Spare Tire / Reinforced Underbody

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, I look several times per day. The only order with a spare has 22"s, which I do not want. So odd how many people ordered w/o a spare. That was the first option I selected 2 years ago.
What wheels are you wanting? I ended up changing my config from 22” to 21”, which got me almost immediate contact from Rivian. I am debating if I want to powder coat the 21” wheels or try to find 22” wheels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I guess I would offer to you that by expecting a spare, you increase the price of the "standard configuration" and force those that prefer not to have one to pay for one anyway... The buy it if you want it approach is best... Additionally in an EV if you are trying to maximize range you want to minimize weight....
I'd love to buy one. Currently not available in the shop. Who knows when they will be? (rhetorical question)

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What wheels are you wanting? I ended up changing my config from 22” to 21”, which got me almost immediate contact from Rivian. I am debating if I want to powder coat the 21” wheels or try to find 22” wheels.
Thank you for a refreshing, non-snide remark that addresses my question (they get old very quickly and people aren't as funny as they think they are). We are all talking about an $80k purchase here (more like $90k with TTL). It's pretty serious shit - for me at least.

I'm in the same boat, but what got me immediate access to the shop was switching from Max pack to Large pack.

There is an option for a vehicle in the shop that I would buy now. It has 21"s, but no spare, obviously. (It also doesn't have the underbody shield, which I want but could live without). I don't like the so called "flower" look of the machined aluminum 21"s, but would definitely powder coat them right away based on the examples I've seen here - it makes them look far better IMO. There are many excellent powder coating companies in my neck of the woods, so that's not an issue. My current config is for the 20" AT machined aluminum. The 20" AT Darks look amazing, but not $1700 more amazing. I'd be fine with either of the 20" machined aluminum wheels and could get them powder coated for less than $1700 and could choose the look that I feel is best (vs. web pics).

BTW, someone posted their 22"s on here a couple of days ago for $4500, and he's willing to ship, if you really want 22"s.

Thanks again for your reply.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I'd love to buy one. Currently not available in the shop. Who knows when they will be? (rhetorical question)
I guess since you refer to off-roading, you're interested in the 20" AT's?
You can purchase that tire at Tirerack and keep the tire in the spare location in the bed. If you get a bad blowout and are near a tire store have them send out their roadside assist truck, they can take your flat and new tire back to the shop and place the new rubber on your existing rim and then bring it back to you. If you're off-roading.. have a buddy do the same and bring the replacement back to you.
Is any of the above convenient? No, but it's a short term work-around till you get a full spare tire/rim setup.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Consider changing out your configuration from a max pack to a large pack. We don't know the date of your preorder, but that could result in your getting your configured vehicle this year. And you keep your configuration with the spare. Even if your vehicle then ships without the spare, you get an IOU and still get it later. I got lucky and my truck got delivered with the spare.
If something pops up in the shop with a spare sooner, go for it. If not, then eventually you will get to your configuration.

Edit: just saw your post while I was typing this. Already switched to large pack. You might get selected for fulfillment sooner than you think while you are waiting to get lucky in the shop. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess since you refer to off-roading, you're interested in the 20" AT's?
You can purchase that tire at Tirerack and keep the tire in the spare location in the bed. If you get a bad blowout and are near a tire store have them send out their roadside assist truck, they can take your flat and new tire back to the shop and place the new rubber on your existing rim and then bring it back to you. If you're off-roading.. have a buddy do the same and bring the replacement back to you.
Is any of the above convenient? No, but it's a short term work-around till you get a full spare tire/rim setup.
Thank you for your kind and relevant response. I'd love to get the 20" ATs right now (which my config has). I know Rivian has had A LOT of challenges, but for a touted AT monster, it's frustrating that the emphasis wasn't on mass production of 20"s. I'm sure it's a supply chain issue and I'm certain that a huge contingent of the current 90,000 orders have 20"s on their configs.

That being said, I'm looking at the 21"s because I'd love to get a R1T now, and 21"s/22"s are all that are offered. After seeing some off-road tests on YT with the 21"s, I'm more amenable to them now.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This is a solid suggestion. Personally I have two spares (unmounted) in my garage for my current truck. My tires can be a bit hard to find in stock locally, so it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Only needed one once so far, but it was a lifesaver. 😊

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Then buy the spare. Not rocket surgery.
Thanks, tell me how to buy a full size Rivian spare today, and I will (even in advance of getting the truck).

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I spec'd my truck with 21" road wheels for 90% of my driving, full underbody protecting and a full size spare. I took delivery with all the items and wasn't willing to bend on the spare since I do 30-40k annually! I'll go aftermarket 20's w/AT's for the other 10% of my adventures!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks, tell me how to buy a full size Rivian spare today, and I will (even in advance of getting the truck).
Add it to your configuration and wait for them to build your truck.

Or are you seriously pulling the toddler card of demanding it RIGHT MEOW??

I got a spare from the Shop. If you have access, keep checking, and buy when a config pops up that you're okay with.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I know Rivian has had A LOT of challenges, but for a touted AT monster, it's frustrating that the emphasis wasn't on mass production of 20"s.
Seriously not meant to be snarky but their emphasis right now is on shipping as many R1Ts as the market will absorb, staying solvent/out of bankruptcy protection, etc.

The shop was their way of saying, hey, if you could get a truck TODAY without everything you want (20" ATs, underbody shields, full size spares), would you still buy now or do you prefer to wait? Many people are cutting $85K checks and passing on some of those things. (I'm one.)

The answer is, you get to choose. Get it today without some of those things. Or if it's a must-have for you, then let others step in. Unfortunately you can't get both and that's just how things are shaking out with the supply chain issues that have been discussed ad nauseum.

The reality is that many, many people will use these as grocery getters not offroad toys...

Also, you may want to focus your attention on FB marketplace, eBay, and the forums here. Not much volume in wheels/tires but if you can't wait until Rivian offers them (or aftermarket options appear) those might be good bets. Good luck!

P.S. I like the idea of just getting an extra tire w/out the wheel. Hadn't considered that one.

P.S.S. You can use the spare area in the R1T as a cooler. It has a drain plug...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That's ridiculous. So you just have to sit in the middle of nowhere with your thumb up your ass?
I mean, whatever you're into, man.

Just order the spare, if you don't want to wait around for roadside assistance/off road recovery(this is part of rivian's roadside assistance...allegedly)

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
OK, since I'm still rather new to Rivians, and have done a wide range of searches, there are basically no wheels that fit the R1Ts "odd" lug configuration. If you can direct me to a few spare choices that are available, then I'd appreciate it - as it's not a currently available option in the Rivian shop.
Unfortunately this is true. A few posters here have managed to scrounge up wheels that work, but as someone said, I don’t know that they were cheaper than Rivian’s version. Maybe search this site for aftermarket wheels or some synonymous phrase. I do empathize with your plight. My first thought was that lots of tires are available out there, but finding a compatible wheel will indeed be tricky.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I mean, whatever you're into, man.

Just order the spare, if you don't want to wait around for roadside assistance/off road recovery(this is part of rivian's roadside assistance...allegedly)
Again, as stated many times, I have one in my config. If I want to buy an available one, from the shop today, I don't have the option you keep stating that I should do. Horse officially dead.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I had 20" wheels and changed to 21" because I don't really off-road and want to get max range, and also want to get my truck ASAP. Once I changed to 21" I got a config lock and guide contact within a few weeks. (and my latest predicted delivery was Q1 2023)

When I did change those wheels, it took off the spare (because the spare was a 20") and I didn't even notice.

When I talked to my guide yesterday about my config, I asked him if I could add a 21" spare and he said it would impact my deliver as I was already matched with a truck without a spare. So I am going to be taking delivery of a truck with no spare in the next week or so.

My plan is to buy a 21" tire from tirerack and keep it in the bed for road trips. I'm guessing if I have a blow out in a rural area I can at least get a tow and tire change. If a decent priced 21" aftermarket wheel comes out I'll add that, or sell the tire whenever Rivian will sell me a 21" spare setup in the Gear Shop.
Sponsored