Sponsored

Slots in R1T bed gunnels -- will these accommodate the manual tonneau cover ?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We took delivery of our R1T two weeks ago. Ours came without any tonneau cover. It appears that there are slots in the bed gunnels. Will these accommodate the manual tonneau panels if and when they become available?

Brian
Sponsored

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Similar situation. I asked the tech at delivery and he said, yes, it will accommodate the manual tonneau, so I am hopeful. Time will tell.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
It sure would be nice if there was some news on the manual cover.

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Same story when I took delivery in Dec 2022

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian removed the powered tonneau from all new builds last October and still has not produced the promised simple 4-pannel aluminum billet manual tonneau yet- even though many of us have already paid for it.

But, if you have the slots in the bed, you're manual tonneau ready.

That's why I laugh when I see people posting about how "simple" V2G/V2H (Vehicle to Grid/Vehicle to Home reverse charging) is to implement and complain that hasn't Rivian done it yet. V2G/V2H is not simple, but building a 4 panel aluminum billet tonneau is and they haven't managed to get that done in 8 months time. V2G/V2H from Rivian? ... forget about it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Provided the slots are present, you're good to go once it's released. There are several 3rd party options that have come up, one of which seems to be very close to what I imagine the first party manual tonneau will be like.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Same story when I took delivery in Dec 2022
Same. Already paid for it too.

Seems a little silly that it has taken this long even to release a concept.

I will say, though, that I would rather wait a little while and have a tested final product rather than the powered tonneau fiasco...

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Rivian removed the powered tonneau from all new builds last October and still has not produced the promised simple 4-pannel aluminum billet manual tonneau yet- even though many of us have already paid for it.

But, if you have the slots in the bed, you're manual tonneau ready.

That's why I laugh when I see people posting about how "simple" V2G/V2H (Vehicle to Grid/Vehicle to Home reverse charging) is to implement and complain that hasn't Rivian done it yet. V2G/V2H is not simple, but building a 4 panel aluminum billet tonneau is and they haven't managed to get that done in 8 months time. V2G/V2H from Rivian? ... forget about it!
If Rivian is having this much trouble sourcing the manual tonneau, it's safe to assume we won't see the tunnel shuttle or camp kitchen for years if ever. The accessories team clearly isn't well resourced.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

last we heard from Rivian on this was the email they sent 4/10/23. here you go (with some🧂):
"We wanted to follow up with an update on the manual tonneau cover for your R1T. The manual tonneau cover’s interlocking panels are expected to begin shipping to customers in summer of 2023. You’ll get an update with more information once deliveries are ready to begin."

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
s00n...

For the $1800 they are charging for that cover, you'd think they wouldn't have any problems finding a supplier to fulfill several thousand orders, and still have a HEFTY profit margin.

s00n...

Sponsored

markinarch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2021 Kia Telluride SX
Occupation
Architect
Need some clarification on this as I try to configure my R1T. The manual tonneau puts me over $80000, so no IRA credit. I thought I could just buy the tonneau after purchase but then received this email:

"We noticed you’ve chosen no tonneau cover in your configuration. Please note, vehicles configured with no tonneau cover will not include integrated siderails and will not be compatible with the manual tonneau cover.

If you would like lockable bed storage, then we suggest reconfiguring to manual tonneau cover."

So this means the truck wouldn't be able to retrofit rails or have any type of tonneau - even aftermarket? At that point I would forego the IRA credit because I really want lockable bed storage.

Is my understanding correct? Does anyone have pictures of the bed without rails?

Thanks.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

What you have posted is consistent with what Rivian have said before that to have the rails you need to have the manual cover selected at purchase.
Whether rails can be retrofitted hasn’t been tried yet and you would need the parts from Rivian and then fit them if that is possible.

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

What you have posted is consistent with what Rivian have said before that to have the rails you need to have the manual cover selected at purchase.
Whether rails can be retrofitted hasn’t been tried yet and you would need the parts from Rivian and then fit them if that is possible.
We did not order the manual tonneau cover. Our R1T (VIN: 22xxx) was produced in late March, 2023. It does have the slots in the bed gunnels for the tonneau panels.

Brian

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

We did not order the manual tonneau cover. Our R1T (VIN: 22xxx) was produced in late March, 2023. It does have the slots in the bed gunnels for the tonneau panels.

Brian
I am taking delivery of a 20xxx late March build next week; several employees have assured me the vehicle is coming manual-tonneau ready, even though I don’t have it selected for pickup.

Perhaps either
1. Someone originally configured this (but later unmatched it) with manual tonneau, but R1 Shop allowed me to purchase it without
2. Rivian started to NOT equip the truck for the manual tonneau if not selected at time of order sometime after late March

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Brian
The slots are there currently whether you buy a manual cover or not. What Rivian have said that is in the future (undefined currently) if you don’t order a manual cover the slots will go.
Sponsored