Sponsored

Spare Tire / Reinforced Underbody

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Easy there chief. A LOT of places I plan to take the R1T will rule out road side assistance. Also, if you take a sharp enough rock or get a pinch flat, or worst of all, a complete shred, then fix-a-flat will do you no good. Believe me, I've been there.
Then buy the spare. Not rocket surgery.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's ridiculous. So you just have to sit in the middle of nowhere with your thumb up your ass?
Rivian has roadside service. The thumb up your ass is optional.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'd love to pay for a spare, but they are unavailable right now on Rivian's website. For instance, when I select a vehicle from the shop, there's a notice that my preference for a spare is "unavailable". I guess the only viable option is to buy a Pirelli from XYZ dealer, but isn't the lug configuration proprietary to Rivian wheels - meaning that XYZ may not have a fit? I'm still learning here...
Rivian's lug configuration is not proprietary. Search the forum there are many threads on this including discussion of aftermarket wheel options.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

If YOU don't buy a spare, then sure. You could call roadside assistance.

If YOU don't buy lunch, you don't eat.
If YOU don't brush your teeth, your breath will stink.

What is ridiculous about this? It's simple.

If I buy a Silver R1T it isn't Black. How ridiculous! LOL
well, it is kinda lame in the sense that its an adventure vehicle designed to be driven off-road so a spare should be standard not optional. and it is very ridiculous that the R1S doesnt have space for a full size spare. an inflatable wont do much.

in their defense, its not like they dont offer spares for the R1T, its just not available. there are no excuses for the R1S.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The R1T's have six piston brombo brakes in the front, a pizza cutter spare likely won't fit. That's the same reason that Hellcats and others with large brembo brakes don't come with spares.

Some people in SRT's and Hellcats have put smaller spares in their vehicles with the plan of moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the smaller spare on the rear, but that's a decision they've made since you're changing two tires instead of one.

Also keep in mind the weight of these trucks, I doubt a pizza cutter spare is going to handle the weight. That's why our options of regular tires are very limited.

Not ideal, but not much Rivian can do about it unless they want to A) Manufacture their own tire, and B) Explain to people if you get a flat in the front, you've got to change two tires.

Or they can just offer you a full size spare and you choose to buy it or not.
I'll remind you that the R1S has a compact spare option. So it's certainly possible for the R1T as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Rivian has roadside service. The thumb up your ass is optional.
Roadside service for Poison Spider in Moab or even much farther off the grid in So Utah that that? ;)

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
well, it is kinda lame in the sense that its an adventure vehicle designed to be driven off-road so a spare should be standard not optional. and it is very ridiculous that the R1S doesnt have space for a full size spare. an inflatable wont do much.

in their defense, its not like they dont offer spares for the R1T, its just not available. there are no excuses for the R1S.
^This

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If a spare is a must for you, then I would keep checking the Shop to find a truck with a spare. When you order the spare you also get the Jack, Jack plate, etc…..you get the spare and all tools to change a tire. Trying to piece together a spare is going to cost a lot more than the $600-800 (depends on what OEM wheels you get) that Rivian charges for the spare/tool kit.
Thanks, I look several times per day. The only order with a spare has 22"s, which I do not want. So odd how many people ordered w/o a spare. That was the first option I selected 2 years ago.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Thanks, I look several times per day. The only order with a spare has 22"s, which I do not want. So odd how many people ordered w/o a spare. That was the first option I selected 2 years ago.
I guess I would offer to you that by expecting a spare, you increase the price of the "standard configuration" and force those that prefer not to have one to pay for one anyway... The buy it if you want it approach is best... Additionally in an EV if you are trying to maximize range you want to minimize weight....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Roadside service for Poison Spider in Moab or even much farther off the grid in So Utah that that? ;)
Are those roadsides? If yes, then yes. If it's off-road, what do you think roadside means?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian has mentioned off-road recovery possibly being a feature of their to-be-announced membership.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian has mentioned off-road recovery possibly being a feature of their to-be-announced membership.
That gives me a lot of confidence (tongue firmly implanted in cheek).

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are those roadsides? If yes, then yes. If it's off-road, what do you think roadside means?
Sorry, but you seem to be missing my "bigger picture". I want a spare. I can't buy one from Rivian. I'm here looking for options and will continue to search the vast forum for options. Off of I-15, I-80 or whatever then, sure, roadside is fine. I'm talking about the times when a tire is most likely to get too punctured for fix-a-flat or a full shred. I've fully shredded many tires in areas with no cell service and not having a spare would have been a disaster - I've always had a spare and it IS ridiculous that Rivian doesn't provide one standard. And as a shareholder, I have a right to bitch about it. Peace :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Dude, stop it. I can only blow so much coffee out of my nose before I will do serious damage.
Sponsored