Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
As I often do while on boring work calls, I was perusing the Rivian support pages hoping for new info. Maybe it's been here the whole time and I just missed it, but the below details on how Alexa will work is new to me.

Regarding Privacy:
What data does Amazon Alexa record?
Visit Amazon's website to learn more about how Alexa uses information. Alexa is not active until it detects the wake word, "Alexa."
Regarding Functions:
What can Alexa voice commands do in Rivian vehicles?
Alexa is integrated from the ground up in your vehicle so you can control nearly anything managed by the driver display and touchscreen with your voice — even some physical controls. Simply say 'Alexa, turn down the air', 'roll down the windows', 'open the front trunk' or anything else that comes to mind.
And completely unrelated, they say size of the center console is roughly large enough to fit an entire backpack. So there's that...
Sponsored

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
As I often do while on boring work calls, I was perusing the Rivian support pages hoping for new info. Maybe it's been here the whole time and I just missed it, but the below details on how Alexa will work is new to me.

Regarding Privacy:

Regarding Functions:

And completely unrelated, they say size of the center console is roughly large enough to fit an entire backpack. So there's that...
Nice find. I combed through those the other day and these Alexa questions are brand new. There are a few other new ones in there as well, including some about Driver+ (I won't hijack your thread by posting them here).

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Nice find. I combed through those the other day and these Alexa questions are brand new. There are a few other new ones in there as well, including some about Driver+ (I won't hijack your thread by posting them here).
Feel free to hijack away. What's new with D+?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Feel free to hijack away. What's new with D+?
I think this one, confirming it will be an interior camera as opposed to a sensor in the steering wheel:
How is Rivian Driver+ hands-free?
We’re able to develop a hands-free system through the use of an interior camera to monitor for driver alertness. If the system detects your attention drift from the road, you’ll be prompted to place your hands on the wheel to continue driving with Driver+ engaged. Driver+ is designed to support drivers and does not replace their attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle.

I'll just need some sunglasses with eyes painted on them so I can nap.

And maybe this one, which isn't new at all, but I don't remember seeing it:
Is Rivian Driver+ a Level 3 autonomous driving system?
No, like all vehicles with driver assistance features available today, Driver+ requires your full attention on the road and you should be ready to take control of the vehicle.

This was known information, but I don't think it was in the support section:
Do the second and third row seats fold flat?
Both the second and third row fold nearly flat to about 3°.

I've been trying to figure out if they add to the top of the list, because in the past it seems like details have been mixed in, but I have a feeling the most recent updates are above " Can I get an air compressor in my vehicle? ". Somebody could prove me wrong.

I mainly keep an eye on Purchasing > Configuration and Products > Vehicles.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
What's the future of dashboard-based integration and connectivity? Mercedes Benz thinks it has the answer with the new EQS option hyperscreen.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/08/is-the-mercedes-benz-eqs-hyperscreen-the-future-of-infotainment/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-eqs-hyperscreen-key-to-revenue-future/

Reading between the lines, a number of really pivotal issues arise:
1. Will the OS be proprietary or not?

2. Will dashboards be full screen displays, like the EQS hyperscreen, or pop-up/pop-in tablets, like Tesla and Rivian? This may depend on whether we're talking "luxury" or mass market vehicles.

3. If services will be a big revenue generator for auto firms, partnerships with service providers, like Google, Apple and Amazon, are likely key to generating a lot of service-based revenue.

I'm not really an IT, software, software as services guy, but it appears these matters will quickly become pivotal to BEV competition, at least at the high-end of the market. Eventually, they'll trickle down to the mainstream market.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I'm getting a Lucid Air Dream Edition in April/May and a Rivian R1S this fall. They both use Alexa. This will be the first time I've ever owned two cars simultaneously in which I might be able to operate all the features without having to think twice about which vehicle I'm in.

It's always been particularly disorienting with a Japanese car in the mix, as the Japanese almost invariably do everything the reverse of western convention. (Japanese lights come on by pushing switches downward; hot and cold faucets are reversed in Japan; "yes" often means "no", especially when negotiating a deal; even appendectomy incisions are in a different direction in Japan.) I can't tell you how many times I've taken my Tesla out of gear on the highway because the gear stalk is where my Honda places the wiper switch. (And even the stalk operates in the opposite direction for turning on the wipers in the Honda from any other car I've had in which the wipers had a stalk control.)

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I can't tell you how many times I've taken my Tesla out of gear on the highway because the gear stalk is where my Honda places the wiper switch. (And even the stalk operates in the opposite direction for turning on the wipers in the Honda from any other car I've had in which the wipers had a stalk control.)
I’ve done this as well! I have a Tesla S and Toyota 4Runner.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
A question about Alexa . . . .

Will Alexa software be embedded in the Rivian, or will it only work in the vehicle via your smartphone?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student

Will Alexa software be embedded in the Rivian, or will it only work in the vehicle via your smartphone?
I believe it’s fully integrated into the vehicle itself

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Embedded in the Rivian & with some "local" capabilities that will not require network connectivity. Hopefully all of the vehicle control features are that way.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Does anyone else find that delay both excessive and annoying?
To be fair, the video is over a year old and is likely not representative of the production level performance.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

That delay feels production level, based on my home Alexa usage.

This is where the voice recognition processing and connectivity comes into play. By default, and if there is a good connection, the voice recording of you saying "Alexa, do X..." would get sent to AWS (their virginia region), where their most up to date voice processing occurs. Once processed and determined that you are trying to talk to your Rivian, it will then send a request to a Rivian specific service (probably also running in AWS), that then needs to send another request to your truck to tell it to change the map color.

We've heard that, much like Echo Auto devices, it will have some local voice recognition, but I'd think it still needs to make the loop through Rivian's service to get sent back to the truck unless Amazon allows for some direct local integration.
Sponsored