Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I decided to try skiing in the R1, it's my first time taking it up in the hills so I wanted to write a little trip report for anyone who might find it useful

Summary:
2.17 mi/kwh 170 miles to/from winter park, CO
3h46m drive time
Departure conditions ~45F, garaged
Arrival conditions ~5F - overcast
Most of trip around ~20-25F, wind 18-22mph WNW.
Time at destination = 4hr

Starting SOC = 100%
Ending SOC = 37%
Driven mostly in AWD/Low (about 20 miles in Conserve/Low and similar in AWD/Med)

The Bad:
Not much bad to report, just 2 things that really bugged me:
1 - STOP TURNING MY RECIRC OFF. If I put it on it means I WANT IT ON. In the cold I can see this actually being a significant energy saver as long as you're avoiding humidity buildup since you're not heating frozen air so much.
2 - The windshield washer is useless at speed, it leaves an uncleaned spot right in the line of sight and higher. I suspect they did this so that it doesn't spray over the windscreen to the roof when stopped since it cleans properly when not moving, but it is annoying when actually driving through poor conditions.

On Driver+:

I tried D+ on this trip and it seemed to handle i70 reasonably well (and this is one of the most challenging interstate highways to deal with), lane centering feels much improved over the past and I didn't get any unexpected sudden actions or pingponging. Overall cruise performance was good, though I'm not a fan of it slowing through corners it does at least communicate what it's doing.

I did get one disengagement with a warning (I don't know if I was just entering an unmapped part or what happened) and at one point it looked like it was about to overshoot the lane shift in a construction zone so I turned it off. Clearer handoffs from disengagement or to take over if the system is unsure would be good.

On Cold performance:

Leaving from my garage I didn't have restricted performance except regen from the 100% charge - and I think the car does a good job letting you know this and what to expect. I never saw cold-restricted performance or warnings on the trip, despite letting the car sit outside for 4 hours after driving. I'd suspect this may not be an issue for most day trips, and really just an overnight issue.

On Snow performance:

While there's probably some merit to complaints about the tire performance or the vehicle handling in snow, I didn't notice much of an issue. You're absolutely going to suffer from the higher weight and the fact that the AT is decidedly not a snow tire, but it's not undriveable by any means and with proper adjustment can be plenty safe. I never noticed anything I would describe as a sudden loss of control, rather the front end washing out gradually on switchbacks if pushed too hard (I played around with it a bit), and balancing braking at less than full regen. I do think a reduced regen mode is still needed, as most drivers will probably be unable to accurately respond to a loss of control with the accelerator (In the interim - soft sand mode also enables lower regen but it's not much lower.)

My worst conditions were up and down a relatively steep grade on packed and flaky compressed snow at subfreezing temperature. On dry and wet surfaces I never felt like I didn't have adequate traction, even in this cold. My tires show a cold pressure of 42PSI at 10F ambient for what it's worth. Yes I know it's under the spec.

In short: The tires are driveable - snow tires are great but in almost all cases, reducing speed and increasing follow distance is an acceptable substitute. If this is inconvenient for you or you encounter a lot of ice in particular I would recommend a snow tire.

On Efficiency:

I'm rather impressed with the overall drive efficiency of the car given these conditions. High wind and cold temperatures are two of the biggest killers for range, yet my expected range based on what I drove is still 270 miles, about the same as the EPA estimate for this configuration. High altitude helps (although in this case I'm sure the wind took that away), and while my reported average speed was 45, that's mostly because of a couple slow sections getting through town, into the park, parking, etc. Most of the miles I have to drive are more equivalent to a state or interstate highway (60-80mph)

Final thoughts:

I think I was prepared for a lot worse based on reading other experiences in snow and cold. I'm quite impressed overall with the usable range and efficiency in what could be some of the worst conditions for driving EV. It's easy to pound out miles in this thing, the ride is good enough to deal with less than ideal roads, and driving the R1 in traffic is almost therapeutic given how smooth and easy it is and how much situational awareness you can get (combination of good overall visibility, sensors, and the ability to better see surroundings when operating with D+.) My other car is a manual turbo and while I sometimes miss that, it's an absolute chore in traffic and you get enough toys and configuration options in the R1 to 'scratch the itch to mess with something' every so often if you choose.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You left out your review of the skiing ;) WP this week must have been good.

I’ve been at around 2.0 on 20” with snow tires. also pretty happy with the winter efficiency. I agree the I-70 driver+ has improved and is pretty usable. I always disable it going through the construction zones though.

OP
OP
Arky

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
You left out your review of the skiing ;) WP this week must have been good.
Oh yes it was :). Overall snowpack is still a little thin but it hasn't been flattened too badly so there's some powder that makes some of those paths more pleasant than they might otherwise be even with more snow on the hill. It was just cold as heck out there this week.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I love wp... Please stop going. It's starting to get real busy on the weekend!

But I would echo your comments. I get pretty great efficiency too (on 21s) and haven't had any major snow issues yet. Although I just bought a set of winter tire/wheels I plan to put on next week.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thank you so much for posting, this is super helpful. I do plan on doing this trip OFTEN in my soon to arrive R1T from the Denver area. Also Eldora, which should be even better than this. You probably parked at Mary Jane, which is what I will do also, but Winter Park has also installed L2 chargers in the lots as well as the parking garage if truly necessary.

I plan on installing Michelin X-Ice tires on my 22s shortly after I get the truck.

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
You had a bit better efficiency than I did from my home in Westminster to WP. I averaged 2.04 mi/kwh for 155.6 miles - we left pet mode on for 3 hours while we skied but I don't know if the trip meter counts that or not.

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

As a fellow front-ranger, this is super insightful. Thanks for the detailed summary!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I read this:
I decided to try skiing in the R1...
And I pictured this:
Rivian R1T R1S Ski / snow trip experience with the R1T 1671207798655

In all seriousness, thank you for the detailed write-up!

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Terrific write-up, much appreciated. Gives me some idea of what to expect on my 2026 ski trip (assumes that my R1T Max delivers by 2025)!

On the skiing thing, we've been going mostly to the Wasatch for about the last 20 or so years, but this year, will only range only as far west as CO. We plan on a stop in Steamboat, followed by a week in Copper/A-Basin and another in Winter Park. The last three places are actually firsts for me, and I'm really looking forward to this trip. Will be keeping an eye out for R1T's . . . and keeping fingers crossed for a 2026 trip in a Rivian.

Sponsored

Ryan1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 Subaru Impreza
Clubs

I think snow performance in the R1T is actually pretty impressive. Just went out for a trip in my R1T (20" ATs) in this Northeastern snowstorm on some pretty twisting, hilly, unplowed roads. I did try sand mode and I felt like it made a pretty solid difference on the worst of the roads when I engaged it, though that may have been mostly psychological.

I honestly think the R1T on AT did better than our Forester on snows would have, but if things had gone poorly I would have been pretty mad with myself.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Will be really interesting to see new reports coming in once "Snow Mode" is up and running....

porkbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pivot Switchblade, Nukeproof Scout
The Bad:
1 - STOP TURNING MY RECIRC OFF. If I put it on it means I WANT IT ON. In the cold I can see this actually being a significant energy saver as long as you're avoiding humidity buildup since you're not heating frozen air so much.
2 - The windshield washer is useless at speed, it leaves an uncleaned spot right in the line of sight and higher. I suspect they did this so that it doesn't spray over the windscreen to the roof when stopped since it cleans properly when not moving, but it is annoying when actually driving through poor conditions.
Yep, I'd prefer not to breath the coal rollers either, why have a recirc setting if it won't stay on for more than 2 minutes?

Mine leaves the upper right a smeared mess. I saw the same issue on two others on our t-day trip along the 80. Also, you apparently can't run the wipers while it's charging? One of the things you do at a stop during a trip is clean the windshield of bugs. Not being able to complete the process with a quick wiper run is an insane usability oversight.

3 - The UI on the touchscreen feels like a UX designer making 'My first UI'. Very little of the useful screen elements are driver centric, which is made worse while moving.

Also, why are there lights settings on 3 different screens?

There's so much real estate on the physical screen, there's no reason to have a shitty 'adaptive' main menu that doesn't let you choose which icons should be there. Just display them all.

Traditional garage button. Reach and press once. This one, hit the smallest possible icon that puts me into a submenu. Really? If there's not more than one opener configured, there's no need for a submenu. Geez.

I could go on, but Rivian should be paying me $200/hr to frame up a UI that actually works well and makes sense. /rant

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Interesting you never got a restricted performance message after sitting that long. During bear and deer seasons in PA in the last month, I got the acceleration and regen diminished until battery warms up every time I parked for even an hour. Temps were in the low teens a couple of mornings, but mostly in the 20s or 30s and had the warning every time I got in the truck.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
I decided to try skiing in the R1, it's my first time taking it up in the hills so I wanted to write a little trip report for anyone who might find it useful

The Bad:
I'm not really clear why you would want recirculation on in winter. In a traditional ICE and even all EVs I've driven heating does not remove humidity. This is why our windshield fogs up in the winter. In the summer the AC dehumidifies so you can run recirculation. In many modern vehicles the recirculation will get forced off possibly because there is a humidity sensor that will know when you are going to fog your windshield.
Sponsored