First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Somebody who is smarter than me, please do the math at what that would mean for current requirement at let's just go with 460v/60/3 and 6 charging stations with full speed charging going to 6 vehicles.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
There is a crap-ton of new battery tech in the pipelines. Most of it will never make it to market. The various solid state ones do look promising. This particular one looks to be many years out.

In general, I expect a cars worth of batteries to cost half as much every 5 years or so for the next 20 years. If the batteries charge in minutes then we don't need as much range, so less batteries means lower costs. Or you could cram twice as many in for more range.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Standard reply about any "breakthrough" in solid state batteries: They've been "3 years away" for way more than 3 years at this point. Lots of labs and companies can make a handful of cells that seem incredible. Nobody has been able to manufacturer even a smallish batch, let alone a large one.

If someone ever does make a breakthrough, it will indeed be game-changing. At least in some ways. It's great to be able to theoretically charge a battery that fast, but then there's the problem of power supply. These batteries won't just have to be made at high enough scale for the vehicles -- and that will be MASSIVE scale -- but also at enough scale to put at every charging station that wants to supply power at those rates.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Somebody who is smarter than me, please do the math at what that would mean for current requirement at let's just go with 460v/60/3 and 6 charging stations with full speed charging going to 6 vehicles.
I have to believe at some point we are going to have DC charging stations that sit right off of medium voltage lines for the fastest charging. (The 3 minute example for a Rivian sized battery is ~2.5 Megawatts average)

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have to believe at some point we are going to have DC charging stations that sit right off of medium voltage lines for the fastest charging. (The 3 minute example for a Rivian sized battery is ~2.5 Megawatts average)
True! I wasn't thinking that. I was just thinking whqt a massive current this fast charging would require and is it plausible for that to be serviced by electrical services.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think there are articles about "breakthroughs" in battery technology about once a week because they generate clicks. Any "breakthrough" would take years to scale.

Still waiting on that fusion energy that has been promised to be just around the corner for decades. And flying cars. And the Male Pattern Baldness cure.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There will be many big breakthroughs in battery tech in the next 10 years. And during that time solid state batteries probably will FINALLY make it to market. I certainly would not hold off buying an EV you like now waiting for any of these advancements. If battery tech improves that much in the next few years, there may be new ways to swap out our older battery packs with better tech at a *reasonable* price. And very smart people are working on battery recycling technology so we don’t need 500 new mines to meet demand.

I guess my point is don’t focus too much on 1 specific new technology. 10 years from now there may well be possibilities That aren’t even on our radar yet!

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It'll be ready by the time you have to replace your 1st generation R1 battery pack....10yrs

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, a lot of buzz has been surrounding solid-state batteries for some time, with Toyota looking to be ahead of the game, but even then, their first models with solid-state batteries will only be plug-in hybrids. I assume to vet out and really prove out the technology first.

So I don't think the '10 years from now' estimate is that far off. Don't hold off any purchases because you want to wait for a solid-state battery model.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

At that size of a draw we'd need a different grid design anyways.

I'm not sure how the grid would synchronize with that level of demand randomly starting and stopping.
Sponsored