First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I thought at first that I would want a start stop button like my other vehicles.

Turns out now that I have a system like Rivian without a start stop button, I find the start stop button approach to be very old school.

The system in the Rivian works great. Just get in and go. Get out and leave.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Welcome to 2022!!!

No on/off switch, one pedal driving, regen braking, etc... are all wonderful features that will make your "other" cars (unless they happen to be Tesla's) feel ancient soon enough. Even better is when you stop noticing the fuel price billboards at gas stations.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I find the opposite true. I hate that walking by the truck wakes it up and turns on the lights and infotainment, needlessly draining battery life. Yes, you can disable proximity unlock, but then you have to pull a phone, fob, or card out just to unlock the door. There’s also times where I’d be content sitting in the truck with the systems off to save battery.

I want the option to have an explicit on/off at least. Fine with making auto behavior a toggle for those who like it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yuck to on\off buttons.
i do wish that the key fob was proximity so you could just disable PAAK.
The hardware exists inside the fob. So it just needs to be enabled.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Confirmed? Really? That should be enabled out of the gate, which makes me worried.
It has a Bluetooth 5.2 chipset.

maybe they are concerned about the ongoing use of relay attacks with keyfobs.

it doesn’t seem any more worrisome than the rear seat display being locked out until recently.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Welcome to 2022!!!

No on/off switch, one pedal driving, regen braking, etc... are all wonderful features that will make your "other" cars (unless they happen to be Tesla's) feel ancient soon enough. Even better is when you stop noticing the fuel price billboards at gas stations.
That really demonstrates how far of a lead Tesla has. A 2012 Model S will have all of those things. I've soured on the company but the "moat" as Buffet would say, that Tesla has is quite large.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

That really demonstrates how far of a lead Tesla has. A 2012 Model S will have all of those things. I've soured on the company but the "moat" as Buffet would say, that Tesla has is quite large.
Well kind of. The Model S isn’t quite one pedal driving. I’ve been a Tesla owner since 2013 and have a S and an X. Good cars but Tesla the company has really gone south. Service is a particularly weak area now and why I don’t give much consideration to a Cybertruck even if I could get over the looks.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Welcome to 2022!!!

Don’t forget the polestar!

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Don’t forget the polestar!
Yes, Polestar... reminds me of the stripper at my bachelor party. Yes, a true "Pole Star" that one. :rock:

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The system in the Rivian works great. Just get in and go. Get out and leave.
Except when you just "leave" the doors remain unlocked and people steal your sh!t. My 2013 locked when I walked away, my 2022 R1T...nope.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I find the opposite true. I hate that walking by the truck wakes it up and turns on the lights and infotainment, needlessly draining battery life. Yes, you can disable proximity unlock, but then you have to pull a phone, fob, or card out just to unlock the door. There’s also times where I’d be content sitting in the truck with the systems off to save battery.

I want the option to have an explicit on/off at least. Fine with making auto behavior a toggle for those who like it.
In fairness this is just poor execution. In the years owning my Tesla I don't think I can recall many "false wake" scenarios outside of a software update. My phone could be 10 feet away and I'd not have any issue, phantom drain at about 1% on average a day. With the Rivian I took the battery out of the key fob since where it's stored is pretty close to the truck while parked. I've also disable PAAK at home like you've done because I didn't need the thing waking up every time I walk near it. These aren't trade offs of proximity keys, more so these are the effects of poor implementation.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
In fairness this is just poor execution. In the years owning my Tesla I don't think I can recall many "false wake" scenarios outside of a software update. My phone could be 10 feet away and I'd not have any issue, phantom drain at about 1% on average a day. With the Rivian I took the battery out of the key fob since where it's stored is pretty close to the truck while parked. I've also disable PAAK at home like you've done because I didn't need the thing waking up every time I walk near it. These aren't trade offs of proximity keys, more so these are the effects of poor implementation.
I disagree. I don't care how good the implementation is. I want to explicitly tell my vehicle when to unlock/turn on. I want to be able to walk right beside my truck without it unlocking unless I touch the handle. I want to sit in the seat and choose whether the truck is on or off at my command. For those who think pressing a single button is too much give an option for inferring this behavior, but I want to be in full control rather than have my vehicle assume my intent.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I disagree. I don't care how good the implementation is. I want to explicitly tell my vehicle when to unlock/turn on. I want to be able to walk right beside my truck without it unlocking unless I touch the handle. I want to sit in the seat and choose whether the truck is on or off at my command. For those who think pressing a single button is too much give an option for inferring this behavior, but I want to be in full control rather than have my vehicle assume my intent.
You want a button, that's fine. My point was only to emphasize proximity keys work successfully in other implementations and there's nothing from a tech perspective that prevents one from working in this case. For your purposes its a bit irrelevant, any maturity that myself or others are clamoring for with the proximity key is unlikely to come with a new software approach that allows a user to turn the vehicle on/off. But I'm certainly not and expert, just someone who wants the same functionality that's been common place in the automotive space for years to work on the electric pickup truck sitting in my driveway.
Sponsored