Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rear Seats are heated only.
Did they clarify? I know that's how it is in the T, but the only place you can find that fact was in the "inside stories" of the T

Edit
Disregard. I found the information in the R1S manual. Rear seats are heated. 3rd row? but second yes.
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing Up the R1S : Official Rivian Feature. Explore our uncompromising sport utility vehicle from every angle. 1656364536386
Sponsored

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I wouldn't bet on it. Seems like dual zone (Left and Right) are all that there will be, just like in the R1T.
yup, thats how i read it. dual zone, 2nd/3rd row are controlled by 2nd row but its all one temp/speed across 2nd/3rd row.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
yup, thats how i read it. dual zone, 2nd/3rd row are controlled by 2nd row but its all one temp/speed across 2nd/3rd row.
What you describe is not dual zone.

1) Driver
2) Passenger
3) 2nd and 3rd rows

That = 3 zones. I think I'm missing something.

I think what others are suggesting is that there will only be 2 zones.

1) Driver
2) Passenger

The 2nd and 3rd rows will not be able to select their own temp as you suggested if it's a dual zone system.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
What you describe is not dual zone.

1) Driver
2) Passenger
3) 2nd and 3rd rows

That = 3 zones. I think I'm missing something.

I think what others are suggesting is that there will only be 2 zones.

1) Driver
2) Passenger

The 2nd and 3rd rows will not be able to select their own temp as you suggested if it's a dual zone system.
yeah, I think best case there's a "3rd zone" that's just vent control for the back, with temperature and speed slaved to the driver and passenger zones.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I don't want to rain on any parades, but I'd bet pretty heavily against this possibility. I think it comes down to a couple of fans, two main ducts, and controllable shutters at each vent. You can easily toggle any area (not just the two zones) with the shutters, but it seems to me that the number of separate temperature zones are a function of the fans + ducts (and ability to blend between the AC and heater core), which implies different hardware upstream of the duct.

For assembly reasons alone, I'd expect the upstream components to be identical to the R1T and force two zones maximum.

Layperson's non-expert opinion, take it or leave it :)
Except that we don’t know if the R1T is currently limited to 2 zones by lack of hardware or lack of software. If we could see a repair manual which shows the components of the HVAC then we’d have more info.

There is a major difference between R1T & R1S: the third row vents in the C-pillar. To my eye, it looks like the third row is using a different blower motor behind a grill in the driver’s side of the cargo area. I don’t know how else they’d get ducts up high on the C-pillar when the rest of the ducts all touch the dashboard area. Maybe they run ducts from the dashboard along the sills under the carpet and then up to the C-pillar. I don’t recall seeing any other SUV or minivan with a setup like that though. I suspect a duct run like that would not provide great performance for the third row vents.

Maybe we’ll get more answers when the embargo is lifted. I’m certainly not counting on anything more than two zones: one for each side. It would be greatly appreciated if they had three as @dleewla described: Driver, front passenger, and second + third rows

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Did anyone else find this statement interesting? “Climate for the second and third rows of the R1S can be controlled on the display mounted in front of the second row's middle seat.”

I’m inferring that there will be a third zone of climate control for the 2nd and 3rd rows based on that.
I'm not inferring that at all - sounds more to me like it literally means there is one set of controls for 2nd & 3rd row, not individual. I'm hoping to be wrong with 3 dedicated zones but I find it's best to set expectations lower rather than higher with Rivian right now.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
My 80lb Berner will happily leap into my R1T rear seats even in "normal" height, which is about where the tailgate should be.

Honestly it's the descent I worry about - for larger breeds the jump can be pretty hard on joints even if they don't seem to mind it. A helping hand or a ramp goes a long way.
Curious, my dogs get into my 4Runner just fine but usually use the foot area as a stepping stone to the seat. Does yours as well? I don’t think my dogs could comfortably leap into the seats directly which would be similar to the elevation of the rear gate. I plan on buying a ramp or building a low profile one that could attach to the gate itself and then be pulled down so I don’t use up space for a loose ramp in the back.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Rear Seats are heated only.
ventilation/ cooling in the front seats only is pretty much standard industry-wide. As for heated seats in the rear, do we have confirmation of this? It's a huge fail if Rivian is only doing the fronts and this vague marketing for the R1S doesn't say / only mentions the front seats.

EDIT -> Ah, I see the 2nd row is indeed heated. The third row is probably not...

Last edited:

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Not just the dog.. how did the kids get in... these vehicles need some sort of side steps.
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing Up the R1S : Official Rivian Feature. Explore our uncompromising sport utility vehicle from every angle. 1656374229831

Riding one (edit: an R1T) in person recently, I kind of wish there was at least a hidden running board. Not for me, but I can imagine children, the elderly, or someone with physical constraints having a hard time.

"Kneel Mode" being official would work too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
You think Lord Stanley's Cup would fit if you folded down both back seat rows?

Asking for a friend.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
That strongly implies three or four zone climate. Which is new, or at least an improvement over the R1T's dual zone climate.
No just means 2nd and 3rd row are the same zone and controlled by the screen in the 2nd row. Consistent with the manual.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
No just means 2nd and 3rd row are the same zone and controlled by the screen in the 2nd row. Consistent with the manual.
On the R1T the second row is on the same zones as the first row. If the 2nd / 3rd row are can be controlled separately from the front that would be new.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
On the R1T the second row is on the same zones as the first row. If the 2nd / 3rd row are can be controlled separately from the front that would be new.
Ah yes. It could just be fan speed control for the 2nd and 3rd. I wouldn't bet against the manual.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Lots of speculation here about the climate control zones.

The manual is pretty helpful here. In summary... The 2nd and 3rd rows cannot select their own temperatures. They can adjust the rear fans, but they are stuck with the temperatures set for the front seats.

Rivian R1T R1S Sizing Up the R1S : Official Rivian Feature. Explore our uncompromising sport utility vehicle from every angle. Screenshot_2022-06-27-21-52-40-49_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f
Sponsored