Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Used the fridge all day today, driving from Sandy to Boise (will post a trip report soon). The fridge/freezer have worked great so far. I discovered that the 12V outlets are not always on, so the fridge was turning off when the car would go to sleep. So I am using the 120 outlet behind the seat. I am riding solo with my dog in the back so fridge is riding on the front passenger floor area.

Stuff in the freezer is still frozen and the stuff in the fridge side is cold but not frozen. So passes all of my tests. The app is a bit cheap but it works, includes all settings and gives all pertinent information.
Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I wouldn’t buy a DC fridge if I was going to use the 120 outlets.
I discovered that the 12V outlets are not always on, so the fridge was turning off when the car would go to sleep. So I am using the 120 outlet behind the seat.
So much for that.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I decided to try out the Bodega. Anyone have any experience with this brand? ().

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So much for that.
I bet you daisy chaining a battery generator that's small (like this one that's 129 on amazon right now) would work:

Rivian R1T R1S Sizing it up.. my power cooler arrived.. ICECO GO20 Dual Zone 1651168175432

We do this all the time with our dometic and our 12v outlet in the trunk already when we go on road trips. I would assume I would need it again for this application. Since the compressor doesn't run full time, I think this should run at least 1-2 full day without needing a recharge.

I'm currently using a much larger Ecoflow that can power my dometic for 5-7 days on average in 70-80 degree weather while maintaining 36 degrees in the fridge , so it'll be overkill for trips, but it works shockingly well.

Rivian R1T R1S Sizing it up.. my power cooler arrived.. ICECO GO20 Dual Zone 1651168292189

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I bet you daisy chaining a battery generator that's small (like this one that's 129 on amazon right now) would work:

1651168175432.png

We do this all the time with our dometic and our 12v outlet in the trunk already when we go on road trips. I would assume I would need it again for this application. Since the compressor doesn't run full time, I think this should run at least 1-2 full day without needing a recharge.

I'm currently using a much larger Ecoflow that can power my dometic for 5-7 days on average in 70-80 degree weather while maintaining 36 degrees in the fridge , so it'll be overkill for trips, but it works shockingly well.

1651168292189.png
Interesting! For a novice, what does that help you do?

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Interesting! For a novice, what does that help you do?
This would buffer the 12v so the battery charges while you're are on 12V and then the fridge will run off the battery.

It will work if you want to run somewhere with only 12v (e.g. frunk) but if you're trying to max efficiency, the losses from 12v->battery->12v are probably at least as bad as just using the 110v outlet.

Reactions: Zac

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This would buffer the 12v so the battery charges while you're are on 12V and then the fridge will run off the battery.

It will work if you want to run somewhere with only 12v (e.g. frunk) but if you're trying to max efficiency, the losses from 12v->battery->12v are probably at least as bad as just using the 110v outlet.
@kylealden and @Zac
I actually used multimeters to check the efficiency, but I found that the Dometics were significantly more efficient using the 12v DC daisy chain vs plugging in the cooler at 110 AC, which requires conversion.

At 110AC, they were pulling 25-30w baseline, vs .5-1w baseline on 12v DC. when the compressor wasn't running. My battery pack would drain in a few hours vs a few days. YMMV depending on how your cooler operates.

Using Dometic CFX3 cooler w/ Ecoflow 700wh battery.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I stand very corrected :)

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I stand very corrected :)
Haha..no worries. I assumed it would be the same, but when battery drain was insane, i then tried the different combos. 12v DC input-->battery that's native 12/24v DC --> 12V DC operated fridge is as good as it gets.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Used the fridge all day today, driving from Sandy to Boise (will post a trip report soon). The fridge/freezer have worked great so far. I discovered that the 12V outlets are not always on, so the fridge was turning off when the car would go to sleep. So I am using the 120 outlet behind the seat. I am riding solo with my dog in the back so fridge is riding on the front passenger floor area.

Stuff in the freezer is still frozen and the stuff in the fridge side is cold but not frozen. So passes all of my tests. The app is a bit cheap but it works, includes all settings and gives all pertinent information.
Which 12v outlets? Did they always turned off/according to the truck being on/off? The consensus was that they were on ALWAYS.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

1651168175432.png

1651168292189.png
They look fantastic, but such a massive truck battery. These should never be needed.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I discovered that the 12V outlets are not always on, so the fridge was turning off when the car would go to sleep.
Are they actually turning off or was the fridge going into battery protection mode and killing itself?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They look fantastic, but such a massive truck battery. These should never be needed.
Yeah, true. But then keeping the 400v HV battery draining while on standby seems very inefficient. This is really there to keep the cooler running while the car is off and we're out on a hike, eating lunch, at the beach, etc

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yeah, true. But then keeping the 400v HV battery draining while on standby seems very inefficient. This is really there to keep the cooler running while the car is off and we're out on a hike, eating lunch, at the beach, etc
Fair enough.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Are they actually turning off or was the fridge going into battery protection mode and killing itself?
It's possible but I have the battery protection set to low so I wouldn't expect so, it turns off pretty quickly after the car goes to sleep. Also the owners manual says they are on when the vehicle is on.
Sponsored