Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Looks like Rivian owner says not to use chains on the 20” AT or body damage is likely. Saw an excerpt in another thread. They recommend textiles (snow socks) on 20” and cable chains on 21” and 22” wheels.
Sponsored

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
As for that manual page... It's not the 20s that are the problem, it's that the tires on the 20s are 34" vs the 33" that come stock on the 21s and 22s. I'm kinda shocked that Rivian is claiming insufficient clearance even for cables. As I said in the other thread, I guess that also means there's zero hope of running 35s. I do wonder where the clearance issues are and whether as someone else suggested you could run cables if you were in Off Road / High mode vs Standard.
I think the tire clearance is only an issue in the front while turning. Nothing else makes sense. I have a set of AutoSocks, AL69 is for the 20's. Not as durable as chains, but I shouldn't really need to install them with the 20's. They are much lighter and easier to store/use. In CA it's a legal requirement to possess traction devices in addition to triple peak and 4WD. CHP told me that I won't need to install them likely as they shut the roads before requiring the use on our vehicles. They likely would come into play as a choice on a pass they are about to close that you are already traveling on, to improve your situation to clear the pass. Triple peak snow tires and winter driving experience will take you where you need to go. That said after watching videos on the Auto socks, they can really perform. I would like to see videos made by people who know how to winter drive instead of over accelerate then complain about wear/tear...
Taking a 5k mile road trip from CA over the Sierras and Rockies to Northern Wisconsin and back over the holidays. If I use the Auto Socks I will report back.

EricSD858

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Anyone have a recommendation for good tire chains that fit the 20” ATs? I’m in the queue for delivery soon and will need them to access one of my favorite winter destinations. The Owner’s Manual seems to come up empty for this, which is unusual.
The service center told me there is a type of plastic beaded snow traction device you can use. I am going back there in two days and will post the ones from Amazon they said to purchase. This is for the AT20.

Vegoelectric

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volkswagen ID4
I think the tire clearance is only an issue in the front while turning. Nothing else makes sense. I have a set of AutoSocks, AL69 is for the 20's. Not as durable as chains, but I shouldn't really need to install them with the 20's. They are much lighter and easier to store/use. In CA it's a legal requirement to possess traction devices in addition to triple peak and 4WD. CHP told me that I won't need to install them likely as they shut the roads before requiring the use on our vehicles. They likely would come into play as a choice on a pass they are about to close that you are already traveling on, to improve your situation to clear the pass. Triple peak snow tires and winter driving experience will take you where you need to go. That said after watching videos on the Auto socks, they can really perform. I would like to see videos made by people who know how to winter drive instead of over accelerate then complain about wear/tear...
Taking a 5k mile road trip from CA over the Sierras and Rockies to Northern Wisconsin and back over the holidays. If I use the Auto Socks I will report back.
I drove in crazy winter conditions in several states on that journey and never was required to put on traction devices. The triple peaks performance is great for someone with experience. None of the states that had chain rules in effect required me to install, I was waved by when they saw the tires. The autosocks took up little space and are extremely lightweight. They will do great in my book.

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, LA Silver 22 Sport Bright
Occupation
Market Research Executive
In case anyone is interested, CA refs on chains:

CHAIN REQUIREMENT LEVELS

When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

In case anyone is interested, CA refs on chains:

CHAIN REQUIREMENT LEVELS

When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
That's odd, a heavy truck like the Rivian needs to chain up for R1 but not R2?

The service center told me there is a type of plastic beaded snow traction device you can use. I am going back there in two days and will post the ones from Amazon they said to purchase. This is for the AT20.
Would be interesting to hear if anything ever came of this...
Sponsored