Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I was surprised to see that the 'A Better Trip Planner' site has the Rivian R1T and R1S included in its list of vehicles. PlugShare does NOT as yet. ABTP gives you a good idea of where Rivian needs to place some of their remote destination chargers too, like Yellowstone National Park!! https://abetterrouteplanner.com
Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I was surprised to see that the 'A Better Trip Planner' site has the Rivian R1T and R1S included in its list of vehicles. PlugShare does NOT as yet. ABTP gives you a good idea of where Rivian needs to place some of their remote destination chargers too, like Yellowstone National Park!! https://abetterrouteplanner.com
They were listed as Alpha for the past few months now. Has that switched to Beta yet?

Love me some ABRP! Might even consider paying for the full version come this time next year. ?

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
The app is also excellent. Keep in mind that the ABRP uses community data to make range predictions more accurate. This means that the current predicted range will likely change after the vehicles have been on the road for a while. You can also add data other than driving speed (i.e. temp, additional cargo weight, rain, head or tailwinds) to your planned route to see how that might impact your drive.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm hoping this will be my first trip. From Normal to Orlando in the LE R1S
10% final destination, and 15% to reach the charging stations. Extra 300lbs

Rivian R1T R1S Start Planning Your Rivian Trips with A Better Trip Planner (ABTP) --FUN!! Screenshot_20201124-132539_ABRP

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Goin' to Yellowstone in the winter for a photography/videography adventure!! This would probably be one of our first trips. And, I'm assuming it would be in winter, since I doubt we'd get the R1T in summer (even though we have a fairly early pre-order date/# 12/4/2018). Arriving there with just 20% battery makes me a bit nervous, but there are a couple of hotels with level 2 chargers for guests. RIVIAN NEEDS TO PUT CHARGERS HERE!! Level 2 won't get us a full charge overnight, but might after a couple nights as long as we don't use up all the battery running around during the day.
Rivian R1T R1S Start Planning Your Rivian Trips with A Better Trip Planner (ABTP) --FUN!! YellowstoneTripWinter

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Chargers...need some DCFC on HWY20 (there's a giant hydro electric dam right there that already had L2...what's the holdup?!?) sure it's closed during the winters because of Avalanche danger but meh... Also need more on HWY2 and I-90, and 97N! Even if we were able to take delivery of our 180 pack next summer, (Forest Green, 20" wheels, Black interior, and Kitchen.) Based on the current (lack of) infrastructure we'd need to charge up for an hour and a half to be able to make it home. I did some guesstimating...and that actually helped us to decide to wait until Jan 2022 for the 180 pack.

If the Canadian Border were open, it would only be an additional 30-45 minutes of charge time to travel significantly further because they have a ton more DCFC's along their Cascade range than we do in WA!

In fact the only 'Coastie' route to our Cabin in Tonasket would currently involve stopping at the 50kW Chevy Dealership in Wenatchee and charging for like 90 minutes to make it to our property with 50% charge..aaka enough juice to get back to that same charge on the return trip. That is unless my Wife sees it fit to stop somewhere for a few hours to add ~50 miles on L2? Still kinda bitter about the ~25mph L2 speeds. Meh, will only ever be an issue until the DCFC infrastructure increases.

Granted there is a free L2 in town in Tonasket and plenty along all routes...but the point of having this truck was to have enough range to get to the property and back again with little-to-no charging. It's a 225 mile trip each way and granted there's a 4000+ mile vertical climb going West to East, but still lol...

Luckily there's an Electrify America station under construction at the Safeway in Leavenworth on HWY2 so that will help. Cannot wait to see where the RAN goes and where all the new EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, Volta, etc. end up. Would love to see some Volta 350kW chargers in the wild. I've used a few of their L2's downtown Seattle when I had time to kill and needed some juice pretty slick.

Plus we've (I've) always wanted to carve out a long weekend to take the Canadian route so...it's gonna be fun, just need the infrastructure to catch up...oh...Excited to see if that 516 Consumption rating comes down at all! That'd be sweet!
Rivian R1T R1S Start Planning Your Rivian Trips with A Better Trip Planner (ABTP) --FUN!! 1606248357322

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
If the Canadian Border were open, it would only be an additional 30-45 minutes of charge time to travel significantly further because they have a ton more DCFC's along their Cascade range than we do in WA!
Hey!! GO HUSKIES!!! Nice to see a UW Huskie in the forum. My son is a UW grad, now living in Kirkland working for Google.

We've been planning on trips to Canada in our little Bolt and would have gone up there this past summer if COVID hadn't locked the border. The Canadians are way ahead of the US on EV adoption. Lots of CCS DCFC up there. We also spend a lot of time up in the Republic, WA area in the National Forest areas camping and doing out wildlife photography thing. I agree, Washington does really need some CCS DCFC up north!! We're looking forward to taking the R1T up through Canada, too!!

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Lol. Try ABRP and try to route from Seattle to Duluth, MN. You get an error. The program literally can‘t find a path for you. “No working plan for you” Haha. Excited for them to get these northern routes sorted. So much cool scenery, so little charging atm.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Lol. Try ABRP and try to route from Seattle to Duluth, MN. You get an error. The program literally can‘t find a path for you. “No working plan for you” Haha. Excited for them to get these northern routes sorted. So much cool scenery, so little charging atm.
I'm checking with the R1S 135KWh and it gave me a route. However I also played by checking the route with the lvl2 chargers and look at the route time

Rivian R1T R1S Start Planning Your Rivian Trips with A Better Trip Planner (ABTP) --FUN!! Screenshot_20201124-190126_ABRP

Rivian R1T R1S Start Planning Your Rivian Trips with A Better Trip Planner (ABTP) --FUN!! Screenshot_20201124-190034_ABRP

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Ahh the Canada route. Thanks!

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

That number matches up with charging at approximately 190Kw for 20minutes. That also represents 45% of the battery. Almost all vehicles today, except Tesla, do not have significant taper until reaching between 50% and 70% SOC. so ,if you assume a starting SoC of 10-20% and ending at 55-65%, then the 140miles in 20 minutes makes perfect sense for 200KW charging rate.
Goin' to Yellowstone in the winter for a photography/videography adventure!! This would probably be one of our first trips. And, I'm assuming it would be in winter, since I doubt we'd get the R1T in summer (even though we have a fairly early pre-order date/# 12/4/2018). Arriving there with just 20% battery makes me a bit nervous, but there are a couple of hotels with level 2 chargers for guests. RIVIAN NEEDS TO PUT CHARGERS HERE!! Level 2 won't get us a full charge overnight, but might after a couple nights as long as we don't use up all the battery running around during the day.
YellowstoneTripWinter.jpg
You’ll quickly realize that 20% really isn’t that bad and you can push it a little further if need be. As far as charging overnight via a Level 2, my experience using Tesla destination chargers is they are usually on a 80 or 100amp circuit, so I’m getting 40-50miles per hour of charge. With a normal overnight at 8-12 hours, that’s plenty of time for a full charge. I’m not saying every hotel is like this, but if you use an adapter for the CCS/Tesla conversion, you can probably get a much faster charging rate compared to Blink or some of the others that may be offered at hotels. Plugshare is great for locating these!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The app is also excellent. Keep in mind that the ABRP uses community data to make range predictions more accurate. This means that the current predicted range will likely change after the vehicles have been on the road for a while. You can also add data other than driving speed (i.e. temp, additional cargo weight, rain, head or tailwinds) to your planned route to see how that might impact your drive.
I don't think it uses community data but the Premium (fee) subscription does download traffic, charger status (how many stalls occupied) and I think maybe weather data pertinent to your trip. It does allow you to "tune" it for where, when and how you drive. For example, if you have determined that your consumption at 65 is more or less than what the program assumes you can put in what you think is a more realistic number or it can fetch the number from your car.

I enthusiastically agree that it is an excellent program and have been recommending it for as long as I have been on this forum.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I don't think it uses community data
I am confident that it does. Below is a post by an ABRP employee giving details on the different levels of confidence that they place on vehicles based on the amount of real world data they have collected by their users.

https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.com/blogs/entry/35-helping-abrp-improving-car-models/

It sounds like anyone can enroll to help them collect data (assuming they have support for a particular car). I hope that they quickly add Rivian once they are available and a lot of people with LEs will enroll so that by the time the rest of us have our vehicle.

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

No path from SLC, UT to Tucson, AZ :(
Sponsored