Spare Tire / Reinforced Underbody

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
So if one doesn't order the "full size" spare tire, does it just come with a pizza cutter spare? My configuration has the full size tire and reinforced underbody (and max pack). I really want all 3, but I'm getting the itchy trigger finger on one of these configurations in the shop, especially after seeing some of the powder coat jobs on the 21"s. Also, if any of you have some pics of the reinforced underbody shield, I'd love to see some closeups beyond what Rivian has on their site.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you don't order the full size spare, you get no spare at all.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No. You get a nice divider installed in the space to meet the legal entrapment requirements though.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you don't order a spare then you get no spare, at all.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you don't order a spare then you get no spare, at all.
That's ridiculous. So you just have to sit in the middle of nowhere with your thumb up your ass?

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
That's ridiculous. So you just have to sit in the middle of nowhere with your thumb up your ass?
Umā€¦.not sure if you realize this but most EVs (and cars in general) donā€™t come with spares anymore. You typically get an air pump with a can of fix of flat basically.

Solutionā€¦..pay for a spare.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Well being people are selling their 21's for upwards of $4k I think you could manage to get a aftermarket setup with a spare for the cost. Issue will be no scissor jack etc.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If YOU don't buy a spare, then sure. You could call roadside assistance.

If YOU don't buy lunch, you don't eat.
If YOU don't brush your teeth, your breath will stink.

What is ridiculous about this? It's simple.

If I buy a Silver R1T it isn't Black. How ridiculous! LOL

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The R1T's have six piston brombo brakes in the front, a pizza cutter spare likely won't fit. That's the same reason that Hellcats and others with large brembo brakes don't come with spares.

Some people in SRT's and Hellcats have put smaller spares in their vehicles with the plan of moving a rear wheel to the front and putting the smaller spare on the rear, but that's a decision they've made since you're changing two tires instead of one.

Also keep in mind the weight of these trucks, I doubt a pizza cutter spare is going to handle the weight. That's why our options of regular tires are very limited.

Not ideal, but not much Rivian can do about it unless they want to A) Manufacture their own tire, and B) Explain to people if you get a flat in the front, you've got to change two tires.

Or they can just offer you a full size spare and you choose to buy it or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Umā€¦.not sure if you realize this but most EVs (and cars in general) donā€™t come with spares anymore. You typically get an air pump with a can of fix of flat basically.

Solutionā€¦..pay for a spare.
I'd love to pay for a spare, but they are unavailable right now on Rivian's website. For instance, when I select a vehicle from the shop, there's a notice that my preference for a spare is "unavailable". I guess the only viable option is to buy a Pirelli from XYZ dealer, but isn't the lug configuration proprietary to Rivian wheels - meaning that XYZ may not have a fit? I'm still learning here...

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If YOU don't buy a spare, then sure. You could call roadside assistance.

If YOU don't buy lunch, you don't eat.
If YOU don't brush your teeth, your breath will stink.

What is ridiculous about this? It's simple.

If I buy a Silver R1T it isn't Black. How ridiculous! LOL
Easy there chief. A LOT of places I plan to take the R1T will rule out road side assistance. Also, if you take a sharp enough rock or get a pinch flat, or worst of all, a complete shred, then fix-a-flat will do you no good. Believe me, I've been there.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What you do with your thumb is up to you, but probably you should buy a spare one way or another.
OK, since I'm still rather new to Rivians, and have done a wide range of searches, there are basically no wheels that fit the R1Ts "odd" lug configuration. If you can direct me to a few spare choices that are available, then I'd appreciate it - as it's not a currently available option in the Rivian shop.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I'd love to pay for a spare, but they are unavailable right now on Rivian's website. For instance, when I select a vehicle from the shop, there's a notice that my preference for a spare is "unavailable". I guess the only viable option is to buy a Pirelli from XYZ dealer, but isn't the lug configuration proprietary to Rivian wheels - meaning that XYZ may not have a fit? I'm still learning here...
If a spare is a must for you, then I would keep checking the Shop to find a truck with a spare. When you order the spare you also get the Jack, Jack plate, etcā€¦..you get the spare and all tools to change a tire. Trying to piece together a spare is going to cost a lot more than the $600-800 (depends on what OEM wheels you get) that Rivian charges for the spare/tool kit.
Sponsored