Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
let us know how it goes, I'll wait until I hear back from you 😂
I downloaded it while at the mall. It all went well even though I got the error message at start. Btw driver + is now back for me. I lost its function after the last update 2023.38.
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
There is, slide up from bottom right corner, the app switcher comes up, just go to the Rivian app and slide it up, that will close it.
Oh yeah that is what I’ve been doing

tcole

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2022 Ford Bronco, 2022 Zero FXE
That’s what I assumed as well. But, people are saying they had to do intermediate/incremental updates, which goes against that deployment philosophy.
I think they are doing something different (read strange) on their deploys. I had one module fail because of bad hardware when I first got my R1S, the update in the truck was showing a failure but everything except that one module had the new features and the vehicle was showing it was running the latest version. I had to schedule a service appointment for the hardware failure and I did not get notified of the newer updates that came out until the vehicle was fixed and the install failure went away.

The vehicle was working fine while I waited for the service appointment.
Yeah, I suspect different modules are different software stacks, and possibly even different VMs running on the QNX hypervisor. Some are much more mission critical than others, with different requirements, and could even have different software stacks.

Probably different software teams, do different modules, but a release may bundle updates for multiple modules. The ones you saw fail when you had a hardware issue probably failed some pre-upgrade health check.

But who knows.... I'd love to be able to learn the details of all this stuff. Probably would have to get a job at Rivian to have any real clue here.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am glad they didn't rush the fix. I would rather them take a bit of extra time to thoroughly test the solution and have a few more sets of eyes on it then put something out a bit sooner that they are only 99% confident in.
I think you misunderstood my irritation. I'm all for proper testing, but the little information that's gotten out about this issue and its fix suggest some big problems with some of Rivian's software development processes. For instance, there shouldn't be any reason why they couldn't just revert completely and push 2023.38.0 to all of us that had a failed install, but they didn't. Had the ability to go backwards existed, it would've been minutes or a few hours to get that push of already validated software out the door. I say this not knowing anything about their backend services and how the truck calls back to the mothership when downloading, validating, and applying software. But I will say that downloading an update and fully-validating it before applying it would be a good start. Bad certificates should've been an immediate fail before anything was updated in the vehicle leading to this period of uncertainty and limited usability.

Apple does a similar thing with iOS and macOS, which is why their updates can take so long. They are not patching, they are replacing the whole OS each time.

(Apple does have a lower touch mechanism for critical security fixes)
Sometime this past year Apple made changes to allow much smaller security updates.

Just went on a drive and it seems that speed limit signs recognition is back with is update.
If this is true, I'll be thrilled...but the release notes made it sound like they didn't do anything with camera-based speed recognition. Wonder if they just updated the backing database for that info. Either way, I'll be interested to test this tomorrow. I have at least one road that near me that has plenty of clear signs but no data in the nav, so if I see speed limits showing I'll be happy.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T/20AT Brights, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Sponsored

JustBreatheN

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Healthcare
Customer service is still trying to figure out how I'll be able to do the update. A little backstory...when this whole debacle happened 2 night ago, my app froze and made it so I was not able to message customer service about the issue. I then deleted the app and reinstalled it. By doing this, it deactivated the app key. Now fast forward to when the update was pushed out...I can't tap to get it installed because the key was deleted. I can't pair the phone to make it a key because it is all done via the screen that is inoperable. So, here we are...waiting for a fix. I would love to tap on the "update now" icon but can't... lesson learned.
Rivian R1T R1S Software Update 2023.42.0 is out (⚠️ UPDATE: OTA fix rolling out today 11/15/23) 1000015459

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T/20AT Brights, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Even my boomer parents know how to close out apps.

I can’t imagine the amount of things this person has open lol
My children call me for Apple tech support, and I'm peak Boomer.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thankfully it's a non-issue. The apps only stay resident until another app needs the RAM and then it gets booted...while saving state to some extent. Yes you can force an app closed, but it isn't necessary anymore.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
The latest update doesn’t show up on my screen ? Checking every day ??
You’ll be alerted in the vehicle or through the Rivian app when it’s available for you to download.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Customer service is still trying to figure out how I'll be able to do the update. A little backstory...when this whole debacle happened 2 night ago, my app froze and made it so I was not able to message customer service about the issue. I then deleted the app and reinstalled it. By doing this, it deactivated the app key. Now fast forward to when the update was pushed out...I can't tap to get it installed because the key was deleted. I can't pair the phone to make it a key because it is all done via the screen that is inoperable. So, here we are...waiting for a fix. I would love to tap on the "update now" icon but can't... lesson learned.
1000015459.jpg
This is what happened to me to! It’s still not installed. It unpaired my phone key and I don’t know why. I did not uninstall my app or anything like that, the pair key just unpaired itself. So I've just called support this morning and now have to wait for the software dev team to show up for the day before I can get any update. Once again, I hate this. Done with my Rivian.

Last edited:

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Even my boomer parents know how to close out apps.

I was calling it closed but doing just this. Settle down.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
On a positive note, after applying the update and getting our car working again, my phone connected via Bluetooth to the car super quickly, noticeably faster than previously.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I just got off the phone with them again. They asked for my authorization to remotely push and force install the update. I said yes. I’ll see where things stand in about an hour
Sponsored