First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
For those following solid-state battery tech, this is an interesting read from a supplier to Samsung SDI.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210803000641
Solid state batteries are the fusion reactor of the EV industry. "It's just a few years away from everyday use, we finally figured it out."

It's refreshing to see someone who is honest and realistic about the state of the product.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Hopefully the average consumer will comprehend that this technology is not imminent and their next vehicle will not be a solid state BEV so get off the sidelines and purchase what is available now.
We've seen this rational with Forum members who are probably more knowledgeable than average of EV's so it's just one more hurdle to EV adoption.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Don't buy your Rivian under the impression you can easily swap out the batteries period

Don't buy your Rivian under the impression you'll even be able to exchange the tried-and-true Li-ion batteries for any other battery tech that becomes available. It doesn't work that way.

Don't buy the very first solid state battery vehicle from ANYBODY unless it's a well established manufacturer where you trust their warranty and longevity to not be ruined by the batteries being a catastrophe.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Don't buy your Rivian under the impression you can easily swap out the batteries period

Don't buy your Rivian under the impression you'll even be able to exchange the tried-and-true Li-ion batteries for any other battery tech that becomes available. It doesn't work that way.

Don't buy the very first solid state battery vehicle from ANYBODY unless it's a well established manufacturer where you trust their warranty and longevity to not be ruined by the batteries being a catastrophe.
Dam. Well said.

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Interesting read and thanks for posting @electruck . Gives me more 5-8 year confidence in buying a Rivian looking at the issues faced with cathodes/electrolytes/5% cost realities. I have been following SS company QS with some healthy skepticism based on some SPAC comments on whether SS is a short-term reality or decades off.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Interesting read and thanks for posting @electruck . Gives me more 5-8 year confidence in buying a Rivian looking at the issues faced with cathodes/electrolytes/5% cost realities. I have been following SS company QS with some healthy skepticism based on some SPAC comments on whether SS is a short-term reality or decades off.
I really do believe with solid state that the first 90% of the development will take less time than the last 10% is going to take.

I think my Rivian will be well used by the time solid state is a viable commercial option for private vehicles.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You nailed my main thought here, which is that we're safe making a 5+ year vehicle purchase now.

I definitely don't think it will be decades, but I do believe it will be 5+ years until SSB tech be compelling enough to upgrade.

Another consideration is that beyond the commercialization of SSB cells themselves, it will take additional time to have enough data & dial in battery management systems for SSB. I've heard Rivian takes pride in their Battery Management System & sees it as a competitive strength.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I've heard Rivian takes pride in their Battery Management System & sees it as a competitive strength.
Way to bury the lede there. ?
Sponsored