Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
We've heard that, much like Echo Auto devices, it will have some local voice recognition, but I'd think it still needs to make the loop through Rivian's service to get sent back to the truck unless Amazon allows for some direct local integration.
Vehicle functions such as adjusting the HVAC, opening the frunk, etc have to work even when there is no network connection at all and the Alexa Auto SDK supports this.
Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Vehicle functions such as adjusting the HVAC, opening the frunk, etc have to work even when there is no network connection at all and the Alexa Auto SDK supports this.
All those controls would be available through the touch screen or other knobs and buttons.
It's good to see that the SDK supports local control. From the docs: "The Local Voice Control (LVC) extension provides car control, communication, navigation, and entertainment functionality, with and without an internet connection."

This is the flow I was describing, where the two right columns are Alexa's speech recognition and Rivian's service respectively.
Rivian R1T R1S Some new details on Alexa integration carcontrol_sequence_online

What I don't see in the docs from a quick scan is how or when the Auto SDK decides to use the local voice recognition and the LVC. That decision is probably the largest contributor to the lag in action from command to effect.

Regardless, that's up to Rivian to figure out, not me. :)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
All those controls would be available through the touch screen or other knobs and buttons.
Of course but my comment, perhaps not worded clearly enough, was that those things must work with Alexa when there is no network connection.
Sponsored