Sponsored

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
Never mind, it looks like the LT3 is available in the stock size per that link. Would love to know efficiency impact as those are heavier tires.
Having lifted them, they are pretty damn heavy. I put them on Monday & haven't driven a ton, but it does seem like I"m taking an efficiency hit. I don't mind too much as in winter, I'm mostly just driving my kids 7 miles to their ski team and back. We do plan on a trip to Utah and I anticipate caring a hell of a lot more then.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone tried airing down their tires a little before driving on the slippery

Yes I definitely agree with you. Yours is a much better technical description than I could have written. As you said, no ICE truck has motors at each wheel (or regen braking) so it’s an interesting puzzle to solve that will probably include us needing to adjust our habits a bit in certain situations.
It is a challenging problem to solve. Rivian does have feedback from each wheel in the form of antilock brake pulses which let the braking system know if a wheel is locked up. The problem is the antilock algorithm is designed for maximum braking i.e. if the tire locks up, reduce braking just enough to allow it to continue to rotate and maintain control while still braking hard. In snow/ice, this same algorithm could reduce regen to allow the tire to turn BUT you could still be sliding! So it gets more complex, such as attempting to use accelerometer data to determine actual rate of deceleration vs rotational distance, etc.

I await my R1S so I have no experience with this. But I think until they address this adequately, I would probably be turning off regen when driving in snow.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It is a challenging problem to solve. Rivian does have feedback from each wheel in the form of antilock brake pulses which let the braking system know if a wheel is locked up. The problem is the antilock algorithm is designed for maximum braking i.e. if the tire locks up, reduce braking just enough to allow it to continue to rotate and maintain control while still braking hard. In snow/ice, this same algorithm could reduce regen to allow the tire to turn BUT you could still be sliding! So it gets more complex, such as attempting to use accelerometer data to determine actual rate of deceleration vs rotational distance, etc.

I await my R1S so I have no experience with this. But I think until they address this adequately, I would probably be turning off regen when driving in snow.
I‘m glad it’s not my problem to solve! Until they have a snow mode ready they could probably make people happy just adding “low” and “off” regen options. That might be enough right there. Keep it simple.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Finally got my R5's on and took it for a quick drive. Sport mode and all purpose both spin the tires pretty good, even from 10 mph. I'm going to have to re-learn how to drive on dry pavement.

Or maybe we need a "Dry Pavement Snow Tire Mode"............

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T PXL_20221126_181552019

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Finally got my R5's on and took it for a quick drive. Sport mode and all purpose both spin the tires pretty good, even from 10 mph. I'm going to have to re-learn how to drive on dry pavement.

PXL_20221126_181552019.jpg
I think it's because the new tires have a coating which will take some miles to wear off.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think it's because the new tires have a coating which will take some miles to wear off.
Any coating would have been burned off when I smelled rubber after the first launch.

I got a little bit longer drive in yesterday after first posting. Doing passes at full throttle from 45 mph leads to the truck feeling squirmy in a way I never felt on the stock 22s. It feels like the steering pulls into the lane change turn in a bad way. Normal turning just feels like typical winter tires where the steering response is somewhat deadened. Not more than I would have expected though.

I will say that it was nice that Rivian programmed the tire pressure sensors to the truck, I didn't have to do anything to get the truck to recognize them but it did take two drive cycles for them to show up. Could just be that the stock wheels were too close to the truck and the computer still picked them up before leaving on the first short drive.

It's raining out right now, might go see how the tires fair in the wet.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Has anyone played around with different tire pressures when driving in the ice/ snow? I’ve never done that with any other AT tire in winter but it may be a temporary help. Having the onboard compressor would make it a little easier.

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone have snow experiences with the 21s to share? I'm assuming better than the 22s but not as good as the 20s.
Yeah. I've gone up and down Big Cottonwood Canyon (SLC, UT) at least ten times since Nov 1. All in the 21". No problems yet. Parking lots are full of ice, and I've watched folks slip and fall walking. No traction issues so far. It's snowing right now at my house. I'll update if I experience any issues.

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales

PXL_20221126_181552019.jpg
What did they cost you?

Sponsored

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yeah. I've gone up and down Big Cottonwood Canyon (SLC, UT) at least ten times since Nov 1. All in the 21". No problems yet. Parking lots are full of ice, and I've watched folks slip and fall walking. No traction issues so far. It's snowing right now at my house. I'll update if I experience any issues.
I am in Huntsville near Snowbasin. Hit the road on my 22s today in the 5-6" that came down. Overall I was impressed with how it fared, especially on acceleration. However, you can tell they are not snow tires. A few turns left me sliding a bit purely based on lack of traction on the tires. Going downhill and having the Regen hit definitely had my heart pumping a few times, as has been stated many other times on other threads. I have been a Jeep guy for the past 10 years and the snow mode is hard to beat. We need something similar on Rivian, even if there are other factors to take into account.

Any recommendations on snow tire options for the 22s?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
*edit: I am new to this forum and the do's/dont's/best practices for replies and topics and feature requests, etc. If you see this and have any advice on how I could have posted better for the forum or in a different method and/or place, please let me know :)

------
AGREE COMPLETELY

I think I was out driving my R1T (20" AT tires) same day/time with this denver recent snow storm , and I have to say I saw a bunch of trucks and other vehicles sliding around - it was especially slippery and icy that day - however, I am starting to get concerned with how high the regenerative breaking is in the snow/ice as it's very easy to want to take your foot off the accelerator when you start to slide, or hit a patch of snow or someone switches lanes in front you, etc - older vehicles you just coast but that sudden applicaiton of breaking in snow or ice conditions is very tricky to get used to! I REALLY wish I could turn off regen breaking on a setting to Lowest possible (much like it is on a full charge when it's reduced) during those conditions. I am really hoping it's a future option with a 'snow mode'

I also do not like the fact that driver and cruise control are pretty much unusable once the camera in the front is covered from snow or fog- I was driving from Denver to boulder in recent blizzard like conditions( bombing snow coming down and against my direction right towards me) and noticed 3 things I did not like: 1) The stock wipers did not work very well , so I upgraded to some heavy duty snow/ice Rain X ones hoping that helps - I could also have not been crushing the defrost as much as I should 2) *** This one was tough, the lights are so bright it felt like I was on a mushroom trip and as if I could see every snowflake coming at me in some sort of starwars lightspeed (see pic attached) action. It was very distracting and I wish there was a way to literally turn down the intensity of the lights - or at least an option to only use fog lights or something - from what I tried there is only 'lights' and 'lights + fog ( front and side) which did not help - a snow mode having better light controls to dim down the brightness a bit or something would be great in these conditions. 3)This could have been user error but seemingly the camera was coverd with snow or fog or ice and driver + was not available, which is fine in those conditions, but, it did not give me the ability to even use cruise control which I really wanted to use on this road and conditions. In an older car you can always use cruise control if you want, and I kept gettting 'adaptive cruise control is unavailable right now ! I should be able to use cruise control whenever I want ,just cruise control.

Would love any feedback on this thread and experience in a response, DM, or a link to another thread covering some of these if anyone has the time !

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 1.09.53 PM.png
Totally agree about wanting dumb cruise control.

Having lifted them, they are pretty damn heavy. I put them on Monday & haven't driven a ton, but it does seem like I"m taking an efficiency hit. I don't mind too much as in winter, I'm mostly just driving my kids 7 miles to their ski team and back. We do plan on a trip to Utah and I anticipate caring a hell of a lot more then.
I just did 1,000 miles with mine and averaged within 0.1 mi/kwh of someone who did basically the same route before me. My navigation range estimates were also just as accurate as they were with the stock 20s. I suspect the range when driving at a roughly constant speed is within the margin of error of any of us being able to tell. I ended up averaging about 1.8ish mi/kwh going between 75 and 85mph. I say ish because I got like 1.85 on the way out, and then forgot to reset my energy consumption before heading back so I had an average of about 1.75 mi/kwh on the way back including two days of driving in town and preconditioning the truck several times.

Driving around in the city I *think* I've seen a slight hit in efficiency, but with temperatures changing and Rivian lumping in non-driving energy usage to the mi/kwh energy calc I'm honestly very could be getting basically the same.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What did they cost you?
$387 per tire before tax. Rivian wheels were significantly more than that.
Finally got around to getting the dragy working today. Least tire spin on this launch. Still hits pretty good but starts spinning the whole way through until 30-40 mph or so?. Rivian's traction control for accelerating is so darn good.
Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T 1669727417197

Last edited:

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I wanna make a new post but I waste enough time as it is. I'M CALLING BULLSHIT ON THIS WHOLE "SNOW MODE" CARPING.

I've now driven the R1T in bad ice/snow conditions on 3 different tires. My R1T on 21" stock tires, my R1T with Toyo Snow tires and finally a loaner LE with 20" stock AT.

I spent the better part of today (a good 150 miles) slogging through a winter storm in the LE loaner. 6" of new snow and good hour drive on glare ice stop & go rush hour traffic. For kicks I left it on high regen most of the time. The truck performed perfect and the Pirelli AT aren't that bad. Not nearly as good as my Toyos and better than the 21" Pirelli's (which weren't event that bad on snow/ice)

I don't know what kind of drivers you guys are but I just have NONE of the issues you describe. None. Maybe I'm just a freakishly good driver but never once over the last 3 snow outings on any of these tires did I feel a new for something different...aka Snow Mode.