noisy when it telescopes outward? I have roomy exit/entry enabled and when the steering wheel extends outward to its driving position it makes a rubbing noise that I think is from the leather boot at the base of the steering column closest to the dash.
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Mine does this. Pretty loud and disconcerting .

OP
OP
CheezyNachos

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Mine does this. Pretty loud and disconcerting .
Yeah. I may just save the steering wheel position for entry and exit at the same point and only have the seat move forward/backward.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Yeah. I may just save the steering wheel position for entry and exit at the same point and only have the seat move forward/backward.
That’s what I’ve done.

Northish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Santa Cruz 5010, Focus RS
Occupation
Mfg. Engineer
Does anyone else have a steering wheel that is noisy when it telescopes outward?
Ours does/did. You can try periodically applying a little automotive interior surface protectant to it with a cloth and it'll stop for awhile. It works for us.

Sponsored

jlack33

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T & 2023 Tesla Model Y LR w/FSD Beta
Occupation
Network Engineer (Retired)
Mine did this as well. It was very loud. I finally brought it in to the Dallas Service Center and they had to replace the steering column. I was in and out in less than 90 minutes. No more noise!

OP
OP
CheezyNachos

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Mine did this as well. It was very loud. I finally brought it in to the Dallas Service Center and they had to replace the steering column.
Eek. That seems like a pretty drastic and expensive measure on their part.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Mine did this as well. It was very loud. I finally brought it in to the Dallas Service Center and they had to replace the steering column. I was in and out in less than 90 minutes. No more noise!
I will likely be doing this as well. Mine not only makes a significant amount of noise, but also has lost range of motion for telescope and elevate over time. I have a service ticket open right now awaiting action by Rivian but I anticipate a trip down to Georgia in my near future.

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Same with mine
Also door handles and windows
Just figured it needed some RivSpec Lube from the SC

Hyro

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
tech
No kidding! Mine does this too. I thought it was normal. Sounds like my otherwise perfect R1T finally has a problem!

Sponsored

sd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250, Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Yeah, mine too. Seems like a pretty lame attempt at Tesla's fart mode.
It's super annoying, but still not quite enough to having to deal with driving to the Brooklyn SC to get it fixed.

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
I have this problem...grinding noise when telescoping the steering wheel in and out a on a weeks-old 700 mile R1S. I scheduled a service appointment and got a call from a Rivian rep a few hours later. He asked me to upload a video of the issue via the app and attach the video to the service ticket, which I did. Due to my holiday and work schedule I cannot bring it in for about a month.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I have the same problem. The "fart" noise. But mine comes randomly when backing out of a parking space and going very slowly.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
I have the same problem. The "fart" noise. But mine comes randomly when backing out of a parking space and going very slowly.
I don’t know why, but since it’s been cold, fart mode has been fully activated on comfort entry. Ive noticed it gets worse after Taco Bell.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
The noise started on my R1S when temperatures got colder (not sure if it's related).

I had mine repaired a few weeks ago by mobile service. They dry-lubed the foam that it was rubbing against. No more noise, but time will tell if it's a permanent fix.

FWIW, I was told that there's an updated part (foam piece?) being designed so this won't happen with future vehicles. And a software update may be deployed to change the order of the movements (tilt/telescope); I didn't test the order of movement on mine so I'm not sure if that's actually the source of the problem (I think it always happened when telescoping).
Sponsored