Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Now the question for the new Spring 2020 timeline is meteorological spring (April 1) or astronomical spring which ends June 21 2022
Let's go with June 21. That gives Rivian a few extra months to find a way to announce the next delay.

I am surprised that there is only a 1 month delay for the first LE orders and a 6 month delay for the last LE orders. I think the first 6 months will deliver a whopping total of 6 vehicles.
Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Assumption... The forums make a lot of those ignoring the most likely interpretations. Rivian never said all LEs would be delivered before any non-LEs. That narrative was created entirely on the forums. We won't know for sure until we wait and see, but I think people would be a lot less disappointed if they read for multiple interpretations instead of picking the one that best fits the narrative they want and assuming it's canon.
Nothing in this life is for sure. This forum was not the only place making thoseā€assumptions ā€œ. They were in the ev press also. So what was your previous expected completion date for LE delivery? Jan 2022 April 2022? July 2022?. At this point itā€™s not the delivery date that will be my decision driver. Itā€™s the EPA range number for the LE

Last edited:

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Sanity check: did everybody really expect NO delays with the initial launch of the VERY FIRST car from a BRAND NEW car company??

The biggest disappointment for me personally was pushing out max range deliveries, when that range had been touted as standard feature for years, and a key differentiator for the company. However, one miss is acceptable for the vast majority of people. But that, combined with the WAY the information was communicated today (essentially a thinly veiled delay that customers had to infer, announced right at the last minute) is now a pattern of misses, which are a hit to the credibility and TRUST that we place in the company and the brand. This is very unfortunate for Rivian, as that credibility and trust is the hardest thing to earn, especially as a new brand, and can be eroded very quickly.

What I think is more telling is the things we aren't seeing: EPA range numbers and the app. Everything runs on software these days, including all of the systems in this vehicle. I am astonished that there has not been a single photo, video, review, 2nd hand report... of the Rivian app. If I was launching a car in 2021 the very first thing I would make available in the app store is my app for people to see/touch/feel even if the car is not available. This may be the single biggest red flag in my mind because if they cannot get the SW right, then the entire vehicle and ownership experience will be troubled.

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I mean, if the app is anything like the app that came with my Volvo, then all it does is let you control car functions and the like.

It would be pretty pointless to release an app that doesnā€™t actually do anything without the car ?ā€ā™‚

johnbro23

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Financial Analyst
Its understandable that the exact timing of launching this vehicle was hard for the company to predict. They weren't being shady by just now delaying the June deliveries. They probably got word this week from their chip supplier that they weren't going to get delivery of that component til July. OR it took longer than expected to get their last 100 employees on board. OR the welding robots are creating unacceptably wide panel gaps. They said "June" 6 months ago which was really a "best guess" given all the moving pieces. EVERY aspect of the "machine that builds the machine" has to be in place before they can produce 1.

With that said, I think Rivian should take a cue from Tesla and share photos of the inside of their factory at least every 3 months. Check out Tesla's earnings presentations for investors, every quarter they'll include 10 photos of the most relevant progress within their factories. To be fair, Tesla didn't do that before they made it big and they were executing well, but still the right thing to do even for a startup. Heck, Lucid is even doing it.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I mean, if the app is anything like the app that came with my Volvo, then all it does is let you control car functions and the like.

It would be pretty pointless to release an app that doesnā€™t actually do anything without the car ?ā€ā™‚
And that right there should be a fundamental difference between Rivian/Tesla and and every other legacy combustion motor vehicle manufacturer. These are EVs built from the ground up to be controlled by software so the app becomes a critical part of the product and ownership experience. Not an afterthought that was bolted on and that does nothing, like your Volvo. It should be nothing like that and if it is, then I will probably cancel my pre-order. It should have deep integration to the car, just as the Tesla does, as it runs on software!

You want that in your customers hands ASAP to start getting feedback on the interface, working out bugs, getting used to the release schedule, etc...even if there is no car. Even more-so if the core product is delayed to give customers something to play with, link their account to, etc.

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
The Hummer is coming this fall and the F-150 in the spring, so no it is not the only game in town. Because of all the delays they now have a lot of competition.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Hummer is coming this fall and the F-150 in the spring, so no it is not the only game in town. Because of all the delays they now have a lot of competition.
That is assuming none of the competition runs into delays. Tesla and Ford have a pretty awful track record of meeting announced timelines.
The Escape PHEV was delayed by over a year. and Mach-e first edition customers were told of a delay of up to 8 weeks after they had already been given a specific delivery time (not just a starting in...)

Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Suddenly Iā€™m glad my order number is like 12,000 and not one bit earlier. Iā€™m feeling more and more comfortable letting the early adopters work this new company out. Not sure why I feel like there may be an issue or two, beyond petty stuff. Sadly, I didnā€™t feel like that 2 weeks ago. I envision my LE-R1S mid-to-late ā€˜22 at this point, no matter promises. Which bumps me up against perhaps a 2-4 year solid state battery or the glorious sound my wifeā€™s BMW M Competition exhaust note makes I find hard to resist that can be refueled in 2 minutes. Not to mention not a single RAN charger built yet.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is an interesting tidbit. Canā€™t confirm the source but it is on a couple of different web sites. Would make sense;

The delay is the result of a few issues such as the global semiconductor chip shortage, delays on shipping containers and difficulties in setting up vehicle servicing. The company said that overall it has not faced some of the more significant chip-related disruptions that have beset the global auto industry.

Also, launching service centers and bringing a test drive program online ā€” in an environment affected by COVID-19 ā€” was complex, the company indicated

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: