First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Well - for me, this post had a bombshell - space in the doors for a dog leash and tennis balls. I _think_ that is the first mention of anything dog related from Rivian - ever. Since about 40% of adults in USA own a dog - versus, I dunno, maybe 1% that own a vehicle tent - they need to nail this use case.
The fact that a truck can carry tennis balls and dog leash is a bombshell? I think they can do better than that, like pet mode to maintain climate in the cab while parked. Subaru has done a good job marketing to pet owners. I'm sure pets will love going for a ride in a Rivian at least as much as a Subaru.
Sponsored

wdlikatruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ipace, cx-9
Occupation
attorney
I would be very surprised if they have changed dashboard screen layout as there has been absolutely no evidence of this on any of the photos and sightings that are becoming more and more common as launch approaches.

There is no need for conspiracy theories in regards to lack of interior photos in the current update. The email this week states "Look for a follow-up post soon with details on the R1T interior"and the story page itself states "This week, weā€™re starting with the exterior. Weā€™ll follow up soon with a look inside."

If we were to have got a good look at the interior in the most recent update, a week from now people who dissect every photo would be complaining that they learned nothing new from the upcoming interior update; which will likely still happen in any case.
Hmmm. Were there any last minute changes to the exterior specs in the latest reveal? (Answer: Yes.)
All your arguments apply equally well to exterior images. The facts (not theories) remain: (i) Rivian continues to reserve the right to alter production version from previously disclosures; and (ii) Rivian has carefully omitted interior dash images from official releases during the past few months (and is not yet displaying production version ~1 month from first deliveries).
If it's all the same, or very nearly the same, why hasn't it been available to view in the meantime?
Of course it will eventually be available to view . . . subject to the aforementioned disclaimers.
-- Forums are fun, wishful thinking is even more fun. . . . like road-tripping from Texas to So. Cal. with no actual destination . . .

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
-- Forums are fun, wishful thinking is even more fun. . . . like road-tripping from Texas to So. Cal. with no actual destination . . .
Sounds like that would be So Cal... ?ā€ā™‚

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Well, the "110V outlets" (which are obviously 120V, grrr) are described as "15 amp" plugs. So maybe they have an 1,800 watt inverter? If so, great. but I suspect this is another marketing flub and they just mean the plugs are the type of plugs that you use at home which at home can supply 15A, but in the truck, some lower wattage.

At this rate, we'll have to wait until someone plugs in a hair dryer into the plug and reports back what happens ?
I would think that an inverter won't be necessary. The truck will come with a 11KW onboard charger for charging the drive battery. Running it the other way is basically a 240 volt 11,000 watt inverter.... Assume they will just tap off of that?

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would think that an inverter won't be necessary. The truck will come with a 11KW onboard charger for charging the drive battery. Running it the other way is basically a 240 volt 11,000 watt inverter.... Assume they will just tap off of that?
You canā€™t run a rectifier in reverse.

There are lots of inverters on the vehicle. One on each motor and probably one on the AC compressor, air compressor, and coolant pump (or one shared between all three). Apparently one more for the outlets too. ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You canā€™t run a rectifier in reverse.

There are lots of inverters on the vehicle. One on each motor and probably one on the AC compressor, air compressor, and coolant pump (or one shared between all three). Apparently one more for the outlets too. ?
Tesla has one inverter unit in the rear and one in the front. The front inverter also handles the A/C. I would be surprised if Rivian didn't use a similar arrangement.

I would guess the compressor is DC brushless.... but that's just a guess.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Tesla has one inverter unit in the rear and one in the front. The front inverter also handles the A/C. I would be surprised if Rivian didn't use a similar arrangement.
Tesla ā€œdrive unitsā€ all have their own integrated inverter as one unit, the other cylindrical drum opposite the actual rotor, stator, and gear reduction. Itā€˜s also the motor controller, it directly connects its 3 phase outputs via bus bar to the motor windings, and modulates those itself to control speed and torque. Rivian may use a single inverter per side and use separate controller units to modulate the AC, but I would bet that using 2 smaller inverters as both inverter and controller would be more compact and efficient.

The battery penthouse doesnā€™t have an inverter in it, the AC compressor they use has a 400V DC input, its either got its own inverter built in, or itā€˜s a DC motor. All high voltage accessories in a Tesla take DC input, thereā€™s no AC power distribution in a Tesla, except for the charger input.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tesla ā€œdrive unitsā€ all have their own integrated inverter as one unit, the other cylindrical drum opposite the actual rotor, stator, and gear reduction. Itā€˜s also the motor controller, it directly connects its 3 phase outputs via bus bar to the motor windings, and modulates those itself to control speed and torque. Rivian may use a single inverter per side and use separate controller units to modulate the AC, but I would bet that using 2 smaller inverters as both inverter and controller would be more compact and efficient.

The battery penthouse doesnā€™t have an inverter in it, the AC compressor they use has a 400V DC input, its either got its own inverter built in, or itā€˜s a DC motor. All high voltage accessories in a Tesla take DC input, thereā€™s no AC power distribution in a Tesla, except for the charger input.
This tear-down of a Model S shows there are definitely discrete inverter units. The rear unit is mounted under the rear bench seat.

At 39:55 you can see the A/C unit actually plugged into the front inverter module, too.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
This tear-down of a Model S shows there are definitely discrete inverter units. The rear unit is mounted under the rear bench seat.

At 39:55 you can see the A/C unit actually plugged into the front inverter module, too.
this is the exact video Iā€™m getting info from. The unit under the rear seat is the on-board charger, which is a rectifier, not an inverter. The front unit is what he calls a High Power Distribution Module, and is essentially a high-voltage fuse box with some logic components, like a smart junction box in the 12-volt system of modern ICE cars. It has no inverter.

At 40:35 in that video he says the AC compressor has a 400V DC input, and its own built-in inverter. I donā€™t know if heā€™s assuming about the inverter, but he usually pulls up the data sheet from the component manufacturer and goes off that, so I assume heā€™s correct, even though he doesnā€™t show his work ?

Weber Auto has 2 other videos of drive unit tear downs, where he shows both inverters built into the drive units opposite the motors as I described.

Also, at about 33:26, you see the 4 fuses for the 4 accessory outputs of the HPDM (AC compressor, DC/DC converter, coolant heater, passenger compartment heater) but only bus bars to the motor outputs, as they are not fused by the HPDM, just the pyrofuse. The front motor output is a direct connection to the battery from the Rapid Splitter, just like the rear motor. If it were inverted to AC, it would need 3 cables instead of 2, since it's a three-phase motor.

Last edited:

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: