First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That is crazy. Sure seems like we are hearing about more of these tie rod issues. They do look pretty wimpy for a truck this heavy.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I came across this solution the other day. It's a tie rod sleeve that goes over the existing stock tie rod to bolster it.
They are in the process of making them and will be on the website soon.
www.dirtyhookerdiesel.com

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

That is crazy. Sure seems like we are hearing about more of these tie rod issues. They do look pretty wimpy for a truck this heavy.
Yeah, this isn’t great news if we want to go off-road.

I came across this solution the other day. It's a tie rod sleeve that goes over the existing stock tie rod to bolster it.
That looks like a great solution, but is there a risk of breaking something else?

I could be wrong, but I think of the tie rods as being sacrificial in that they break first to prevent damaging more expensive parts of the suspension and steering gear. Kind of like the physical version of an electrical fuse, but requiring a lot more labor to replace than swapping a fuse. Of course, even if we took the precaution of bringing extra tie rods with us, being on a trail could make replacement challenging or impossible.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

But then what breaks...the rack? Beef up something and the next weak link down the line will break instead...and likely something more expensive.

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Is this not the same repair from last year?
I distinctly remember it spawning a discussion about the tie rod being weaker to act as a sacrificial piece that saves the other more involved suspension components

I even asked the service center when I took delivery if they could sell loose tie rods for this reason…

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Is this not the same repair from last year?
I distinctly remember it spawning a discussion about the tie rod being weaker to act as a sacrificial piece that saves the other more involved suspension components

I even asked the service center when I took delivery if they could sell loose tie rods for this reason…
If you’re thinking of this one it’s a different Rivian, but similar issue and on-trail welding was also the fix: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-broken-tie-rod-off-road-recovery.7082/

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Do a search for weak tierods on the new Bronco's... Tierods are also a weak point on many other vehicles, and always require upgrades, usually before something like in the video is even attempted. Hells Gate at Moab is hard on any truck/ suv, like real hard. People are taking a worse case scenerio, then jumping to conclusions and then second guessing a purchase of the Rivian based off it. This even though they have no intention of ever driving on something so difficult... crazy!!!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

That looks like a great solution, but is there a risk of breaking something else?

I could be wrong, but I think of the tie rods as being sacrificial in that they break first to prevent damaging more expensive parts of the suspension and steering gear. Kind of like the physical version of an electrical fuse, but requiring a lot more labor to replace than swapping a fuse. Of course, even if we took the precaution of bringing extra tie rods with us, being on a trail could make replacement challenging or impossible.
But then what breaks...the rack? Beef up something and the next weak link down the line will break instead...and likely something more expensive.
In this instance, and another that we saw of a tie rod snapping on a Red R1T, I would argue they could be reinforced even to a minor degree without resulting in other components being broken.

It also depends on how you drive it, If you're smacking a curb at a high rate of speed, I'd expect it to break, but slowly moving along a trail and the wheel catches something slightly off angle, I'd be inclined to reinforce that component just in case.

People mod vehicles all the time, to make them more "off-road worthy" this is no different. It would likely still break along the tie rod somewhere before the rack was damaged, but when you off road you have to expect damage to happen to some degree otherwise your fun level isn't as high as it could be!

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

extra tie rods are something people carry right? Maybe it's worth getting an extra even if you need a recovery company to help with the repairs?

Reactions: VSG

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

People are taking a worse case scenerio, then jumping to conclusions and then second guessing a purchase of the Rivian based off it. This even though they have no intention of ever driving on something so difficult... crazy!!!
Are people actually second-guessing their Rivian purchase because of an issue someone had on a difficult trail, especially when they don't know how aggressively the driver was before the failure? I plan to just keep this in mind as a possibility and be more aware when rock crawling.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

That’s how I have always thought of them -as *somewhat* sacrificial. Breaking one on Hell’s Gate is not that strange, but I thought another one posted here was not anything like that - although we never saw pictures. We probably need much more data before we get too critical.

Being able to carry 2(?!) spares along with on a Moab trip would probably help one sleep better.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was looking at the tie rods on the Hummer EV and they're very similar, so Rivian isn't alone, just depends on how much you push a stock tie rod.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Just like other vehicles, the aftermarket will offer up a series of more robust components for serious offroaders as the vehicles get more popular/produced.

AND like racing, once you get out there and apply stresses to vehicles, you are going to break things. It's pretty normal.

I broke a drag link 4x4ing. Broke drive shafts, axles, engines, transmissions, racing.

Probably an upgraded rack/ and steering components are required along with maybe a stabilizer shock. Winch bumper, HD Tow hooks
Sponsored