Some doors hard to close

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Just curious if anybody else is seeing issues with some of the doors being difficult to close. The three doors on the right side of my truck (yeah, including the gear tunnel door) have to be slammed or they won't close. Just about 100% of the time when someone gets in the passenger side of the truck they have to try to close the door multiple times. The drivers side doors are perfect.

The truck has been in the shop 2x now to resolve, and they still can't get it right.
You need a tight seal if going in water. Jeep Wrangler is the same way.
Sponsored

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
The sound / water proofing makes the last door hard to close, regardless of which one it is.

They need a tight seal to be able to ford 3 feet of water.
You nailed it. It seems to be the tight cabin/last door to close which is usually the passenger door in my case.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

The sound / water proofing makes the last door hard to close, regardless of which one it is.

They need a tight seal to be able to ford 3 feet of water.
While you need a tight seal to ford 3 feet of water, most people would rather have a door they can easily close.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
While you need a tight seal to ford 3 feet of water, most people would rather have a door they can easily close.
yeah, it’s a little silly to think of with framed windows but implementing the auto window lowering that’s common on frameless windows would completely solve this and seem to be a simple way to head off owner complaints.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
It's not likely a pressure issue. Think about the sheer volume of air in the cabin vs. the relatively small amount that's being displaced by the closing door in the last couple of inches of travel. Air is compressible, and the pressure change is going to be minimal, even considering the surface area of a door. You also have the fact that the climate control ducts are open to atmosphere, the cabin isn't completely sealed.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Sounds like the doors are not installed or aligned properly. Probably the door latch is grinding on the catch plate loop since they are out of alignment. This flexes the door at the hinges and bends it a bit. Causes you to slam to doors to close them and wears out the door hinges over time.

here’s a test I use at my shop
Take some blue painters tape and wrap a small piece on the door catch plate loops. Put the tape where the catch plate loops contact the door latch. Then Open and close the doors a couple times and see if the tape is scuffed or scored. It shouldn’t be. If it is then the door catch plate or door itself are not lined up and will need to be adjusted. The door latch should line up dead center with the catch plate
eg. <-

if the catch plate is not aligned <_ then the door will flex on the hinge bushing and bend itself to close when you slam it.

If it’s not aligned you need to remove the door catch plates and see how the doors fit to the body when relaxed. If the doors alll fit flush and the body lines are good then just adjust the catch so it’s not grinding. If the doors don’t line up when the catch is removed then the whole door will need to be adjusted at the body side of the hinges.

seen this a ton on Tesla and my R1T had it on one door. The inspectors at the end of the line notice the door is not aligned So they just hammer the door catch plate up or down a few mm to force the door into place and the lines to sync up. But I’m about 6mo your door hinges will have play and start squealing.

after properly aligning my door all four of them close with only a soft push form open. You should not ever need to slam a door

Last edited:
OP
OP

silby1383

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Sounds like the doors are not installed or aligned properly. Probably the door latch is grinding on the catch plate loop since they are out of alignment. This flexes the door at the hinges and bends it a bit. Causes you to slam to doors to close them and wears out the door hinges over time.

here’s a test I use at my shop
Take some blue painters tape and wrap a small piece on the door catch plate loops. Put the tape where the catch plate loops contact the door latch. Then Open and close the doors a couple times and see if the tape is scuffed or scored. It shouldn’t be. If it is then the door catch plate or door itself are not lined up and will need to be adjusted. The door latch should line up dead center with the catch plate
eg. <-

if the catch plate is not aligned <_ then the door will flex on the hinge bushing and bend itself to close when you slam it.

If it’s not aligned you need to remove the door catch plates and see how the doors fit to the body when relaxed. If the doors alll fit flush and the body lines are good then just adjust the catch so it’s not grinding. If the doors don’t line up when the catch is removed then the whole door will need to be adjusted at the body side of the hinges.

seen this a ton on Tesla and my R1T had it on one door. The inspectors at the end of the line notice the door is not aligned So they just hammer the door catch plate up or down a few mm to force the door into place and the lines to sync up. But I’m about 6mo your door hinges will have play and start squealing.

after properly aligning my door all four of them close with only a soft push form open. You should not ever need to slam a door
Wow, Great write-up! I need to show this to my service tech as they have had 2 tries at it and failed!

Seabreeze2112

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Truck Driver
Pretty sure there is a air pressure equilazation baffle ( or whatever they are called,) behind the rear seats & blow into the tonneau storage area. That is why the shelf above the rear seat is perforated.
Sponsored