Snow Performance of 22s?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’m getting my R1S way ahead of schedule and I’m usually a guy that has dedicated snow wheels and tires. I’m in the Midwest and will have a month or two of winter to deal with. Anyone have experience with the stock 22s in snow and ice? I’d love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I'm heading to the mountains this week and I should have some opportunities to try out our R1S w/ 22's in the snow a bit. I have two sets of Autosocks just in case...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Doable when they are new, but if they are less than half tread left they suck.

BourbonDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE EL CAP BM 22SB, BMW X7, Ford Exp Max
Swapped to Blizzaks for Chicago winter. The cold impacts range much more than the rubber. Traction in ice and snow is noticeably better.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I’m getting my R1S way ahead of schedule and I’m usually a guy that has dedicated snow wheels and tires. I’m in the Midwest and will have a month or two of winter to deal with. Anyone have experience with the stock 22s in snow and ice? I’d love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Ben
Having spent the entire winter on the 22s; it’s a bit like letting me do your electrical work (I’m not an electrician)

I can do it, but I wouldn’t trust it.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have dedicated snow tires for my R1T on 22s but I’m debating on putting them on this year. We really only have March left and it seems like a waste to put them on now only to take them off in April…

acastal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY
Anyone have experience with the stock 22s in snow and ice?
How did yours perform in the snow or did you swap them out for dedicated snow tires/wheels?

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
How did yours perform in the snow or did you swap them out for dedicated snow tires/wheels?
I kept it parked in the garage when the snow was thick and wet. With the 22s it was unsafe to drive then. Other times when it was colder and snow was less 'sloppy' I didn't have trouble driving on it.
The R1 is very capable of driving in the snow, but the appropriate tread and tire composition makes all the difference. The 22's are great for non-snow highway driving, but swapping for purpose-specific tires is the best bet.
Sponsored