First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus GX460, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Engineer
Greenville Here ... So, no sales or service centers in state? Does not sound like SC deserves the $1,000 annual tax on the R1T ... maybe time for a Montana LLC ...
Sponsored

Last edited:

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Tesla has limited grandfather status in NC because they had a manufacturer-controlled dealership with a license in North Carolina before March 1, 2019. See https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_20/Article_12.pdf

The prohibition on manufacturers undertaking any "dealership activities" -- as Rivian phrased it -- has this exception:
Ugh. i guess we'll have to rely on the mobile servicing and the hopes they have it lined up with rental car company locally for any repair where they have to take the vehicle away. I'm thinking now the closest to Charlotte may be Atlanta or Richmond, unless Knoxville TN gets one since Rivian and TN legislature seem to be on good terms with them opening up the RAN in the state park there already. Here's to hoping we never need service!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Pigeon Forge Service Center? Free go-kart rides while your Rivian is fixed!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Ugh. i guess we'll have to rely on the mobile servicing and the hopes they have it lined up with rental car company locally for any repair where they have to take the vehicle away. I'm thinking now the closest to Charlotte may be Atlanta or Richmond, unless Knoxville TN gets one since Rivian and TN legislature seem to be on good terms with them opening up the RAN in the state park there already. Here's to hoping we never need service!
Augusta and Knoxville probably make sense in the medium to long term. In the short term, probably Atlanta.

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We owned an early M3 that had a bunch of issues. Nearly all of them were able to be resolved by mobile techs.

The only time we actually visited a Service Center was to pick up the car after it was towed to Charlotte when a faulty MCU in the drive unit stranded us in a parking lot. Shortly after that we were informed that service would be performed by mobile in the future. Other owners in our Club have had body work, tire rotations, and even major suspension repairs performed in the parking lot at work or in the driveway at home.

I think that our proximity to a physical location will prove to be almost insignificant. We are in Charleston, SC and I have no concerns about it.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

We owned an early M3 that had a bunch of issues. Nearly all of them were able to be resolved by mobile techs.

The only time we actually visited a Service Center was to pick up the car after it was towed to Charlotte when a faulty MCU in the drive unit stranded us in a parking lot. Shortly after that we were informed that service would be performed by mobile in the future. Other owners in our Club have had body work, tire rotations, and even major suspension repairs performed in the parking lot at work or in the driveway at home.

I think that our proximity to a physical location will prove to be almost insignificant. We are in Charleston, SC and I have no concerns about it.
My neighbor has a Model X and I've seen the techs working on it in their driveway several times. Not too worried about getting service done.

It will impact how quickly we can get a car delivered in SC and when any of us will have an opportunity to drive one. I'm guessing after Easter at least and probably after Memorial Day.

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My neighbor has a Model X and I've seen the techs working on it in their driveway several times. Not too worried about getting service done.

It will impact how quickly we can get a car delivered in SC and when any of us will have an opportunity to drive one. I'm guessing after Easter at least and probably after Memorial Day.

Agreed.

Regarding our low priority status, the good news is that it looks like with the $10k credit appears to be in the final version of the infrastructure bill, so it may be advantageous to wait until next year to take delivery anyway.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Hyundai Veloster N R1T & R1S on order
Occupation
Ha ha
Charleston, here
I bought a new car from Warner Robins Ga . I just paid the $500 sales tax there and they said that I was good to go. Okay I did have to wait for the transfer paperwork to go through but it finally got done. I am not going to be stressed with this delivery yet because I’m not going to get it for a while yet. Please let me see what y’all are getting at cars and coffee in Mt Pleasant on Saturday mornings ( Towne center).

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
A Rivain Blue R1T has been spotted several times in Mount Pleasant. First sighting was about 8 days ago at the Mellow Mushroom down 17.

No one seems to know the owner and for them to have it this early I'd suspect that they may be an employee?

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Charleston, here
I bought a new car from Warner Robins Ga . I just paid the $500 sales tax there and they said that I was good to go. Okay I did have to wait for the transfer paperwork to go through but it finally got done. I am not going to be stressed with this delivery yet because I’m not going to get it for a while yet. Please let me see what y’all are getting at cars and coffee in Mt Pleasant on Saturday mornings ( Towne center).
We purchased our Tesla in Charlotte and had no issues with paperwork. Several of my friends have taken local delivery of their Teslas and the required paperwork for the DMV showed up in the mail a week or so after delivery.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Charleston, here
Not sure if they have the same deal with NC or if it's just GA but getting the SC tax with an out of state purchase is so nice....seeing people talk about $10x in taxes on their Rivian and I'm over here like "man that $500 is really gonna hurt!"

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Hyundai Veloster N R1T & R1S on order
Occupation
Ha ha
A Rivain Blue R1T has been spotted several times in Mount Pleasant. First sighting was about 8 days ago at the Mellow Mushroom down 17.

No one seems to know the owner and for them to have it this early I'd suspect that they may be an employee?
Really!
this makes me want to cruise Mt.p and look for it.