Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I'm in Purcellville and have an R1S reserved. I still think the service center will be on the Rt 28 corridor near the Ferrari dealership or in the Tysons area. Based on what I see above I think we have a Loudoun county Rivian group forming at the very least.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm in Purcellville and have an R1S reserved. I still think the service center will be on the Rt 28 corridor near the Ferrari dealership or in the Tysons area. Based on what I see above I think we have a Loudoun county Rivian group forming at the very least.

So far I have seen 0 indication of anything in NOVA but it would made sense, I know there is something coming in MD as a LLC is registered there and they have a Baltimore Warehouse they are hiring for (could be a service center) as well as a "DC" location which might be a combination of Corporate and Service center information.

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I've been attempting to search building permits for DC and the surrounding counties but not luck so far. As an early Dec 2018 R1T LE reservation holder I'm hoping that I don't get pushed back until they have a service center in our area.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've been attempting to search building permits for DC and the surrounding counties but not luck so far. As an early Dec 2018 R1T LE reservation holder I'm hoping that I don't get pushed back until they have a service center in our area.

Folks in NYC are getting contacted, I hope its not the case on if they are linked with service centers as it would be forever before our area gets one. I have a May 2019 R1S, I am hoping you get your call/email "SOON".

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
Folks in NYC are getting contacted, I hope its not the case on if they are linked with service centers as it would be forever before our area gets one. I have a May 2019 R1S, I am hoping you get your call/email "SOON".
Agree, service centers are key and we have no info on a location in DMV. I am in Howard Co. Maryland and assume we’ll all be covered by the location in NOVA. God help us if they are entangled in Maryland permit hell

Sponsored

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
So far I have seen 0 indication of anything in NOVA but it would made sense, I know there is something coming in MD as a LLC is registered there and they have a Baltimore Warehouse they are hiring for (could be a service center) as well as a "DC" location which might be a combination of Corporate and Service center information.
I was assuming the Baltimore jobs were for global operations since there is port access. Hopefully there is a Baltimore office though!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
SO VA doesn't have direct sales except for Tesla. So can I go to DC or MD and buy it? I'm getting worried that I won't see the R1S till 2022. I hope that is not the case as my Nissan Quest is a drag!

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

SO VA doesn't have direct sales except for Tesla. So can I go to DC or MD and buy it? I'm getting worried that I won't see the R1S till 2022. I hope that is not the case as my Nissan Quest is a drag!

From the way things are looking LE R1S holders won't see anything until 2022 regardless.

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
I’m a Tesla owner and I wasn’t aware of this: Virginia does not have direct sales except for Tesla? How can we verify this? If that’s the case, reservation holders in Virginia would have to take delivery from neighboring state? Would Rivian be better off by opening a service/retail location in either MD or DC then to assist VA delivery?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I’m a Tesla owner and I wasn’t aware of this: Virginia does not have direct sales except for Tesla?
IIRC, a shaky assumption at best, direct sales are not allowed in Virginia but somehow Tesla got an exemption for no more than two stores (Tysons and one down state somewhere). If they can do it, Rivan can do it. While the dealers are still very powerful in the OLD Dominion, the current administration (in DC and here) is now much more disposed towards all this green stuff.

Chalk up one more for McLean. I'm holding out for the Max Pack R1T so I'll just have to wait but I have already installed a J1772 charger for it.

How can we verify this? If that’s the case, reservation holders in Virginia would have to take delivery from neighboring state? Would Rivian be better off by opening a service/retail location in either MD or DC then to assist VA delivery?
I'm assuming they will do exactly that which is fine as long as they handle any interactions with the DC DMV!

Sponsored

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
This really shouldn't prevent them doing business in VA. The way Tesla and others get around the law is they actually sell the vehicles online (not in a show room). In some states where Tesla doesn't have an exemption but they have a showroom when someone shows up in the showroom wanting to make a purchase they are directed to a computer to place their order. Since we will be purchasing online Rivian can register and deliver the trucks to us no problem.

The laws currently just prevent a manufacturer from setting up a showroom and selling vehicles off the lot.

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
If it helps in any way, Rivian actually has registered an LLC company in Virginia and might have already set up an office (not a proxy) in Richmond.

irpete

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
If it helps in any way, Rivian actually has registered an LLC company in Virginia and might have already set up an office (not a proxy) in Richmond.
I'd be curious to know the name of the LLC as it would be helpful in searching for building permits. We know they've said there will be a service center in the DC area and they've had job postings as well but so far no signs of any physical locations.

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
Occupation
I'd be curious to know the name of the LLC as it would be helpful in searching for building permits. We know they've said there will be a service center in the DC area and they've had job postings as well but so far no signs of any physical locations.
Rivian R1T R1S So who is in the DMV Area 1622639681974

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This really shouldn't prevent them doing business in VA. The way Tesla and others get around the law is they actually sell the vehicles online (not in a show room). In some states where Tesla doesn't have an exemption but they have a showroom when someone shows up in the showroom wanting to make a purchase they are directed to a computer to place their order.
I've bought two Tesla's in Va and in both cases the order was placed through a web site on a computer in the show room. In both cases the typing was done by a Tesla employee who has some job title otjher than "saleman". I expect that the process would have been exactly the same were I to have ordered the cars in any other Tesla showroom.

The intent of the laws was to protect dealers from being undercut by the factory selling at lower prices directly to the consumer. Since Tesla has no dealers it's hard to argue that the laws have any application wrt to Tesla. The dealers now argue that the laws are there to protect the consumer. And if that argument is accompanied by a nice fat check to the legislator's campaign fund they often prevail.
Sponsored