First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hi all, I've been out of commission for a couple of months thanks to lots of dad responsibilities (family first!) AND a little R1T mishap with a curb, causing 14k of damage to the front sub frame. Ugh. Not to worry, Robin let me and Oliver take Rosie the R1S up snowboarding in Winter Park. It did do pretty well. I was most impressed with how little battery it used for the return trip. (stats at the end of the video)

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'll second all of this. We did Lookout Pass, Fourth of July Pass, and Snoqualmie Pass all in one day yesterday with ice, snow, and slush on them all. 20 ATs handled phenomenally. Averaged 1.92mi/kWh from Montana to Seattle area, snow mode in passes, conserve in the flat areas, with temps in the 20s-30s. That compares to our eastbound/uphill rate of 1.75mi/kWh with temps negative single digits to 10s.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Snow mode on a downhill off-ramp outside Leavenworth almost slid me into an intersection. That was on 21” wheeis, a size where no snow tire is available. It may just depend on how much real ice is on the road, how much sticky snow there is not, temperature, amount of decline, and how quickly you need to stop.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Hi all, I've been out of commission for a couple of months thanks to lots of dad responsibilities (family first!) AND a little R1T mishap with a curb, causing 14k of damage to the front sub frame. Ugh. Not to worry, Robin let me and Oliver take Rosie the R1S up snowboarding in Winter Park. It did do pretty well. I was most impressed with how little battery it used for the return trip. (stats at the end of the video)

I’m sure you’ve been toiling over how to avoid the $14k cost again, hitting a curb, would you share your thoughts / advice / experience on that with us?

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Snow mode on a downhill off-ramp outside Leavenworth almost slid me into an intersection. That was on 21” wheeis, a size where no snow tire is available. It may just depend on how much real ice is on the road, how much sticky snow there is not, temperature, amount of decline, and how quickly you need to stop.
I've had a few similar experiences. That's why I'm very cautious in this video especially driving down the bendy, icy roads. Fact is that it's bad to carry momentum into turns and downhills with this much weight. It's something I have to get used to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
I’m sure you’ve been toiling over how to avoid the $14k cost again, hitting a curb, would you share your thoughts / advice / experience on that with us?
I've been struggling with this one. I actually have a video all recorded about it but my wife nixed it. She said it's a bit too whiny, never mind the liability issues with insurance, etc. Generally, it went down like this:

While testing out snow mode I slid a lot further than I expected and hit a curb at just the wrong angle, putting a lot of force on the front left wheel. It could have been avoided but for my inferior driving (and one important safety issue). The force busted the front sub frame, which had to be replaced. All of the other parts in that area were also replaced, mainly out of caution, but some other parts may have been damaged. The whole process took 2 weeks, which was actually pretty fast (and could have been faster were it not for a few non-Rivian-related snags, like my own delays in replying to emails, etc). Rivian Insurance paid for the whole thing (minus deductible). Total price tag was $14k. Rivian wouldn't let me take any pictures of the repair process.

I do plan on putting together a summary about it all but I need to clear it with my wife :) and also wanted to wait till it was all fixed before publishing anything.

The truck is back to it's off-the-assembly-line form, though, so I'm pleased.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Curbs can cause an incredible amount of damage. Learned that the hard way a long time ago in a GTI on snow. Leasson learned was don't hit curbs with locked up wheels. Better to jump the curb unless something on other side is potentially worse.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Will be doing this trip a lot, so glad to see some real world examples. Typically I park at Mary Jane but there are also a row of free Clipper Creek chargers in the paid ($10) lot at the front of WP so that could also be an option for closer parking.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I've been struggling with this one. I actually have a video all recorded about it but my wife nixed it. She said it's a bit too whiny, never mind the liability issues with insurance, etc. Generally, it went down like this:

While testing out snow mode I slid a lot further than I expected and hit a curb at just the wrong angle, putting a lot of force on the front left wheel. It could have been avoided but for my inferior driving (and one important safety issue). The force busted the front sub frame, which had to be replaced. All of the other parts in that area were also replaced, mainly out of caution, but some other parts may have been damaged. The whole process took 2 weeks, which was actually pretty fast (and could have been faster were it not for a few non-Rivian-related snags, like my own delays in replying to emails, etc). Rivian Insurance paid for the whole thing (minus deductible). Total price tag was $14k. Rivian wouldn't let me take any pictures of the repair process.

I do plan on putting together a summary about it all but I need to clear it with my wife :) and also wanted to wait till it was all fixed before publishing anything.

The truck is back to it's off-the-assembly-line form, though, so I'm pleased.
Oh man Scott, glad it's fixed and back. So are you thinking dedicated snow tires in the winter for the 20's might be in your future? I've seen the Blizzaks and the Hakkapeliittas on a few 20" setups.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Oh man Scott, glad it's fixed and back. So are you thinking dedicated snow tires in the winter for the 20's might be in your future? I've seen the Blizzaks and the Hakkapeliittas on a few 20" setups.
Yes, definitely dedicated tires for winter. I tried to get some this winter, but the deal fell through, so I’ll be aiming for some next winter now that it’s potentially spring. I say, potentially, but we probably have a few more snow storms in our future this year. :)

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had a few similar experiences. That's why I'm very cautious in this video especially driving down the bendy, icy roads. Fact is that it's bad to carry momentum into turns and downhills with this much weight. It's something I have to get used to.
We had that learning lesson on our recent trip: treat this truck like the 9k lb F750 stakebed I used to drive for work with a GVWR of 25,999lbs (just under commercial license requirement). Think of it like you're always towing something. We were going 10 mph into the onramp and slid a bit with the ATs, came close to the barrier.

It reminds me of the BMW E36 drifting days: You absolutely need to lose enough momentum BEFORE the curves and slightly accelerate through them to keep your nose pulling away, let you butt swing a little if needed and compensate. But never ever ever brake in the turn! We watched a Prius almost biff it on Snoqualmie doing this.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

For what it's worth, I was driving to work this morning in 4x4 with Falken Wilpeaks on my xterra in Vancouver wet 4-6 inches of snow on the roads, was driving with a little too much "spirit" went to take a corner and just locked up and kept going straight. The xterra is light as a feather compared to the T, so I can only imagine.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Curbs can cause an incredible amount of damage. Learned that the hard way a long time ago in a GTI on snow. Leasson learned was don't hit curbs with locked up wheels. Better to jump the curb unless something on other side is potentially worse.
I couldn't jump the curb in this case, it would have been worse.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I got a lot of questions last time I was at winter park, everyone was impressed it took like 30%-35% to get there from Golden. I think it ended up being less than 50% round trip.

Just since it's in discussion, we have skied 30-40 days in Colorado with the Rivian, with snow tires it is every bit as good as previous Subarus with snow tires, 4runners with snow tires, probably better than all of them (I am hesitant to come to any strong conclusions just because you can't test two vehicles in the same exact conditions). OK it is definitely better than our 2WD ID.4 with snow tires. It's really good. I was cautious at first, but now feel very confident in snowy conditions with the R1T. If anyone has any winter concerns, I believe they will be alleviated with snow tires.

Something seems to have changed with reduced regenerative braking, I get it every time I am in the mountains these days. Kind of annoying.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, definitely dedicated tires for winter. I tried to get some this winter, but the deal fell through, so I’ll be aiming for some next winter now that it’s potentially spring. I say, potentially, but we probably have a few more snow storms in our future this year. :)
I know you are rocking the 22's on the R1S (or at least with your tire swap). I have the Michelin X-Ice ready to go on my R1T in 22" 275/50R22 that I'm excited about. I pick up on Saturday, just not sure how much I will need the tires for the month of March but we do have a ski trip to Steamboat planned at the end of March so could be worth it.

I got a lot of questions last time I was at winter park, everyone was impressed it took like 30%-35% to get there from Golden. I think it ended up being less than 50% round trip.

Just since it's in discussion, we have skied 30-40 days in Colorado with the Rivian, with snow tires it is every bit as good as previous Subarus with snow tires, 4runners with snow tires, probably better than all of them (I am hesitant to come to any strong conclusions just because you can't test two vehicles in the same exact conditions). OK it is definitely better than our 2WD ID.4 with snow tires. It's really good. I was cautious at first, but now feel very confident in snowy conditions with the R1T. If anyone has any winter concerns, I believe they will be alleviated with snow tires.

Something seems to have changed with reduced regenerative braking, I get it every time I am in the mountains these days. Kind of annoying.
I think with snow tires, it will be a tank, just like most vehicles - I am still constantly amazed at how many people drive in the Colorado mountains WITHOUT snow tires. Everytime I am at Winter Park, it's gotta be less than 1/10 that actually have snows on their vehicle.
Sponsored