First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
No matter how good you are as a driver, having nanny assists are always helpful. Tell me you can do better than ABS in pumping the brakes.
Are you saying the R1T doesn’t have ABS ? Why would I need to pump the brakes
As I said above, you cannot pump the brakes better than ABS, so nanny assists are always good to have. They're there when you need them.
Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
No one is asking for “automated” driving. Why is it so hard to imagine that in states with steeper terrain and roads this might be an issue? There have been multiple posts with specific examples of what the problem is and possible solutions. No one ever said it was a problem in all 50 states. Most people will probably never use sand mode yet one exists….
Because “Snow Mode” implies what? I think not being able to turn off regen is what some are frustrated with.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Because “Snow Mode” implies what? I think not being able to turn off regen is what some are frustrated with.
Yes. Having a low or off setting for regen would probably make most happy. A snow mode would likely do that and use slightly more FWD bias and possibly adjust torque, traction control settings.

Lots of modern vehicles have a snow mode. It just simplifies things.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
+1 for everyone that's said those of you just lifting off the accelerator and engaging regen are doing it wrong. Drive slowly, carefully modulate your accelerator, and you'll be able to control how much regen kicks in. It doesn't go to 100% max regen the second you are a hair off 'accelerate'. It engages slowly as you come farther off the accelerator.

If you're sliding because of regen you're doing it wrong. That's not a truck issue.
I agree that lifting your foot off of the pedal is the is equivalent to slamming on the brakes. But slamming on the brakes will not lock the wheels on any modern car. Anti-lock brakes have been a legal requirement for more than a decade.

If the regen braking system is is locking the wheels, then I don't see how the vehicle meets the legal requirement of having anti-lock brakes.

Regen locking the wheels is a bug. Arguing otherwise is silly. Rivian will fix it eventually.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I've not had a single instance in any conditions of regen locking my wheels (dry, wet, gravel, ice, snow, etc), so I don't know when that is happening to others.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
If the regen braking system is is locking the wheels, then I don't see how the vehicle meets the legal requirement of having anti-lock brakes.

Regen locking the wheels is a bug. Arguing otherwise is silly. Rivian will fix it eventually.
Not only is it dangerous, but 'locked' wheels don't even generate any power on regen. If it actually locks up on regen it's a horrendous oversight.

I haven't been in slippery enough conditions to trigger this, the only exception being coming to a quick stop at low speed seemed to cause it to slip and catch itself, making the stop feel weird, not the same feedback as normal ABS.

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I've not had a single instance in any conditions of regen locking my wheels (dry, wet, gravel, ice, snow, etc), so I don't know when that is happening to others.
Oh come on...it's been posted many times here so is MUST be true! jk. Agree x1000 and don't get it either.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t think anyone actually said the wheels “locked up”? That isn’t a requirement for a 7000 lb curling stone to slide on ice is it?

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
For 20AT wheels with winter tires like Blizzak LT/Nokia LT3 installed, what tire pressure do you run? Still following OEM's recommend 48 PSI for cold tires?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

For 20AT wheels with winter tires like Blizzak LT/Nokia LT3 installed, what tire pressure do you run? Still following OEM's recommend 48 PSI for cold tires?
That is what I am doing, but I am far from an expert on tires. Tire shop didn’t seem confident but didn’t have any alternative recommendations.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So we have legitimately iced over roads right now. (don't believe me, look at the tire tracks coming into my lane from people overshooting the right turn)
Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 1671251127052

The best 0-60 I managed was 10.20s. Dragy didn't like the road I was going up and down for having too many hills. I probably could have done better, but going 60 mph on icy roads is pretty sketchy even with snow tires. With regen on high, the truck actually managed a 60-0 of 11.8s and 506 feet. I hit the actual brakes near the end of it since it was just crawling to the end. I only once felt the regen lock up the wheels and start to slide a little, and that was just before a stop. Otherwise, full regen, fully off the accelerator, no issues.
Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 1671251559272

On the final leg home, I was stuck behind a chain of cars doing under 10 mph. I have no idea why anyone would not get snow tires. I tested every mode available right now, and the only one that spooked me was the soft sand because it let the tires spin up a bit too far. Drift mode was pretty manageable once I got over it wanting to let the truck go a little sideways (it corrects if you get too far out).

Again, I am totally amazed at how well Rivian's traction control works.

Last edited:

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
My tire shop said as long as it’s the same tire size they always set pressure to what it says on the door sticker, and that’s what they did on the Nokian LT3s I just had put on.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T