First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I got a lot of questions last time I was at winter park, everyone was impressed it took like 30%-35% to get there from Golden. I think it ended up being less than 50% round trip.

Just since it's in discussion, we have skied 30-40 days in Colorado with the Rivian, with snow tires it is every bit as good as previous Subarus with snow tires, 4runners with snow tires, probably better than all of them (I am hesitant to come to any strong conclusions just because you can't test two vehicles in the same exact conditions). OK it is definitely better than our 2WD ID.4 with snow tires. It's really good. I was cautious at first, but now feel very confident in snowy conditions with the R1T. If anyone has any winter concerns, I believe they will be alleviated with snow tires.

Something seems to have changed with reduced regenerative braking, I get it every time I am in the mountains these days. Kind of annoying.
What model of snow tires are you using?

And I agree with you on the regen braking alerts. It happens a lot more than it used to.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What model of snow tires are you using?

And I agree with you on the regen braking alerts. It happens a lot more than it used to.
DTown is correct, Iā€™ve got the 20ā€ blizzak LT in the stock size

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just did my first trip to the mountains (Mary Jane/Winter Park) to go skinning and skiing this morning. I have to admit I was a little nervous at the 22 inch tires because this late in the season I donā€™t want to mess around with putting on the snow tires and I was pleasantly surprised that the Rivian did quite well in a fairly substantial snowstorm up and over Berthoud pass. Snow mode seemed to work very well and while I can definitely kick out the back if I want to itā€™s also very easy to drive in control.

I started with 300 miles of range and arrived home at 141 miles which is almost spot on exactly how many miles my house is in Broomfield from Mary Jane. Range estimates were awesome and Iā€™m very impressed. My total efficiency for the trip was 2.26 mi/kWh which was super impressive as well but the downhill definitely helps that. Downhill I was up over 4 efficiency and uphill. There were times where I was under 1.

if I had any complaints, itā€™s that the windshield wipers are definitely low quality and Iā€™ll probably be replacing them right away. Theyā€™re pretty streaky, and the automatic wipers were not the best but the HVAC system, defrost, seat heaters, everything worked well and I was even able to make a pot of French press coffee on my way back home. The gear tunnel doors are amazing for putting on ski boots and the truck improved my experience immensely I canā€™t wait to drive it again!!!

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 612FA642-43A6-403B-BF6F-97D6BE26C414

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 7531C83C-A670-4938-836C-552344F0DF83

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 4D99BBB2-2A7F-46BD-B702-09C92442EAA6

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 8F751CA8-E0BD-43D0-A301-A90F8AFE22DF

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 3A71EBBF-59FA-4350-AACE-7BFC1D43DAFB

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 1F88C2D9-0FC7-45C5-8BA7-FB75591C97E3

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 84E3AC53-CC3A-4C8F-8079-2BE8852C4F5E

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode over alpine mountain pass in R1S -- worked well 89E4B62E-1B8E-4747-BD22-E7B8D93FB850

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just did my first trip to the mountains (Mary Jane/Winter Park) to go skinning and skiing this morning. I have to admit I was a little nervous at the 22 inch tires because this late in the season I donā€™t want to mess around with putting on the snow tires and I was pleasantly surprised that the Rivian did quite well in a fairly substantial snowstorm up and over Berthoud pass. Snow mode seemed to work very well and while I can definitely check out the back and if I want to itā€™s also very easy to drive in control.

I started with 300 miles of range and arrived home at 141 miles which is almost spot on exactly how many miles my house is in Broomfield from Mary Jane. Range estimates were awesome and Iā€™m very impressed. My total efficiency for the trip was 2.26 mi/kWh which was super impressive as well but the downhill definitely helps that. Downhill I was up over 4 efficiency and uphill. There were times where I was under 1.

if I had any complaints, itā€™s that the windshield wipers are definitely low quality and Iā€™ll probably be replacing them right away. Theyā€™re pretty streaky, and the automatic wipers were not the best but the HVAC system, defrost, seat heaters, everything worked well and I was even able to make a pot of French press coffee on my way back home. The gear tunnel doors are amazing for putting on ski boots and the truck improved my experience immensely I canā€™t wait to drive it again!!!

612FA642-43A6-403B-BF6F-97D6BE26C414.jpeg

7531C83C-A670-4938-836C-552344F0DF83.jpeg

4D99BBB2-2A7F-46BD-B702-09C92442EAA6.jpeg

8F751CA8-E0BD-43D0-A301-A90F8AFE22DF.jpeg

3A71EBBF-59FA-4350-AACE-7BFC1D43DAFB.jpeg

1F88C2D9-0FC7-45C5-8BA7-FB75591C97E3.jpeg

84E3AC53-CC3A-4C8F-8079-2BE8852C4F5E.jpeg

89E4B62E-1B8E-4747-BD22-E7B8D93FB850.jpeg
BTW, what kettle is that? Mine is on the verge of dying and Iā€™m looking for a replacement.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
BTW, what kettle is that? Mine is on the verge of dying and Iā€™m looking for a replacement.
Looks like itā€™s not currently available.

Electric Kettle, LOFTER 1.7L Double Wall Stainless Steel Tea Water Heater Boiler, BPA-Free Cool Touch Wooden Tea Kettle with Auto Shut-Off & Boil Dry Protection, Fast Boiling Heater with Overheating Protection, 1500W, Black https://a.co/d/8ZKXApJ

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am still constantly amazed at how many people drive in the Colorado mountains WITHOUT snow tires. Everytime I am at Winter Park, it's gotta be less than 1/10 that actually have snows on their vehicle.
For most of Colorado it doesnā€™t snow enough or stick around long enough to make dedicated snow tires worth it.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For most of Colorado it doesnā€™t snow enough or stick around long enough to make dedicated snow tires worth it.
I disagree. For me, itā€™s insurance. I carry my entire family or my 2 boys in the car often, and many times into the mountains. Weā€™ve been in some pretty hairy conditions over mountain passes before. Iā€™d gladly pay the ~$1k for a set of snow tires from Nov-Mar if it gives us that much more piece of mind. Plus my all season tires last longer. Are they necessary? Probably not but IMO well worth the safety investment with my family in tow.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Looks like itā€™s not currently available.

Electric Kettle, LOFTER 1.7L Double Wall Stainless Steel Tea Water Heater Boiler, BPA-Free Cool Touch Wooden Tea Kettle with Auto Shut-Off & Boil Dry Protection, Fast Boiling Heater with Overheating Protection, 1500W, Black https://a.co/d/8ZKXApJ
Well snap. Iā€™ll keep an eye on that one. Thanks.

Billintheboat

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser, Subaru
Occupation
retired
I got a lot of questions last time I was at winter park, everyone was impressed it took like 30%-35% to get there from Golden. I think it ended up being less than 50% round trip.

Just since it's in discussion, we have skied 30-40 days in Colorado with the Rivian, with snow tires it is every bit as good as previous Subarus with snow tires, 4runners with snow tires, probably better than all of them (I am hesitant to come to any strong conclusions just because you can't test two vehicles in the same exact conditions). OK it is definitely better than our 2WD ID.4 with snow tires. It's really good. I was cautious at first, but now feel very confident in snowy conditions with the R1T. If anyone has any winter concerns, I believe they will be alleviated with snow tires.

Something seems to have changed with reduced regenerative braking, I get it every time I am in the mountains these days. Kind of annoying.
Hi, I live in Steamboat and drive about 40 mile north every week. Lots of snow on a windy county road. Sometimes its plowed, other times not so much. I drive a Land Cruiser and an Outback. Looking at the R1T for my regular ride. I plan to put Blizzaks on the 20" wheels. I am concerned about snow handling and weight. Any thoughts? Also, have you parked without charging in cold weather? How long without loosing most of the battery charge.

Sponsored

Billintheboat

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser, Subaru
Occupation
retired

Hi, did Rivian install your snow tires or did you have it done by a third party? I would hope I don't have to go to a service venter for tire changes.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Gonna disagree if one chases snow in the mountains, which seems like a good portion of the Front Range. Dedicated snows are also cheaper than an accident, or causing one by clogging I-70 in crappy rubber.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi, did Rivian install your snow tires or did you have it done by a third party? I would hope I don't have to go to a service venter for tire changes.
Hi Bill. I have had all good experiences with the Blizzaks, it has always handled well in snow, but it has been mostly snow on paved roads. It has performed as well as our 4runner and subaru did with snow tires, but if the road is steep enough I can't say for sure if the weight would cause any problems. We will be getting out some more in late april/may as the roads dry out but likely still with some snow on the 4WD roads, I can try to follow up then.

In winter we have been seeing about 3-4%/day at our spot at 9k feet.

We had our tires installed by discount tire. Since they didn't have the pucks (and me either), I just removed the covers before I went in and they jacked it up using the frame(?) rails, or whatever the owners guide says is fine. Check out the manual and it describes how to lift it.
Sponsored