Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Is the van line really 85k capacity? That's interesting that they are prioritizing commercial over consumer. They must really want to focus on the market opportunity in that space. I mean, it makes sense. There are fewer competitors and creating a first-mover advantage in that space could be a huge asset for the company. However, as a pre-order holder, I am bummed that they may become known as a commercial van company one day and the consumer line may become less and less important if commercial becomes their most viable business line.
However, cheaper passenger vehicles are promised ASAP!
Sponsored

ptran2k9

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Perf
Occupation
cool dude
my preorder just increased 20k? do they think they're Tesla? both of my preorders are probably getting cancelled. guess that's one way to solve the supply chain issue, by decreasing demand.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
my preorder just increased 20k? do they think they're Tesla? both of my preorders are probably getting cancelled. guess that's one way to solve the supply chain issue, by decreasing demand.
Considering how very similar they are to Tesla ...

I blame you. Prices would have stayed the same if you hadn't started this thread. :)
Yep! What's the saying? "Mention the Devil enough times, eventually, you'll summon him". :p

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

yep we were all just hoping this wouldn't happen to the Launch editions and to the people that have been waiting for years.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Yep! What's the saying? "Mention the Devil enough times, eventually, you'll summon him". :p
OK, who said Beetlejuice 3 times in a row?!?!?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This
I have said since the R1T and R1S prices were revealed that despite the vehicles being obviously quite expensive, they are actually a an amazing value when you consider what you're getting and what you're competing against. Unfortunately I am personally becoming less and less convinced that these advertised prices can actually be legit due to a few reasons:

GUT FEELING 1: No meaningful price adjustments conveyed despite significant inflation and supply chain disruption, huge increases at Tesla

GUT FEELING 2: Current Model Y Performance is $63K, 82 kwh, dual motor, fixed suspension. $68K R1T has 135 kwh, 4 motors, adaptive air suspension, and a much larger vehicle. Lucid's cheapest vehicle is ~$80K. New vehicles like EV6/Ioniq5, Mach-E are all easily pushing $60K+, despite being much smaller, simpler vehicles with much smaller battery capacity.

GUT FEELING 3: Comparable pricing to Ford Lightning (similarly equipped), despite Ford being able to leverage huge swaths of their existing F-150 production line and supply chain. Despite this, Ford will still only build 20K units in 2022 and will prob not make money on them.

FROM THE HORSES MOUTH: Exec from discrimination lawsuit claimed exactly this, that pricing structure isn't realistic and that Rivian's plan is to increase prices post-IPO

Obviously this is all speculation, but everything that sounds too good to be true always is. Tesla's cheapest vehicle with air suspension is $95K and that's a smaller vehicle with a smaller battery. I just don't see how a brand new company can sell an 800 HP EV truck that competes with Land Rover suspension and interior quality for what they're quoting.
I'm going to blame you for this.
Sponsored