Sponsored

Someone help me out on this - can't adjust ride height with cruise engaged?

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

I've been scratching my head about this since getting my R1T 4 months ago. I'd love it if someone would point out something obvious to me!

When I've got cruise control engaged, I'm not allowed to adjust ride height. For the life of me, I can't imagine why this interlock would be required.

Ideas?
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I've been scratching my head about this since getting my R1T 4 months ago. I'd love it if someone would point out something obvious to me!

When I've got cruise control engaged, I'm not allowed to adjust ride height. For the life of me, I can't imagine why this interlock would be required.

Ideas?
Nope, other than the assumption that it sets variables tied to ride height and drive mode when the system engages. It could, in theory, recalculate when changing height and/or drive mode while engaged. But it doesn't.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nope, other than the assumption that it sets variables tied to ride height and drive mode when the system engages. It could, in theory, recalculate when changing height and/or drive mode while engaged. But it doesn't.
The thing that causes problems for this idea (I've thought about it too) is automatic ride height adjustments are still active.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Ideas?
In cruise height adjustment is locked out. So is drive mode changes, if you want to change from all purpose to conserve you need to turn off cruise.

I have not had it be an issue just something to be aware of.

Edit: I see comments below about automatic changes working, my above references are specifically for the manual button adjustments.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The thing that causes problems for this idea (I've thought about it too) is automatic ride height adjustments are still active.
Does it actually make the adjustments though? I tend to turn auto off because it can't predict bad road surfaces.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does it actually make the adjustments though? I tend to turn auto off because it can't predict bad road surfaces.
Mine does height adjustments based off speed. Around 55-60mph range it will lower from standard to low and then raise back up around 35ish.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

My guess is that height adjustment and drive mode switch are considered "the same thing" so both are locked out. But the actual "adjusting height" isn't a problem, so Auto height adjustment is still fine. It's literally the code that locks out the controls is simply locking out the *controls* to do it.

It definitely auto-height-adjusts in Driver+. Set Conserve mode, then engage D+ when entering the freeway in slow traffic, telling it "go ahead and go up to 80 MPH when you can" and it will drop to Low and even Lowest as you increase speed.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. It drops from standard to low for sure. I think it also goes from low to standard when you get stuck in traffic.

stewart

First Name
stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chevy Blazer
Occupation
Consultant

Ideas?
I am not sure why they put the interlock in. I suspect it has something to do with siwtching from 4 wheel to two wheel drive while in cruise. Maybe too much control logic to sort out. I didn't spend much time worrying about it. I have developed a habbit of switching mode as I get on the highway before I am ready for cruise control. If I forget I just tap the brake to go out of cruise, hit the convserve mode and reset the cruise. It will go into cruise while it is being adjusted.

OP
OP
maddave12

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

I am not sure why they put the interlock in. I suspect it has something to do with siwtching from 4 wheel to two wheel drive while in cruise. Maybe too much control logic to sort out. I didn't spend much time worrying about it. I have developed a habbit of switching mode as I get on the highway before I am ready for cruise control. If I forget I just tap the brake to go out of cruise, hit the convserve mode and reset the cruise. It will go into cruise while it is being adjusted.
Agreed that it's not hard to work with. It just feels like a unnecessary restriction. I imagine they'll remove it when they can get around to address whatever complexity it introduces.

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

It definitely seems backwards to me. Why would Rivian feel it’s better to make me drive while I look at the center screen vs having lane centering and adaptive cruise do that safety stuff while I’m a little distracted?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It definitely seems backwards to me. Why would Rivian feel it’s better to make me drive while I look at the center screen vs having lane centering and adaptive cruise do that safety stuff while I’m a little distracted?
Drive modes change the pedal mapping so it's possible that's the reason. Rivian might've just found it easier to lock the whole screen out.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's probably just Rivian being cautious. Easier to reduce variables than to worry about supporting every edge case when a 7k+ lbs vehicle is traveling at lethal speeds.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Drive modes change the pedal mapping so it's possible that's the reason. Rivian might've just found it easier to lock the whole screen out.
This seems like it would be a reason why they wouldn’t want my foot on the pedal when changing drive modes at freeway speeds. It seems like software would manage any torque change better than my foot.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This seems like it would be a reason why they wouldn’t want my foot on the pedal when changing drive modes at freeway speeds. It seems like software would manage any torque change better than my foot.
Cruise is probably somewhat closed loop, introducing new variables would require a lot of testing from a software perspective. Easier to just not allow the change.
Sponsored