Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
This white makes it look so BIG. Then I realized it's a lot bigger than I'm used to with JGC. Literally longer, wider, taller.

Of course it doesn't help that my brain keeps saying the tree behind it is the spare tire like on the back of a Wrangler.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Agreed. Definitely can keep something cool. And I was thinking the exact same thing. Some milk for a baby/toddler.

But I'd be cautious forgetting it in there haha.
So here are results. Ambient was mid 80's and overcast to partly cloudy (we had a cold front move through, high only 93 today). AC set to 72 auto, which ended up staying mostly in the "two dots" fan level. I did find that overriding auto and cranking up fan speed made it cool down faster in the cubby. Sensors in console cubby and gear tunnel.

After one hour the cubby was 65 and the tunnel was 90. After 1.5 hours, the cubby was 62 and tunnel still 90. My metal wallet was cold to the touch, similar to my previous experience (which was also after about a 1.5hr drive).

So good news everyone, the cubby is the perfect place to store your 2012 Caymus.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

By the way, does everyone know that the center console is effectively a fridge???

I have a Ridge wallet (metal), and often keep it in there. On a long drive recently in 100d temps with AC running, I took it out when I arrived at destination and it was COLD as if I had put it in an actual fridge. I don't know if it's the ducts running to the rear seat vents on the back of it, but I'm really curious to put a temp sensor in there to test.

Maybe others on here with sensors can test?
Good to know for road beers!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Or road beans if the heater is on
Then again, if you just eat the beans before you drive then you don't need the heater at all!

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Good to know for road beers!
Not quite that cold. It got down to nearly 60 after 1.5hrs of AC runtime. Don't know the temp of the air being run through ducts and blown out vents, but don't imagine it's much lower than that.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
So here are results. Ambient was mid 80's and overcast to partly cloudy (we had a cold front move through, high only 93 today). AC set to 72 auto, which ended up staying mostly in the "two dots" fan level. I did find that overriding auto and cranking up fan speed made it cool down faster in the cubby. Sensors in console cubby and gear tunnel.

After one hour the cubby was 65 and the tunnel was 90. After 1.5 hours, the cubby was 62 and tunnel still 90. My metal wallet was cold to the touch, similar to my previous experience (which was also after about a 1.5hr drive).

So good news everyone, the cubby is the perfect place to store your 2012 Caymus.
Be careful though. 60 degrees is cool not cold enough to prevent food decay. Per FDA guidelines store perishable food like dairy under 40 degrees.

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Look at the very first page of the manual and youā€˜ll see the software version it describes. Currently thatā€™s 2022.19.X.
94B10E85-5231-407F-B108-922E6D2EBA64.jpeg

If the hardware is there for more than the current right/left zones and a future software release makes the hardware usable then the corresponding version of the manual will show more zones.

If I recall correctly, there is a recent example of this. The R1T manual didnā€™t always describe the garage door opener operation as it does now because the software didnā€™t support the hardware when the truck was delivered to early customers. Early deliveries had no garage door opener even though the hardware was there because the software wasnā€™t ready for it.

Thereā€™s certainly no guarantee that HVAC changes are coming, but the current 2022.19.X manual doesnā€™t prove that changes are impossible.

edit: typo
Saw this on reddit today, looks like the hardware for quad-zone is indeed there. Just need the software.
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing Up the R1S : Official Rivian Feature. Explore our uncompromising sport utility vehicle from every angle. Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 4.01.22 PM
Sponsored