First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hi all, I did a couple of videos yesterday here in Denver on some pretty slippery roads. I was surprised (as were others) that it didn't perform as well as I expected. At one point, the SUV slid down into the gutter (no damage) just because I was stopped on a sloped road. Not great. This was on the 22 sport tires. Later than evening (when my wife brought the truck home) I went out again in the truck (on 20s) to compare. Much better, but still a bit slippery. HILLS might be a problem for these vehicles. Especially downhill. I also switched over to Conserve for driving around town which does help with the back end slide out problem. My takeways:

1 - Snow Mode is needed (but Conserve helps to keep the back from spinning out)
2 - 20s are better in the snow
3 - Weight makes the hills and slopes sketchy - BE CAREFUL

R1S (on 22s)

R1T (on 20s)

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for experimenting with your 2 very expensive vehicles!

I can’t believe Rivian didn’t have a snow mode ready on day 1.

05soxfan

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
The biggest benefit of winter tires is STOPPING grip. They won't stop all sliding but they are exponentiallly better at stopping in winter conditions than all season tires, particularly on EVs that utilize regen braking.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Andystroh we need you to film your 20" Blizzaks!
We will be skiing this weekend so I will see if there is anywhere worth taking some video, although we got more snow in the metro area than a lot of the mountains did it looks like, about 8" at my home in Golden.

In the absence of a video, my experiences:

In this storm, I drove up and down some of the steeper roads in my neighborhood (About an 8% grade based on some google maps calculations), and it was very similar to what I have seen with snow tires in other vehicles - on steep downhills if you brake too hard you can slide, but doing some downhill tests where I removed my foot entirely from the pedal, it was able to maintain traction throughout the standard regen deceleration to 0mph. This was more packed snow than ice (neighborhood wasn't plowed as of last night). Driving higher traffic plowed streets on the west side of town, I saw other vehicles having issues, but not once did I slip. This was mostly 30-45 mph roads. I even pushed it around some turns (where a slip would have been non-consequential) and was impressed how well the Rivian maintained traction.

A couple of weeks ago I went up i70 during a pretty nasty storm - very icy roads, wet snow just before the sun went down. We ended up in Georgetown with i70 closed westbound, and eastbound (in Idaho springs). On the Floyd hill downhill there was one spot where the Rivian did slide sideways a few inches while traveling at about 20mph, which caught me off guard. But the truck behind me slid from the left lane, across the right lane and onto the shoulder at the same spot. This spot also ended up closing the road westbound later that night due to accidents. Besides that one slip, the vehicle did great, even in a low vis spot where all the vehicles in front slammed on their brakes, the Rivian stopped no problem and the vehicle behind us had to drive off the road to avoid a collision (terrifying). Interesting note, we spent about 4 hours in Georgetown, lost 3% charge while waiting (52-49%). We kept the cabin comfortable and I was glad to know it could last a long time 'idling'.

TL;DR: With snow tires on I do not feel like I need a snow mode, the vehicle performs like other vehicles with snow mode, but I am still cautious on downhills just due to the weight of the truck. And I wouldn't complain about a snow mode.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
No surprise it was terrible on the 22" Sport tires. If anyone had even the slightest hope that "sport" tires would be decent in snow... they need to wake up and smell the powder. Sport tires = summer tires.

Even the 20" AT's are just barely passable as "winter tires" as far as snow competence is concerned. Modern actual winter tires are awesome in snow, make no mistake.

EDIT: a member below posted the 22" tires are not officially listed as "sport" tires as the OP labeled them which I then took from the original post.

Last edited:

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Anyone have snow experiences with the 21s to share? I'm assuming better than the 22s but not as good as the 20s.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

We will be skiing this weekend so I will see if there is anywhere worth taking some video, although we got more snow in the metro area than a lot of the mountains did it looks like, about 8" at my home in Golden.

In the absence of a video, my experiences:

In this storm, I drove up and down some of the steeper roads in my neighborhood (About an 8% grade based on some google maps calculations), and it was very similar to what I have seen with snow tires in other vehicles - on steep downhills if you brake too hard you can slide, but doing some downhill tests where I removed my foot entirely from the pedal, it was able to maintain traction throughout the standard regen deceleration to 0mph. This was more packed snow than ice (neighborhood wasn't plowed as of last night). Driving higher traffic plowed streets on the west side of town, I saw other vehicles having issues, but not once did I slip. This was mostly 30-45 mph roads. I even pushed it around some turns (where a slip would have been non-consequential) and was impressed how well the Rivian maintained traction.

A couple of weeks ago I went up i70 during a pretty nasty storm - very icy roads, wet snow just before the sun went down. We ended up in Georgetown with i70 closed westbound, and eastbound (in Idaho springs). On the Floyd hill downhill there was one spot where the Rivian did slide sideways a few inches while traveling at about 20mph, which caught me off guard. But the truck behind me slid from the left lane, across the right lane and onto the shoulder at the same spot. This spot also ended up closing the road westbound later that night due to accidents. Besides that one slip, the vehicle did great, even in a low vis spot where all the vehicles in front slammed on their brakes, the Rivian stopped no problem and the vehicle behind us had to drive off the road to avoid a collision (terrifying). Interesting note, we spent about 4 hours in Georgetown, lost 3% charge while waiting (52-49%). We kept the cabin comfortable and I was glad to know it could last a long time 'idling'.

TL;DR: With snow tires on I do not feel like I need a snow mode, the vehicle performs like other vehicles with snow mode, but I am still cautious on downhills just due to the weight of the truck. And I wouldn't complain about a snow mode.
and this was on what wheels/tires?

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Rivian 20" wheels, Blizzak LT275/65 R20 (stock 20" size).
IMG_2417.jpeg
You and @Pixelshot should head to Steamboat Springs at the Bridgestone Blizzak snow/ice test track and do some comparisons. I’m sure they’d love Scott’s YT coverage for Blizzaks.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Anyone have snow experiences with the 21s to share? I'm assuming better than the 22s but not as good as the 20s.
I thought they were the same tires in the 21 and 22s. They are all season tires not sport tires as some suggest.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Hi all, I did a couple of videos yesterday here in Denver on some pretty slippery roads. I was surprised (as were others) that it didn't perform as well as I expected. At one point, the SUV slid down into the gutter (no damage) just because I was stopped on a sloped road. Not great. This was on the 22 sport tires. Later than evening (when my wife brought the truck home) I went out again in the truck (on 20s) to compare. Much better, but still a bit slippery. HILLS might be a problem for these vehicles. Especially downhill. I also switched over to Conserve for driving around town which does help with the back end slide out problem. My takeways:

1 - Snow Mode is needed (but Conserve helps to keep the back from spinning out)
2 - 20s are better in the snow
3 - Weight makes the hills and slopes sketchy - BE CAREFUL

R1S (on 22s)

R1T (on 20s)

I know you could not do like for like but are the 20s that much better than the 22s. Can you also confirm the 22s are all season and not sport tires?

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@Pixelshot - as always, really great and informative videos. You are such an asset to our little Rivian Forums community. Thank you for doing everything that you do.

As an R1T reservation holder with 22s configured, I am curious how the R1T performs in 22s in snow. The 22's on the R1S appear to leave little to be desired and I wonder how much of it is wheel base and how much of it is wheel grip. Any chance you experienced snow conditions in the R1T with the 22's for comparison?

To add another voice about the importance of weight for maintaining traction in snow conditions, my little carbon fiber bodied BMW i3s BEV has massive 20 inch wheels and they are the sport wheels with a grip pattern like the 22's on the R1T.

The curb weight of my i3s though is <3000 lbs so I'm coming in at less than half the weight of an R1T. My i3s handles like a champ in the snow - heavy regen braking and all. The i3s has some of the most aggressive regen braking I've ever experienced in an EV and it isn't adjustable. I've had no issues in the snow and drive confidently.

Also, it is completely rear-wheel drive, which makes it an absolute blast to drive in dry conditions and I have yet to slip out in wet or snowy conditions. The traction control is very effective.

I was planning on trading in my i3s when I took delivery - maybe I will keep it and it will be my snow vehicle!

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 1668825179874

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I’ll second @SASSquatch in recognizing Scott for his fantastic videos. I’ve met his entire family and they are wonderful.

The soft compound of a dedicated winter tire that can flex and grip at freezing temperatures over an all season or even an AT will far outweigh any software program. If I wear leather dress shoes or my wife’s pumps to work in snow, even my incredibly intelligent brain that is telling me to scoot, won’t overcome the physics of a proper sole that grips. That’s why I’m so interested in @Andystroh ’s Blizzaks, even though I’d only expect 2 winter seasons out of them at this weight.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I’ll second @SASSquatch in recognizing Scott for his fantastic videos. I’ve met his entire family and they are wonderful.

The soft compound of a dedicated winter tire that can flex and grip at freezing temperatures over an all season or even an AT will far outweigh any software program. If I wear leather dress shoes or my wife’s pumps to work in snow, even my incredibly intelligent brain that is telling me to scoot, won’t overcome the physics of a proper sole that grips. That’s why I’m so interested in @Andystroh ’s Blizzaks, even though I’d only expect 2 winter seasons out of them at this weight.
opnwide - I appreciate physics, but I think to prove your point you are going to have to wear your wife's pumps to work in the snow and take pictures/video! 🤪

Great example, even if not a great visual!
Sponsored