Sponsored

Spare tire option -- thoughts on this one?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
There's no specific numbers on offset or load rating but they do claim it will fit. Could be a good option.

OP
OP

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
It’s close to what an oem 21 would cost, too, if you could get one.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
It’s close to what an oem 21 would cost, too, if you could get one.
Would work in a pinch, but you’d still need to buy a puck and jack separately. The Rivian kit will include both, according to my guide. I asked as recently as a few days ago and they’re still expecting it to be available in the first half of this year. We’ll see…

OP
OP

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nice find. I'm Interested. I’m expecting a matching spare kit in 20" AT darks to be close to $2k. So this would be significantly cheaper and would get it a lot sooner. Obviously a matching spare has it’s benefits, but I want something ASAP so I’m more comfortable on longer trails.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would guess we will see more aftermarket options pretty soon. So more options and more incentive for Rivian to get this sorted.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Good to have options, how did you find this? Their site vehicle tool doesn’t list Rivian yet.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Here’s how I did it. I’ve been informed that my EV Sportline Jack kit has been shipped. I’ll update the thread when I get that.

I’d like to know what the offset is of the wheel in that ad. The wheel doesn’t look familiar, and I’ve scoured the internet for anything with the correct offset.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
They say steel wheel in the text of the linked page, but the photo is clearly an alloy wheel. I am guessing just a placeholder. Their FAQs go into why they use an alloy wheel "Aluminum Alloy - Why has Modern Spare chosen to manufacture an aluminum wheel instead of using steel?"

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I googled "rivian spare" and this popped up.
I still am unconvinced this is the best option. I like the idea of having an OEM spare in case I ever get curb rash on a wheel. Then I can swap them out. It's also expensive--$700. And I heard the actual 21" full size will come in somewhere around $800. It doesn't include a jack or puck.

Last edited:

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
They have updated the image with a steel wheel.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I have Modernspare for my Model 3.

I had looked up if they made one for Rivian but they did not when I'd checked. I see that they do now - great.

My Model 3 came with spacesaver spare wheel+tire, jack and the spare cover. I had to buy the pucks for Model 3 in addition.

The spare for Rivian looks like just the full sized tire. Probably can do better with Ram wheels and a tire?

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S, 23 Model S Plaid, 20 Model Y P
Occupation
Retired
Here’s how I did it. I’ve been informed that my EV Sportline Jack kit has been shipped. I’ll update the thread when I get that.

I’d like to know what the offset is of the wheel in that ad. The wheel doesn’t look familiar, and I’ve scoured the internet for anything with the correct offset.
I order the same jack. Even if I can find a rivian kit it's a scissor jack which doesn't look very sturdy considering the weight. I hope mine ships soon.

OP
OP

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I found an owner that was getting the 20" wheels to replace the 21" ones he had. I bought one 21" wheel from him. I contacted Rivian to get the parts to secure the wheel in the compartment. No go x 2. "they'll be in the gear shop soon". Like others, I bought the evsportline jack. Even though I have a full woodworking shop, I'm not interested in fabricating a hold down.
Sponsored