First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Compare production Frunk to prototype, the prototype seemed fabric lined w/hooks and better lighting, now it looks like they drop in a plastic tub. Pinching pennies. ...
I'd rather the plastic tub personally. I would have liked the hook system though.
Sponsored

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
If someone posted this, I missed it. After reviewing the exterior specs in Rivian's latest e-mail, I decided to place down on the floor of my garage, an orange square "exactly" to the exterior spec of the Rivian. Then I drove my 2018 GMC Sierra Crew Cab/Short Box "exactly" over the top of it. Once I had it perfectly aligned and plumbed, it was very cool. The width of the Rivian (mirrors in) was the same as the width of my GMC Sierra. The Length of the Rivian was 13.5" shorter. The length of the Rivian bed with gate up was 14" shorter. So it turns out to be just the truck I want, and I believe what Rivian wanted to build. A truck with basically the same crew cab interior space as my 2018 GMC, but 14" shorter for easier handling and moving around in tight spaces. One other note...with the gate down, my GMC bed was only 8.4" longer, so the gooseneck hinge does its job. As you can see, when we get a sunny day in WI, we think of things to do.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Compare production Frunk to prototype, the prototype seemed fabric lined w/hooks and better lighting, now it looks like they drop in a plastic tub. Pinching pennies. ...
That is definitely a disappointment, for me. I can live with the plastic tub but I hope they have a carpet floor mat for the bottom, at least. The grocery hooks were a big deal, for me. I really hope those are in the production version. Even if it's a paid accessory I want it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is definitely a disappointment, for me. I can live with the plastic tub but I hope they have a carpet floor mat for the bottom, at least. The grocery hooks were a big deal, for me. I really hope those are in the production version. Even if it's a paid accessory I want it.

?

Last edited:

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
The width of the Rivian (mirrors in) was the same as the width of my GMC Sierra.
Yep. Most consumer pickups are this width. It’s as wide as you’re allowed to be without front clearance lights, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Well - for me, this post had a bombshell - space in the doors for a dog leash and tennis balls. I _think_ that is the first mention of anything dog related from Rivian - ever. Since about 40% of adults in USA own a dog - versus, I dunno, maybe 1% that own a vehicle tent - they need to nail this use case.
Was the dog in the final picture a Pudelpointer? Sure looked like one.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Was the dog in the final picture a Pudelpointer? Sure looked like one.
I'd never heard of that one - would be a "pointdoodle" today, eh? I see that same image was used in the email from Rivian.

Which, for some reason, I got two of - one "Hi There" and another "Hi Keith" - looking back I always have gotten the one with my name - the "Hi There" is new.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'd never heard of that one - would be a "pointdoodle" today, eh? I see that same image was used in the email from Rivian.

Which, for some reason, I got two of - one "Hi There" and another "Hi Keith" - looking back I always have gotten the one with my name - the "Hi There" is new.
Interesting, I never paid attention to the salutation for the announcements.

I went back and looked, the previous ones have had my name. I only got the one from this Friday's announcement that said Hi There..... Never got the one with my name in the salutation.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

I also received both of those.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

Bpcunning

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Charger R/T, ‘20 Explorer ST
Occupation
Mech. Engineer
If someone posted this, I missed it. After reviewing the exterior specs in Rivian's latest e-mail, I decided to place down on the floor of my garage, an orange square "exactly" to the exterior spec of the Rivian. Then I drove my 2018 GMC Sierra Crew Cab/Short Box "exactly" over the top of it. Once I had it perfectly aligned and plumbed, it was very cool. The width of the Rivian (mirrors in) was the same as the width of my GMC Sierra. The Length of the Rivian was 13.5" shorter. The length of the Rivian bed with gate up was 14" shorter. So it turns out to be just the truck I want, and I believe what Rivian wanted to build. A truck with basically the same crew cab interior space as my 2018 GMC, but 14" shorter for easier handling and moving around in tight spaces. One other note...with the gate down, my GMC bed was only 8.4" longer, so the gooseneck hinge does its job. As you can see, when we get a sunny day in WI, we think of things to do.
Thanks for this. I was pretty sure that the dimensions all matched the crew cab (cab itself) size, but sometimes manufacturers use different references (mirrors out, folded, excluded for example). I'm also pleased that it's 100% full size cab with the midsize (+, when open) bed, which is ideal for me.

Any chance you looked at the front overhang? My concern is how much room I'll be left with in the garage when tucked in just right, and having to maybe factor in the charging plug eating into some of that space.

Same with me, about 20 minutes apart.
Any chance this is because we are pre-order holders AND subscribed to updates? There's likley some folks who want updates but haven't put the money down yet, and for those people this would seem to be a fairly comprehensive update. I'm assuming they'll get the mail merge logic sorted out for future updates if that's the case.
Sponsored