Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I can see % being an exact number, but it doesn't mean much without context, so that's what gets me confused. 25% going up Mt. Hood is much different then 25% going down.
Except you do have context. If you know that in a particular driving condition you get 2 mi/kWh and you have 25% SoC and approx 125 kWh usable in the pack, then you have ~62 mi of range remaining. Now, if like me you live around mountains, I know that coming back to Denver from say Georgetown it's almost entirely downhill. So instead of 2 mi/kWh, I might get 4-6 mi/kWh and can adjust my expectations. Tesla's navigation software already takes into account elevation change / terrain, but my understanding is that Rivian does not, so the displayed miles of range will not account for that. A Better Route Planner also accounts for terrain, so if you planned a route that way you could get a better idea of what your real-world range expectation should be. Another case for me is that driving home from work is almost entirely uphill, so my MINI's range estimate the next morning is quite a bit short of my real range because it's estimating range based on my last drive cycle's efficiency, which will be a lot lower due to going all uphill. Make more sense? It's one of those where if you don't push the limits you probably will never care and probably won't be doing much of the mental math until you live with an EV for awhile. I'm on my second short-range EV, so I'll always playing with numbers if I think it might be close.
Sponsored

Boomkanani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2009 Tacoma
Except you do have context. If you know that in a particular driving condition you get 2 mi/kWh and you have 25% SoC and approx 125 kWh usable in the pack, then you have ~62 mi of range remaining. Now, if like me you live around mountains, I know that coming back to Denver from say Georgetown it's almost entirely downhill. So instead of 2 mi/kWh, I might get 4-6 mi/kWh and can adjust my expectations. Tesla's navigation software already takes into account elevation change / terrain, but my understanding is that Rivian does not, so the displayed miles of range will not account for that. A Better Route Planner also accounts for terrain, so if you planned a route that way you could get a better idea of what your real-world range expectation should be. Another case for me is that driving home from work is almost entirely uphill, so my MINI's range estimate the next morning is quite a bit short of my real range because it's estimating range based on my last drive cycle's efficiency, which will be a lot lower due to going all uphill. Make more sense? It's one of those where if you don't push the limits you probably will never care and probably won't be doing much of the mental math until you live with an EV for awhile. I'm on my second short-range EV, so I'll always playing with numbers if I think it might be close.
According to a couple of the videos on "Out of Spec" youtube channel, the Rivian navigation seems to account for elevation. I would absolutely trust Rivian's estimates, but make sure to have the climate controls and stereo going when looking for estimates. Now anything under 10-15%, I wouldn't rely on to be accurate...but that pretty much is equivalent to the "gas low" light.

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
Did tailgate/gear tunnel door work?

Didnt read the entire thread and not sure if you have fixed it. I've had this too, actually at service center. There is a software/firmware bug in the last few updates where the module that's controlling the rear section(tailgate, tonneau, gear tunnel) gets into a state it cant control stuff anymore. Rebooting doesn't help. Have to disconnect 12V battery
Sorry to reopen this thread - I'm experiencing an issue with passenger Gear Tunnel fault and tailgate fault - may be related to the comment above? Do you have any details on this module failure so I can discuss with service? Thanks!!

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sorry to reopen this thread - I'm experiencing an issue with passenger Gear Tunnel fault and tailgate fault - may be related to the comment above? Do you have any details on this module failure so I can discuss with service? Thanks!!
Only passenger side gear tunnel?

My problem was cant open gear tunnel doors + tailgate + cover from physical bottoms or screen. I was told there is a module that controls those in the back of the truck. I dont have other details besides the original post. This should be a pretty easy thing to diagnose after plugging into OBD at service

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
Only passenger side gear tunnel?

My problem was cant open gear tunnel doors + tailgate + cover from physical bottoms or screen. I was told there is a module that controls those in the back of the truck. I dont have other details besides the original post. This should be a pretty easy thing to diagnose after plugging into OBD at service
Yep, for me it's the passenger side which won't open and throws the alarm, and the tailgate will not open either - though when I push the tailgate button I hear the servos whir and the screen shows the TG down - physically it is securely still latched. The Driver side GT works fine. It's possibly related to some GT door damage I sustained from a wooden pole in a parking garage (darn truck is long and wide!) when I didn't quite make a turn. Though there is a scrape there's no denting of the door. After the scrape the GT door worked fine for 2 weeks - and the fact that the tailgate is also having issues simultaneously makes me think it's something else.

Service is planning to come out to take it away on a flatbed, so we'll see..
Sponsored