First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I use an IceCo 12V fridge/freezer chest (VL35) and a Jackery 500 with a 100w solar panel for mine when I go out camping.

My combo is a fair bit more expensive, but I can run the fridge pretty much non-stop for weeks with the setup (and also charge oodles of other things).

Very cool though.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It's funny, I thought nothing could beat the ridiculous price of the two Yeti coolers I have.

I stand corrected.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes. I bought one of their solar cookers not that I needed it. But then I don't really need an R1T either. In any case I am not familiar with goSun's cooler but I do have an ARB which we use to truck whatever is left over in the fridge at the end of the seasons between home base and the summer place. Also cold drinks etc for the road, of course. On the road I just plug it in to the car's "cigarette lighter". I estimate it adds less than 1 Wh/mile to the consumption (normally 282). Overnight on the road I plug it into a Jackery 1 kW pack which it pulls down maybe 20% in 14 hrs. It uses a 12V compressor which draws 45W when it is actually running..

At home rather than just leave it in the garage we put it in an out of the way corner in the kitchen and use it to keep soft drinks cold. It turns out to be quite handy for that.

As an experiment last summer I did not plug it into 120 ever but rather ran it exclusively from the Jackery which charged adequately from a couple of 100 W solar panels. So yes, you can have cold and even frozen food in the boonies for extended periods - as long as the sun shines.
Sponsored

Last edited: