Sponsored

Speculation: Rivian Lease Option Coming Soon?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Bound to happen sooner or later. Would be a great way for them to get their vehicles into more driveways.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Bound to happen sooner or later. Would be a great way for them to get their vehicles into more driveways.
At this point, why wouldnā€™t Rivian create a leasing program, especially with this incentive?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
At this point, why wouldnā€™t Rivian create a leasing program, especially with this incentive?
If they are actually on the downhill side of their backlog, they should absolutely do it.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Fully agree with this idea/possibility. Itā€™s a no brainer. Guessing they just have to find a financing partner? Iā€™m not entirely sure how that would work, but itā€™s a big loophole in the IRA. Rivian might as well take advantage. It benefits both the company and future customers.

Sponsored

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
I inquired with Manhattan Leasing about their lease program for Rivians and they told me they don't know what to set the residual at. I'm not sure if this is dependent on the market or someone else that sets it. I'd like to lease mainly because the EV technology is moving so quickly and not to be committed to older technology.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If they are actually on the downhill side of their backlog, they should absolutely do it.
Considering how R1 resale values are in a freefall, I don't think it makes sense. No third party finance company wants to touch it... Rivian could subsidize leases but then they'll lose even more money and people are already upset over that.

A lease that makes sense from Rivian/banks perspective would be absolutely horrible for the customer.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Considering how R1 resale values are in a freefall, I don't think it makes sense. No third party finance company wants to touch it... Rivian could subsidize leases but then they'll lose even more money and people are already upset over that.

A lease that makes sense from Rivian/banks perspective would be absolutely horrible for the customer.
R1T resale values arenā€™t in a ā€œfree fallā€. The new-ness premium is simply being priced out.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

I wouldnā€™t say resale prices are in a free fall. Coming back to normal from being ridiculously high just means they are normal. The real test will be how they hold their value over the next few years.

Leasing directly from the manufacturer/ bank vs negotiating with a manufacturer/ bank/ dealer allows the manufacturer to offer better terms. I disagree they could not find a bank that would be more than happy to partner with them. If Rivianā€˜s changes to in house motors, etc save them enough money per vehicle, they can offer leases that are a good value to both them and the customer. Plus, they get the vehicle back at the end of the lease and can sell it as certified used.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Leasing was never not a consideration but the priority has been pre-orders. No need to focus on alternative methods to sell vehicles when your production is still limited.

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Leasing is perfect for EV's in general - not just Rivian. EV technology is progressing each year and a 36 month lease guarantees that you will ride the wave instead of being stuck with an old tech vehicle.
Sponsored