Sponsored

Sliding gear tunnel, all weather matts, and other questions I asked Rivian this morning

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Acura MDX
Just spoke with someone at Rivian and thought some of you might like this info.

Sliding platform for gear tunnel:
1) Right now the configurator shows the platform has one handle and one stand and is usable on the passenger's side. I brought up that many times when I am working I am by myself and would like the option for it to be installed or workable from the driver's side. Also if you are hiking parking may be on one side of the road or the other and blocked without access.
2). She will get back to me about the ability to change the side as needed or at least installed with drivers vs passengers preference. She thought it might be accessible and usable from either side, but it looks to me like there is a backstop that would prevent moving it both directions. I will update when she contacts me back.

All weather matts:
1). If you order the all weather matts you will still receive the standard carpet matts so that you can interchange if you desire

Ocean coast interior:
1). I have a concern that dye from denim blue jeans that are damp from sweat may leach into the fabric, as I have been told happens with the smooth vegan leather that is in Teslas. She told me that ocean coast has an underlying grey fleck/color and is more resistant to staining and so far no one has reported blue seats with the ocean coast material.
2). I asked about reflections on the two screens in OC vs Black interior and she didn't have any info if it was any worse as both will have the panoramic roof in the LE.

Tow hooks without skid plate:
1). I asked a question about being able to order just the tow hooks as I have need of those but not so much the skid plate. (please don't flame me, just wanted to see if that might be a possibility as I have a high need for tow hooks on my hobby farm.). She said they are an integrated package and MAY be a possibility in the future but nothing in the near term.

1). Since I live 2.5 hours away from any major metro, I won't be able to participate in the hand's on personal truck part so I asked about the ones planned in the major US cities and expressed my concern as an LE holder I would like to have a little time to ride in one and just see the colors/interiors. My concern that these events could be so packed that I would wait for hours in line to spend 5min or less seeing one.
2). She reconfirmed that these will not be open to the general public and that they will prioritize LE preorders first.

Hopefully this is helpful for those of you with some of these questions this morning.
Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I am curious about the direction of the Gear Tunnel and the Camp Kitchen as well. If you are camping, I would figure that your food and supplied would be in the truck bed and so it'd be an annoying workflow to be standing where the passenger doors are, walk around the Camp Kitchen, to the tailgate or over the truck bed to grab what you needed. Also, if you are tailgating, then the party is going to be in the rear and you'd be further from the party.

OP
OP

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Acura MDX
I am curious about the direction of the Gear Tunnel and the Camp Kitchen as well. If you are camping, I would figure that your food and supplied would be in the truck bed and so it'd be an annoying workflow to be standing where the passenger doors are, walk around the Camp Kitchen, to the tailgate or over the truck bed to grab what you needed. Also, if you are tailgating, then the party is going to be in the rear and you'd be further from the party.
Received the information from rivian today. Apparently the slide for the gear tunnel can only extend from the passenger side. You cannot switch it to the driver side. Hope this helps anyone trying to make a decision on this $1500 purchase.

Rivian R1T R1S Sliding gear tunnel, all weather matts, and other questions I asked Rivian this morning 147AE8D7-2B01-4C7A-AB62-6E17E228FD91

Alan C

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Triton and MG Midget 1500
Occupation
Retired

1) Right now the configurator shows the platform has one handle and one stand and is usable on the passenger's side. I brought up that many times when I am working I am by myself and would like the option for it to be installed or workable from the driver's side. Also if you are hiking parking may be on one side of the road or the other and blocked without access.
2). She will get back to me about the ability to change the side as needed or at least installed with drivers vs passengers preference. She thought it might be accessible and usable from either side, but it looks to me like there is a backstop that would prevent moving it both directions. I will update when she contacts me back.

All weather matts:
1). If you order the all weather matts you will still receive the standard carpet matts so that you can interchange if you desire

Ocean coast interior:
1). I have a concern that dye from denim blue jeans that are damp from sweat may leach into the fabric, as I have been told happens with the smooth vegan leather that is in Teslas. She told me that ocean coast has an underlying grey fleck/color and is more resistant to staining and so far no one has reported blue seats with the ocean coast material.
2). I asked about reflections on the two screens in OC vs Black interior and she didn't have any info if it was any worse as both will have the panoramic roof in the LE.

1). I asked a question about being able to order just the tow hooks as I have need of those but not so much the skid plate. (please don't flame me, just wanted to see if that might be a possibility as I have a high need for tow hooks on my hobby farm.). She said they are an integrated package and MAY be a possibility in the future but nothing in the near term.

1). Since I live 2.5 hours away from any major metro, I won't be able to participate in the hand's on personal truck part so I asked about the ones planned in the major US cities and expressed my concern as an LE holder I would like to have a little time to ride in one and just see the colors/interiors. My concern that these events could be so packed that I would wait for hours in line to spend 5min or less seeing one.
2). She reconfirmed that these will not be open to the general public and that they will prioritize LE preorders first.

Hopefully this is helpful for those of you with some of these questions this morning.
Eventually Rivian will build RHD vehicles so you might expect the roll out would then fit the opposite side of the truck.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just thinking through this. I’m planning to make my own sliding platform. There are several manufacturers that make 2-way drawer slides. Other considerations would be cable management for the power cord, a leg for both ends to support the slide when it’s fully extended, and perhaps a locking mechanism that can be released from either side of the gear tunnel.

Sponsored

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Just thinking through this. I’m planning to make my own sliding platform. There are several manufacturers that make 2-way drawer slides. Other considerations would be cable management for the power cord, a leg for both ends to support the slide when it’s fully extended, and perhaps a locking mechanism that can be released from either side of the gear tunnel.
Don’t have that level of skill. Also ensuring compatibility with must have Rivian toys in the future is important to me. I wish I had the ability that you do. Kudos!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s

All weather matts:

Ocean coast interior:

Awesome. I have same q for tow hooks. I would bet the support for the hooks is built in so you could aftermarket it.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I was interested in the sliding platform until I saw it in person. I didn't think it was worth the purchase price for me. As others have said, I would probably look at third party or home built solutions that can slide to the other side and take up less room.

OP
OP

BoatTox

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Acura MDX
I was interested in the sliding platform until I saw it in person. I didn't think it was worth the purchase price for me. As others have said, I would probably look at third party or home built solutions that can slide to the other side and take up less room.
Thank you both for replying. I think I will take it off which would get me under the taxable rate. This along with the delayed in timing continues to affect my purchase decision. Really appreciate the feedback

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Awaiting the aftermarket to bring more affordable alternatives for making the most of the Gear Tunnel

Sponsored

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
Awaiting the aftermarket to bring more affordable alternatives for making the most of the Gear Tunnel
I'd be surprised if there's many 3rd party alternatives produced that aren't essentially just custom jobs. I suspect the market will be too small - it's just R1T and some, probably small subset (IMO) of those purchasers that will want anything.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd be surprised if there's many 3rd party alternatives produced that aren't essentially just custom jobs. I suspect the market will be too small - it's just R1T and some, probably small subset (IMO) of those purchasers that will want anything.
You might be surprised. There is a very active third party community of small run manufacturers in the 4 wheel / "overloading" community. I already know a company working on something cool for the R1T.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you both for replying. I think I will take it off which would get me under the taxable rate. This along with the delayed in timing continues to affect my purchase decision. Really appreciate the feedback
I'm going to the Santa Clarita Drive event on the 18th. If one of the trucks is equipped with it I can shoot a video of it to give you a better idea. I could see it being very helpful and useful for some people, I'm just not ordering it for myself. I definitely wouldn't add it if it puts you over the tax cap. Would be cheaper to buy it after and not risk your rebate.

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
You might be surprised. There is a very active third party community of small run manufacturers in the 4 wheel / "overloading" community. I already know a company working on something cool for the R1T.
I probably should have added that I'm definitely hoping I am going to be wrong and you're right here. :)
Sponsored