Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
The company states they are in the engineering phase of the product's process aimed at Teslas and that a version for Rivians is also in the works. It is supposedly a kit add on for the vehicle (both a Roof flex and stackable flex panel along with a 6kw inverter + battery). They state about 2000 watts of solar power (granting upto 60 miles of added range and stores 30 miles of "emergency range"). I thought this was interesting.

Sponsored

Last edited:

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
That would be great for remote camping trips ! I'm guessing the range numbers apply to Tesla and would need to be adjusted for Rivian.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

That would be great for remote camping trips ! I'm guessing the range numbers apply to Tesla and would need to be adjusted for Rivian.
Quick math is 8 hours of full sun gives you 33 miles of range.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
This is really interesting. I have just put together a DIY version of this exactly for camping trips.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Quick math is 8 hours of full sun gives you 33 miles of range.
3 day family camping trip, coming out with about 90 more miles of range than I went in with... sounds like a winner to me.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm gonna channel my inner Mark Watney with one of these.

Watney's trip was 2000mi; if you did that in an R1T getting 33mi of range per day it would take two months!
that's a lot of potatoes

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
but why?

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
And that is assuming you have direct sunlight and not blocked by mountains, trees, hills, etc.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
And that is assuming you have direct sunlight and not blocked by mountains, trees, hills, etc.
True. For me, I have been planning a trip to Chaco Canyon in northern New Mexico. I'll probably be in canyon for about two weeks and I expect that my rig will do enough to keep the vehicle topped off during the day for whatever I use overnight when the sun is down.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I like the idea of a passive charge in the middle of nowhere but I think I'd prefer a big roll of panels that I could just unroll on the ground near the car rather than mount to the top of the car. Then when I'm done, just roll it up ad stuff it in the gear tunnel. :)

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I like the idea of a passive charge in the middle of nowhere but I think I'd prefer a big roll of panels that I could just unroll on the ground near the car rather than mount to the top of the car. Then when I'm done, just roll it up ad stuff it in the gear tunnel. :)
I am using a series of these in my DIY kit:

Part of these reason I am doing this (and part of why I like the kit being proposed here officially) is that it drapes over the vehicle to provide shade during the day since the R1’s have the panoramic glass on the top.

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

It wouldn't be pretty, but I wonder how effective having the entire car wrapped in solar panels would be. Anyone up for the math?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
True. For me, I have been planning a trip to Chaco Canyon in northern New Mexico. I'll probably be in canyon for about two weeks and I expect that my rig will do enough to keep the vehicle topped off during the day for whatever I use overnight when the sun is down.
Bring a mouthpiece! Just did that road to Chaco in August, and wow! Its rough! Need all my fillings replaced! Amazing place to visit though, worth the drive. :cool:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Bring a mouthpiece! Just did that road to Chaco in August, and wow! Its rough! Need all my fillings replaced! Amazing place to visit though, worth the drive. :cool:
Awesome to hear. It's the first trip I plan to take with my R1S and I am really looking forward to putting the Rivian suspension through its paces and doing the entire trip through the canyon in silence.
Sponsored