Sponsored

Slide in Camper Option incoming from Earth Roamer

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Rivian is a great truck, but not the right platform for a slide-in camper. Need to go Lightning or Cybertruck, something with a real bed and real capacity.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For the record Earthcruiser used to offer a product like this so not much of a stretch. That said their previous model, GZL 300 still weighed 1200 lbs dry.

https://earthcruiser.com/tag/gzl/

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I'd expect a real shell design might require taking all the plastics off to save weight.
Anybody have any pics what the bed looks like with all the plastic removed?

Pipe dream, but if it were me I'd ditch the plastic and do a spray-in bedliner over whatever's underneath. Ya know, like a real truck. 😜🤣

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Anybody have any pics what the bed looks like with all the plastic removed?

Pipe dream, but if it were me I'd ditch the plastic and do a spray-in bedliner over whatever's underneath. Ya know, like a real truck. 😜🤣
Uhm. You're going to be disappointed. The plastic panels are the bed.

Rivian R1T R1S Slide in Camper Option incoming from Earth Roamer 1674588974258

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is that an R1T bed?? better yet is that YOUR R1T bed
It's mine. I took it out to run some wiring. Plastics probably total somewhere in the 50-100 lbs range but I didn't measure any of them.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
It's mine. I took it out to run some wiring. Plastics probably total somewhere in the 50-100 lbs range but I didn't measure any of them.
interesting... how hard was it to take out and put back in?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

interesting... how hard was it to take out and put back in?
Awkward more than anything else. I didn't get the alignment of the latches for the spare tire lid in quite the right place so it doesn't pop up anymore, have to pry it up to open it. The handle and the opposing corner trim capture the bed slightly and need to be unscrewed from the bottom. I just pried up on it until it popped over them, then did the reverse to put it back. I wouldn't recommend doing that since they're kinda wonky now. Definitely take the extra time to remove the panels under the bottom of the truck to get better access at the latches.

Last edited:

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Awkward more than anything else. I didn't get the alignment of the latches for the spare tire lid in quite the right place so it doesn't pop up anymore, have to pry it up to open it. The handle and the opposing corner trim capture the bed slightly and need to be unscrewed from the bottom. I just pried up on it until it popped over them, then did the reverse to put it back. I wouldn't recommend doing that since they're kinda wonky now.
good to know thanks

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

$135,000 for a slide in camper!!! Thanks, but no thanks. Obviously, with the bed size, it's going to be VERY small. For the ones that retract to be higher, leaves little storage space when travelling.

5 foot bed. Even if you get one that hangs over the edge, what could you get, maybe 8 or 9 feet counting a cabover portion.

Also makes the truck very top heavy. Plus they're a pain in the rear to put in and take off.

Would much rather go get a 16-20 foot tag along that weighs 4,000 lbs. Leaves all of your storage space the truck, plus whatever you want to put in the trailer itself. Has a real bathroom instead of these dry toilets that you have take out to dump your own crap. Minimal water tanks. The 16-20 foot trailers these days can be very light, sleep 6 to 8 people, have fully functional bathrooms and kitchens. Arrive at your destination, unhook in 5 minutes and you have free use of your truck while you're there.

Oh, and can probably find one for $20,000!
Sponsored