South Carolina, anyone?

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Based on today's RAN news, I'd say I'm surprised with the initial number of locations in and around SC. I look forward to more specific site details hopefully in the near future.

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.37.32 PM.png
I think they said by end of 2023 for everything, so I'm curious how they handle the rollout.

We are in Charleston and just got a SuperCharger after 4 years of "coming soon." In our Model 3 the critical charger in SC is in Greenville. Columbia is nice but rarely a requirement and was extremely inconvenient unless we were heading to Charlotte. Augusta, Ga was a good one.

Something we also need to remember is that Rivian plans to be fully integrated with other networks, so Electrify America is likely a real option and has great coverage already too. Even if nothing in SC is online by delivery day, I don't see any issues for our family, assuming the Large pack can actually get us to Greenville in a single dash.

Rivian R1T R1S South Carolina, anyone? 1616439406565
Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Columbia area here. I think we will all be waiting for a good while because the only two planned service centers I have seen mentioned near our state is in Raleigh and Atlanta. I'm pretty sure we have to be close enough for Rivian to send out their version of "ranger service".
I reserved a LE RT1 the moment they opened up the books for pre-orders but with the way things have been going I do not expect to see it until late 2022, even though my order number was in the 1300s.

Last edited:

ColRocket

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe e-hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Greenville here as well. R1T with large battery. Maybe in 2023?

Mr. Sparkle

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Columbia area here. I think we will all be waiting for a good while because the only two planned service centers I have seen mentioned near our state is in Raleigh and Atlanta. I'm pretty sure we have to be close enough for Rivian to send out their version of "ranger service".
I reserved a LE RT1 the moment they opened up the books for pre-orders but with the way things have been going I do not expect to see it until late 2022, even though my order number was in the 1300s.
Columbia area here too. Compared to you, I am a much later reservation holder as I didn't pull the trigger until Father's Day 2020. I figure there are about 25,000 pre-orders ahead of me. As you noted, our distance from the nearest service center is considerable and service access is one of the criteria for determining delivery priority. My configuration is an R1T Explore with the big battery and neither of those are launch items. So, I am also resigned to being way, way down on the priority list and have no expectation of even speaking to a Guide until sometime in 2023.

Sponsored

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Feb of 19 reservation for R1T. I had always held firm that I would be receiving mine in August, but based in the regional nature they are taking with delivery, I'm now thinking November.

Disappointed they didn't meet my created timeline, but at least it gives more time for the potential improvements to the Federal credit. Obviously the $10k bump would be great, but even converting it to a point of sale rebate would be beneficial.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Charleston resident/frequent Clemson visitor here. Glad that I won't be the only one driving my R1S up and down I-26 (other than anyone who bought one in Ohio).

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
Hey folks - checking in from Waxhaw,NC so close enough lol. Hoping we get to see a few R1Ts in the coming months

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Has anyone been contacted?

I'm still thinking I could see November/December, but have not been contacted by a guide yet.

LE R1T

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
SC still doesn't allow direct auto sales from the manufacturer so I imagine we're still at the bottom of a long list, seeing as the company's waitlist is likely to explode as these begin delivery to other states and the company does a likely highly successful IPO. SC also doesn't yet allow manufacturer service centers either, though apparently mobile service capabilities are not (yet) outlawed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes#States_with_total_direct_sales_bans

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

SC still doesn't allow direct auto sales from the manufacturer so I imagine we're still at the bottom of a long list, seeing as the company's waitlist is likely to explode as these begin delivery to other states and the company does a likely highly successful IPO. SC also doesn't yet allow manufacturer service centers either, though apparently mobile service capabilities are not (yet) outlawed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes#States_with_total_direct_sales_bans
I have a while until this will be relevant, but if direct sale home delivery is not allowed in SC, what is to stop an SC resident from arranging delivery in another state and then just registering the car in SC as a resident? I assume people buying Teslas will have some experience with this.

CarolinaEAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 4Runner, & s0---0n a 2022 LE R1T.
I have a while until this will be relevant, but if direct sale home delivery is not allowed in SC, what is to stop an SC resident from arranging delivery in another state and then just registering the car in SC as a resident? I assume people buying Teslas will have some experience with this.
It seems there are still ways to get around some of this, but with some additional process and creative work arounds. I found an example of how Tesla is using loopholes in Michigan:
https://electrek.co/2020/01/23/tesla-official-loopholes-stupid-laws-to-sale-michigan/

Is anyone on here aware of existing efforts to push the direct sales issue forward in South Carolina?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It seems there are still ways to get around some of this, but with some additional process and creative work arounds. I found an example of how Tesla is using loopholes in Michigan:
https://electrek.co/2020/01/23/tesla-official-loopholes-stupid-laws-to-sale-michigan/

Is anyone on here aware of existing efforts to push the direct sales issue forward in South Carolina?
We should definitely be hitting up our state representatives about this for starters. End of the day, if I have to get myself to Charlotte or Atlanta to get my Rivian then so be it. That or I can take delivery at my in laws' house in Fort Worth and road trip it home.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Acura MDX & 2016 Acura RDX
Living just south of Charlotte, I go to Charlotte to purchase vehicles so this is not a big problem for me. But I agree that we need to get SC to change these terrible laws.

Mr. Sparkle

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Has there been any hint of Rivian opening a service center in Charlotte? I've only seen Atlanta and Raleigh mentioned in the service center thread, but may have missed it. Charlotte would be way closer than Atlanta or Raleigh for me.

I've got the afternoon off, so I started wondering if there was any movement on having direct EV sales in SC. So I started browsing...

Here's the House bill allowing direct sales of electric cars in SC:
https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess124_2021-2022/prever/4029_20210304.htm

It was sent to the House Committee on Labor, Commerce and Industry back in March where it has not been, and probably won't be, acted on:
https://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php?billnumbers=4029

Here are the members of that House committee. Unfortunately, my representative is not among them, but if yours is, please contact them to support the bill and inquire about its status:
https://www.scstatehouse.gov/CommitteeInfo/houselci.php

The Senate had its own bill on the topic from the 2019-2020 session:
https://www.scstatehouse.gov/query....843142&result_pos=0&keyval=1230379&numrows=10

It was sent to the Senate Transportation Committee where it disappeared without a trace. Here are the members of that committee. Once again, my state senator is not on this committee, but if yours is, please contact them and ask why it hasn't moved forward:
https://www.scstatehouse.gov/CommitteeInfo/senatetransportation.php

In particular, the 2019 legislation was introduced by Senators Campsen and Senn, who together represent parts of Charleston, Dorchester, Beaufort, and Colleton Counties. If you are one of their constituents, please get in touch with them and encourage them to keep at it. I don't know this, but would be shocked if the auto dealers didn't use their influence to kill it. The legislators need to hear from constituents to give them enough starch to stand up against the opposition.

If I though it would do any good, I would be contacting these legislators. But, I really don't think they care what some rando from outside their district has to say on the matter. On the other hand, if you are a constituent of any of the folks on either of the relevant House or Senate committees you can absolutely get their attention. If you don't know their contact information, the homepage of the legislature, www.scstatehouse.gov, has a handy "Find Your Legislators" tool.

Frankly, I doubt there's much chance this will do any good unless Rivian and/or Tesla put their lobbying resources into it. Given that we're a backwater compared to places like Connecticut and Michigan, it seems unlikely they would come here and try. But, e-mails, phone calls, and social media are free and stamps are pretty cheap, so it can't hurt to try and make our representatives explain why it's not happening.
Sponsored