First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Researching slide-in campers such as https://www.scoutcampers.com/scoutyoho. One question that has come up in determining compatibility is the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle on the R1T. I've asked customer service...waiting for a response. Anyone here know?
Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Researching slide-in campers such as https://www.scoutcampers.com/scoutyoho. One question that has come up in determining compatibility is the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle on the R1T. I've asked customer service...waiting for a response. Anyone here know?
I don't know, and it is a good question. Especially if the gear tunnel would push the camper further to the rear.

Don't forget your spare is under the bed floor, too.

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I don't know, and it is a good question. Especially if the gear tunnel would push the camper further to the rear.

Don't forget your spare is under the bed floor, too.
Yep, I figure I can work with the camper people on a spare tire access solution...driving without a full size spare is nuts...I once had to drive 100 I-5 miles on a speed limited donut...with hazard blinkers going all the time; a white knuckle experience I never want to repeat.

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Yep, I figure I can work with the camper people on a spare tire access solution...driving without a full size spare is nuts...I once had to drive 100 I-5 miles on a speed limited donut...with hazard blinkers going all the time; a white knuckle experience I never want to repeat.
I also got a question from one of the possibilities (https://www.kimboliving.com/) asking about the space between the wheel wells. Got this from Rivian: the bed width between wheelhouses is 1,277mm or 50.3in. The Kimbo folks confirm that I can put one of their campers on the Rivian.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I also got a question from one of the possibilities (https://www.kimboliving.com/) asking about the space between the wheel wells. Got this from Rivian: the bed width between wheelhouses is 1,277mm or 50.3in. The Kimbo folks confirm that I can put one of their campers on the Rivian.
There must be some miscommunication here, this can't be right.

The official specs page says the bed width is 51"

This would mean the wheel wells only intrude into the bed by less than half an inch each?

I'm not buying it.

Additionally, if the distance between the wheel wells was confirmed to be great than 48" (and therefore handling the width of 4x8 sheet goods) we would've heard loudly about this.

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

This would mean the wheel wells only intrude into the bed by less than half an inch each?

I'm not buying it.

Additionally, if the distance between the wheel wells was confirmed to be great than 48" (and therefore handling the width of 4x8 sheet goods) we would've heard loudly about this.
Rivian R1T R1S slide in camper: cab to rear axel question 1605742538137

Somebody would have to get back there with a tape measure to confirm, but if it is 51" at the narrowest point of the sides, which I think is in the back by the tailgate, there certainly isn't much of a difference between the wheel wells and the side rails. I'm assuming that the line I see on the side of the floor is straight, which may not be a valid assumption.

Another angle... Admittedly, this one makes it looks like the wheel wells stick out further than the they do in the first picture.
Rivian R1T R1S slide in camper: cab to rear axel question 1605742728473

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Yeah, I think I need to pursue this a little bit further. There's such demand for campers now that if I want to have one this summer, I need to order it before I actually get the truck...big risk if the numbers aren't right. In the case of the Kimbo (link above), they only need 42.4", but best to be sure.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1605742538137.png

Somebody would have to get back there with a tape measure to confirm, but if it is 51" at the narrowest point of the sides, which I think is in the back by the tailgate, there certainly isn't much of a difference between the wheel wells and the side rails. I'm assuming that the line I see on the side of the floor is straight, which may not be a valid assumption.
After my reply I went digging for official "production" pictures of the bed and found this same one. I totally agree it *looks like* the wheel wells roughly match up with the "narrowest point on the sides" at the gate.

Which would be incredible.

I also just finished a chat with Sara asking - very explicitly - for some sort of confirmation of the wheel well clearance vs. overall truck bed width, as a lot of people will be interested in this magic hardware store number.

She understands the ramifications of getting precise answer and added it to her after hours queue to take to engineering/production.

Once I get the email that she promised (probably tonight) I'll share here.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I think I need to pursue this a little bit further. There's such demand for campers now that if I want to have one this summer, I need to order it before I actually get the truck...big risk if the numbers aren't right. In the case of the Kimbo (link above), they only need 42.4", but best to be sure.
If Kimbo only needs 42.4" you're definitely in the clear.

But man, for the all of the potential hardware store uses, I'm jonesing for the official "is it wider than 48"?" answer :)

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Welp, confirmed.

Total bed width - 51.1"
Width between the wheelhouses - 50.3"

This is fantastic news.

Rivian R1T R1S slide in camper: cab to rear axel question Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.41.19 PM

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't see any lower floor tie down points in the front of the bed??

Swanson4

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1500 Ram
What are you going to use for tie downs? I wouldn't think you would just bolt on the frame underneath.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In the spirit of measure twice, cut once... don't forget to account for the roof spoiler.

Rivian R1T R1S slide in camper: cab to rear axel question r1t_profile

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
In the spirit of measure twice, cut once... don't forget to account for the roof spoiler.

r1t_profile.png
don't remember seeing that before...will have to get the measurements. A couple of the vendor/builders I've been asking about seem interested in working out solutions, new market and all. Electrical connections will be different; another thing to work out.

OP
OP
C.R. Rivian

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

I'm not buying it.

BTW: the Kimbo folks tell me they can only do it if the tailgate is down...so, not interested. Going the towed camper route...
Sponsored